Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeanette Guire, Oct 15, 2007.

  1. I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
    serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

    The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch molded as
    a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera body. The fix
    has been described in various ways by various users in other threads. The
    fix isn't the point of this thread.

    DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/

    DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix3100-review/

    STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3100.html

    The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could the
    reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have totally missed
    the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a brick due to the obvious
    poor engineering that wasn't visible to the consumer but which should have
    been wholly obvious to the "professional" camera reviewer?

    Is it that the reviewers are:
    - Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
    - Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
    - Clueless?
    - ??? or ???

    Jeanette Guire, Oct 15, 2007

  2. Jeanette Guire

    Eric Guest

    I'm curious what this has to do with home repair?

    Eric, Oct 15, 2007

  3. Jeanette Guire

    Charles Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:09:24 -0400, "Eric" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm curious what this has to do with home repair?
    >
    >"Jeanette Guire" <> wrote in message news:t2LQi.10811$...
    >> I'm curious why...

    You have to repair the camera when you get it home.

    Charles, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Re: Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a seriousflaw in the camera?

    Brendan Gillatt, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Jeanette Guire

    HeyBub Guest

    Jeanette Guire wrote:
    > I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a
    > very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.
    >
    > The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
    > molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera
    > body. The fix has been described in various ways by various users in
    > other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

    You came to the right place with your concerns.

    Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
    unaimously recommend:

    Duct tape.

    Hope this helps.

    HeyBub, Oct 15, 2007
  6. Jeanette Guire

    Al Bundy Guest

    "HeyBub" <> wrote in

    > Jeanette Guire wrote:
    >> I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a
    >> very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.
    >>
    >> The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
    >> molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera
    >> body. The fix has been described in various ways by various users in
    >> other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

    > You came to the right place with your concerns.
    >
    > Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
    > unaimously recommend:
    >
    > Duct tape.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Absolutely listen to this recommendation. This guy knows his shit big
    time.

    You must have heard the famous saying, "When someone says Duct Tape,
    people listen."

    Al Bundy, Oct 15, 2007
  7. Jeanette Guire

    RickH Guest

    On Oct 15, 9:45 am, Jeanette Guire <>
    wrote:
    > I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
    > serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.
    >
    > The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch molded as
    > a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera body. The fix
    > has been described in various ways by various users in other threads. The
    > fix isn't the point of this thread.
    >
    > DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/
    >
    > DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix3100-review/
    >
    > STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3100.html
    >
    > The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could the
    > reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have totally missed
    > the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a brick due to the obvious
    > poor engineering that wasn't visible to the consumer but which should have
    > been wholly obvious to the "professional" camera reviewer?
    >
    > Is it that the reviewers are:
    > - Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
    > - Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
    > - Clueless?
    > - ??? or ???

    I guess the Nikon name just doesn't carry the same weight it once did,
    if its cameras are associated with China manufacturing then they've
    just sold that venerable good name down the river, it's mudd now.

    RickH, Oct 15, 2007
  8. Re: Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a seriousflaw in the camera?

    Al Bundy wrote:
    > "HeyBub" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Jeanette Guire wrote:
    >>> I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a
    >>> very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.
    >>>
    >>> The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
    >>> molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera
    >>> body. The fix has been described in various ways by various users in
    >>> other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

    >> You came to the right place with your concerns.
    >>
    >> Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
    >> unaimously recommend:
    >>
    >> Duct tape.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.

    > Absolutely listen to this recommendation. This guy knows his shit big
    > time.
    >
    > You must have heard the famous saying, "When someone says Duct Tape,
    > people listen."

    Darn tootin'! Nothing says "I love you" more than a
    fresh-off-the-production-line full roll of silver duct tape. But most
    people ask for "Duck Tape". Quack, quack!

    --
    fu set.

    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Oct 15, 2007
  9. Jeanette Guire

    flambe Guest

    These kinds of small issues that plague consumers are rarely considered in
    reviews. While some of these design flaws may be significant they just don't
    come up in reviews that are focused solely on image quality.
    Even more to the point is the suspicion that reviewers get cherry picked
    cameras/lenses that are not of the build quality that the consume can
    expect. How else to explain the frequent discrepancy between lens reviews
    and what users actually experience?
    I'm looking at the rubberized side caps over the electonic ports in my D80
    and wonder how long they would last if frequently used.

    flambe, Oct 15, 2007
  10. Jeanette Guire

    Dave Guest

    "HeyBub" <> wrote in message
    your concerns.

    > Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
    > unaimously recommend:
    >
    > Duct tape.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Or rubber bands. Larger applications can use bungee cords. Packing tape
    will do in a pinch if you're short on duct tape, but must be supplemented
    with twine.

    You could have dragged your lazy ass into a store and looked at the camera
    yourself. Probably would've taken less time overall than all your whining.
    Did it ever occur to you that if you buy a cheap camera at the low end of
    the model scale such as CoolPix, you just might get a friggin' piece of
    trash? Did it never occur to you that virtually all consumer-grade
    electronics have become completely disposable? Or that Nikon has a vested
    interest in ensuring that that camera you just bought DOESN'T last 20 years?

    Suck it up and admit to yourself that it was your own damned fault.

    Or get a small dog to kick. But whatever you do, do it someplace else.

    Dave, Oct 15, 2007
  11. Jeanette Guire

    just bob Guest

    Do you feel better now?

    We're you expecting a real answer?

    just bob, Oct 15, 2007
  12. Re: Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a seriousflaw in the camera?

    RickH wrote:

    > I guess the Nikon name just doesn't carry the same weight it once did,
    > if its cameras are associated with China manufacturing then they've
    > just sold that venerable good name down the river, it's mudd now.

    You get what you pay for.

    Nikon have, do, and will continue to make cameras in their range that are
    almost indestructible. Not the entire range they offer, just some.

    Price is a good indicator.

    If you expect hardy equipment at rock bottom prices, you're fooling yourself.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org>

    John Tserkezis, Oct 16, 2007
  13. "Jeanette Guire" <> wrote in message
    > I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
    > serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

    You broke your battery door. And its everyone else's fault?

    /M

    Moro Grubb of Little Delving, Oct 16, 2007
  14. Re: Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a seriousflaw in the camera?

    Moro Grubb of Little Delving wrote:

    > You broke your battery door. And its everyone else's fault?

    Don't forget the subsequent whining about how the paperclip repair is
    supposed to be bent. Now it's the fault of those who offer repair techniques too.

    John Tserkezis, Oct 16, 2007
  15. Jeanette Guire

    HankLanglin Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:27:56 -0700, John McWilliams <> wrote:

    >Al Bundy wrote:
    >> "HeyBub" <> wrote in

    >>> You came to the right place with your concerns.
    >>>
    >>> Experts here at alt.home.repair are ready to deal with your worries. We
    >>> unaimously recommend:
    >>>
    >>> Duct tape.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps.

    >> Absolutely listen to this recommendation. This guy knows his shit big
    >> time.
    >>
    >> You must have heard the famous saying, "When someone says Duct Tape,
    >> people listen."

    >Darn tootin'! Nothing says "I love you" more than a
    >fresh-off-the-production-line full roll of silver duct tape. But most
    >people ask for "Duck Tape". Quack, quack!

    The most inventive use I've ever seen for duct-tape to make the most efficient
    and low-cost watercraft ever ------ Red Green used sections of straight and
    elbow air-ducts (the large 2x2 ft. variety). Creating two pontoons by taping the
    sections together. The elbows upturned at the ends to keep the water out, the
    shape making a boat-bow for easier movement in water. A section of chain-link
    fence across the two pontoons with some lawn furniture on top. It worked
    perfectly.

    How is this camera related? If some photographers built one they might be able
    to get to some scenes worth viewing by others. Those who inflict the world with
    their agonizingly boring cat and birdbath photos need all the help and advice
    that they can get. If not for them, then for the rest of us who have to endure
    their relentless shit.

    HankLanglin, Oct 16, 2007
  16. On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:35:23 +1000, John Tserkezis
    <> wrote:

    > If you expect hardy equipment at rock bottom prices, you're fooling yourself.

    Then explain the titanium shell of Sony P&S cameras that have even withstood
    being run over by a jeep and still kept working as new (true story). Story and
    photos online in one of dpreview.com's discussion forums.

    You're fooling yourself by thinking that money = quality. Lengthy research into
    which ones are worth buying = quality. Cost isn't an indication of anything
    these days, other than the seller's bank account .... at the expense of fools
    who love nothing better than to parrot outdated sayings that no longer hold any
    truth whatsoever.

    Billy_Bancroft, Oct 16, 2007
  17. Jeanette Guire

    Eeyore Guest

    Jeanette Guire wrote:

    > I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
    > serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

    Because today's revieweres are merely there to provide support for the
    magazine's advertisers.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Oct 16, 2007
  18. Jeanette Guire

    Stoneman Guest

    On Oct 15, 11:45 am, Jeanette Guire <>
    wrote:
    > I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
    > serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.
    >
    > The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch molded as
    > a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera body. The fix
    > has been described in various ways by various users in other threads. The
    > fix isn't the point of this thread.
    >
    > DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/
    >
    > DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix3100-review/
    >
    > STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3100.html
    >
    > The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could the
    > reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have totally missed
    > the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a brick due to the obvious
    > poor engineering that wasn't visible to the consumer but which should have
    > been wholly obvious to the "professional" camera reviewer?
    >
    > Is it that the reviewers are:
    > - Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
    > - Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
    > - Clueless?
    > - ??? or ???

    It's nothing a little Red Green Duct Tape can't fix.

    I mean, it could be worse..

    Stoneman

    Stoneman, Oct 16, 2007
  19. Re: Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a seriousflaw in the camera?

    Billy_Bancroft wrote:

    >> If you expect hardy equipment at rock bottom prices, you're fooling yourself.

    > Then explain the titanium shell of Sony P&S cameras that have even withstood
    > being run over by a jeep and still kept working as new (true story). Story and
    > photos online in one of dpreview.com's discussion forums.

    I can't explain it. Because I can't find any evidence of a Sony P&S with a
    titanium casing. I've had a look on the sony site, and dpreview.com, but
    there's too many cameras for the time that I can afford to look through
    (looked at the first dozen or so, no find on "titanium").
    What models where you talking about?

    > You're fooling yourself by thinking that money = quality.

    I didn't imply that. I said "Price is a good indicator", not price is the
    ONLY indicator.

    > Lengthy research into which ones are worth buying = quality.

    Agreed.

    > Cost isn't an indication of anything these days, other than the seller's bank
    > account .... at the expense of fools who love nothing better than to parrot
    > outdated sayings that no longer hold any truth whatsoever.

    It doesn't mean a thing. You do your homework and if you find that Product
    A offers similar quality and features to Product B, but Product A is cheaper,
    then you buy Product A. Duh.
    Just because Product B is outlandishly expensive doesn't mean it's because
    of any of the reasons you outlined, there are hundreds more reasons why. And
    the bulk of those reasons have nothing to do with how far the manufacturer has
    their finger up their backsides.

    John Tserkezis, Oct 16, 2007
  20. Jeanette Guire

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jeanette Guire wrote:
    > I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed a very
    > serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.
    >
    > The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch molded as
    > a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix camera body. The fix
    > has been described in various ways by various users in other threads. The
    > fix isn't the point of this thread.
    >
    > DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/
    >
    > DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix3100-review/
    >
    > STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3100.html
    >
    > The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could the
    > reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have totally missed
    > the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a brick due to the obvious
    > poor engineering that wasn't visible to the consumer but which should have
    > been wholly obvious to the "professional" camera reviewer?
    >
    > Is it that the reviewers are:
    > - Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
    > - Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
    > - Clueless?

    Most likely all three, but also because they just don't use the cameras
    long enough to notice such potential weak points.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 16, 2007