    So:

    Short of utter bloody mindedness on the part of MS, is there any good
    reason why a direct upgrade from xp - 7 won't be possible?
    Caulfield_man, May 9, 2009

  2. Caulfield_man

    Mike Easter Guest

    Caulfield_man wrote:

    > 3. Logic dictates that the most desired upgrade path is XP -> 7.
    > Microshaft will only enable upgrades from Vista to 7.

    > Short of utter bloody mindedness on the part of MS, is there any good
    > reason why a direct upgrade from xp - 7 won't be possible?

    It's about the money, honey.

    It's also designed to help MS's OEM partners. They don't want users to
    delay buying a computer in anticipation of Win7.

    Where 'It' in this context is the overall Win 7 upgrade program.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 9, 2009

  3. Caulfield_man wrote:

    > Facts:
    >
    > 1. XP sp3 is, apart from viruses, a stable and satisfactory way to run a
    > PC.
    >
    > 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it, using
    > downgrade rights to stay with xp.

    Vista can be stripped a bit, corporations would surely do that. However, it
    is the last 32bit OS - afterwards (necessity to buy new hardware anyway)
    everything will go to 64bit. A direct upgrade from 32 to 64bit is not
    possible.
    Btw., my linux box runs 64bit just fine and it rocks :)

    > Short of utter bloody mindedness on the part of MS, is there any good
    > reason why a direct upgrade from xp - 7 won't be possible?

    A clean setup is preferrable any time.
    I suppose you can use the "transfer files and settings" wizardry on XP
    (there is a corporate commandline version as well) to save user settings,
    and later import into win7. Regardless if 32 or 64bit.
    wisdomkiller & pain, May 9, 2009
  4. Caulfield_man

    XS11E Guest

    Caulfield_man <> wrote:

    > Facts:

    > 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it,
    > using downgrade rights to stay with xp.

    This is totally incorrect.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org
    XS11E, May 9, 2009
  5. Caulfield_man

    rjdriver Guest

    "Caulfield_man" <> wrote in message

    > Facts:
    >
    > 1. XP sp3 is, apart from viruses, a stable and satisfactory way to run a
    > PC.
    >
    > 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it, using
    > downgrade rights to stay with xp.
    >
    > 3. Logic dictates that the most desired upgrade path is XP -> 7.
    > Microshaft will only enable upgrades from Vista to 7.
    >
    > So:
    >
    > Short of utter bloody mindedness on the part of MS, is there any good
    > reason why a direct upgrade from xp - 7 won't be possible?

    The simple answer is, Don't bother. If XP is still working fine for you, as
    it is for most people and businesses, skip Windows 7, and stay with XP
    until you are forced to go 64 bit. You're not getting a charitble tax
    deduction for your contribution to the Gates Foundation.

    Bob
    rjdriver, May 9, 2009
  6. Caulfield_man

    walter Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    > Caulfield_man <> wrote:
    >
    >> Facts:

    >> 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it,
    >> using downgrade rights to stay with xp.

    > This is totally incorrect.

    Not totally. :)

    The only instance of Vista there was around here just got wiped out the
    other day. Came on a restore disk along with a Gateway Laptop I was given
    due to a failed HD.

    [I should note at this point that the original owner connected to the
    Internet via dial-up, so I have no way of knowing if the ethernet connection
    ever worked] Any-who ...

    I replaced the HD with Original Equipment and used the Gateway (Vista) disk
    that came with the machine to get everything back to factory specs.

    All was well and good except for the fact that the machine would not connect
    (hardwired through my router) to the Internet even though it could see both
    other (XP) machines on the LAN, and they could both see the Vista machine.

    Wirelessly, it would connect to the Internet no problem.

    Long story short, after much mucking about and having Gateway blame MS, and
    MS blame Gateway, I set it aside and forgot about it.

    The other day I downloaded and burnt the Windows 7 iso that Microsoft
    recently made available just to have it around. That's when I rememebered
    about the laptop and decided to dig it out and use it as a guinea pig.

    Stuck the "7" disk in, formatted Vista the hell on outta there and installed
    "7" without a hitch.

    Guess what? The machine now connects to the Internet both hard wired
    through my router and wirelessly.

    The *ONLY* thing that changed, was the OS.

    Draw your own conclusion as to whether or not Vista is garbage. :)
    walter, May 9, 2009
  7. Caulfield_man

    chuckcar Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain <> wrote in

    > Caulfield_man wrote:
    >

    >> Facts:
    >>
    >> 1. XP sp3 is, apart from viruses, a stable and satisfactory way to run
    >> a PC.
    >>
    >> 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it, using
    >> downgrade rights to stay with xp.
    >>

    > Vista can be stripped a bit, corporations would surely do that. However,
    > it is the last 32bit OS - afterwards (necessity to buy new hardware
    > anyway) everything will go to 64bit. A direct upgrade from 32 to 64bit
    > is not possible.
    > Btw., my linux box runs 64bit just fine and it rocks :)

    And has been doing so since the late 90's.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 9, 2009
  8. Caulfield_man

    Top Guest

    In article <gu4m7c$p4k$>, lid says...

    > XS11E wrote:
    >
    > > Caulfield_man <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Facts:

    > >> 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it,
    > >> using downgrade rights to stay with xp.

    > > This is totally incorrect.

    > Not totally. :)
    >
    > The only instance of Vista there was around here just got wiped out the
    > other day. Came on a restore disk along with a Gateway Laptop I was given
    > due to a failed HD.
    >
    > [I should note at this point that the original owner connected to the
    > Internet via dial-up, so I have no way of knowing if the ethernet connection
    > ever worked] Any-who ...
    >
    > I replaced the HD with Original Equipment and used the Gateway (Vista) disk
    > that came with the machine to get everything back to factory specs.
    >
    > All was well and good except for the fact that the machine would not connect
    > (hardwired through my router) to the Internet even though it could see both
    > other (XP) machines on the LAN, and they could both see the Vista machine.
    >
    > Wirelessly, it would connect to the Internet no problem.
    >
    > Long story short, after much mucking about and having Gateway blame MS, and
    > MS blame Gateway, I set it aside and forgot about it.
    >
    > The other day I downloaded and burnt the Windows 7 iso that Microsoft
    > recently made available just to have it around. That's when I rememebered
    > about the laptop and decided to dig it out and use it as a guinea pig.
    >
    > Stuck the "7" disk in, formatted Vista the hell on outta there and installed
    > "7" without a hitch.
    >
    > Guess what? The machine now connects to the Internet both hard wired
    > through my router and wirelessly.
    >
    > The *ONLY* thing that changed, was the OS.
    >
    > Draw your own conclusion as to whether or not Vista is garbage. :)

    Well you restored to the way it came from Gateway with Vista. You
    installed Win 7 the way it came from Microsoft. I'm not a big
    mickeysoft fan but that says as much about Gateway packaging Vista as
    it says about Vista.

    Top
    Top, May 10, 2009
  9. Caulfield_man

    chuckcar Guest

    "rjdriver" <> wrote in

    > "Caulfield_man" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Facts:
    >>
    >> 1. XP sp3 is, apart from viruses, a stable and satisfactory way to run
    >> a PC.
    >>
    >> 2. Vista is/was bloated garbage and most corporates ignored it, using
    >> downgrade rights to stay with xp.
    >>
    >> 3. Logic dictates that the most desired upgrade path is XP -> 7.
    >> Microshaft will only enable upgrades from Vista to 7.
    >>
    >> So:
    >>
    >> Short of utter bloody mindedness on the part of MS, is there any good
    >> reason why a direct upgrade from xp - 7 won't be possible?
    >>

    > The simple answer is, Don't bother. If XP is still working fine for
    > you, as it is for most people and businesses, skip Windows 7, and stay
    > with XP until you are forced to go 64 bit. You're not getting a
    > charitble tax deduction for your contribution to the Gates Foundation.

    Of which that money wouldn't go to anyways, otherwise he *would*.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 10, 2009
  10. Caulfield_man

    XS11E Guest

    "walter" <> wrote:

    > Draw your own conclusion as to whether or not Vista is garbage.
    > :)

    The obvious conclusion is you have no idea what you're doing.

    XS11E, May 10, 2009