    ctrl-alt-del doesn't do a thing. Only thing left is the good old reset
    button. No errors to report because of the total freeze up.

    I got only the bare essentials running. I.e. viruskiller and webshots.
    The running processes are as few as possible. So no LoadQM etc.

    I have my suspicions about the GFX card wich is an on board SIS6326.
    Tried to update the drivers but that still didn't help. Also turned
    off the hardware accelleration. Didn't do a thing.
    --
    Alpha, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Alpha

    alexandrew Guest

    Check your heatsink and fan, if it is working OK, than I guess it is your
    power supply.

    alexandrew, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    "alexandrew" <> wrote:

    >Check your heatsink and fan, if it is working OK, than I guess it is your
    >power supply.

    Thanks for your answer.

    The computer will freeze sometimes as soon as it got turned on and
    booted Win. The fans are all in working order.

    The powersupply. Are you thinking of a fluctuating current? I might
    see if I can check that somehow.

    As a last resort I'll clean out this box of chips and clean every
    contact inside it. It wouldn't suprise me that some connections are
    oxidized.
    Alpha, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Alpha

    alexandrew Guest

    I had this problem with one of my system and I did everything I could to fix
    it with no results, the only thing was not checked, was power supply which
    was the problem. So try another power supply and see the results, if nothing
    happens while in windows, than you have solved the problem.
    You should be very careful if you want to open the power supply, even when
    is off, there is a chance of getting shock.

    alexandrew, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Alpha

    DH Guest

    Viruskiller and webshots aren't "bare essentials". Use msconfig and whatever
    else is necessary to stop EVERYTHING from starting up at startup. Then go
    about your normal activity and see how your computer behaves. If it still
    misbehaves, re-install Windows. I suggest you NOT install Windows through
    Windows. Instead, make a "boot disk" that'll load your CD driver and give
    you access to your CD from the DOS prompt. Start your system with your boot
    disk, switch to your CD drive and run the setup program. You get a better
    installation this way.

    After you've re-installed, go about your normal computer activity and see
    how it behaves. If it seems to be normal, then go to msconfig and turn the
    programs back on that you want starting up everytime you start your
    computer. You can add these back one at a time to see exactly which one is
    causing the problem, if you want.

    DH, Nov 16, 2003