why coolpix and not G5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by H. S., Apr 12, 2004.

  1. H. S.

    H. S. Guest

    Hi,

    I have read at many places (Google groups gives many hits) that there is
    a problem of focusing in low light situations in Coolpix cameras by
    Nikon. Canon G3 and G5 cameras do not have this problem because they
    have AF assist lamp. I have also been reported this problem from a
    friend who actually has Coolpix 4300 and says it is quite distressing to
    see the camera give out of focus shots in low lights (indoors during
    dusk/evening eg).

    I just wanted to know why would one buy a Coolpix camera when so many
    people have reported this apparently serious problem? What advantages,
    for example, would Coolpix 5000 or 5200 have over Canon G5? Although
    Nikons have the Bulb setting, reportedly lower noise (but how
    significant is the noise in G5 for that matter?), perhaps shorter macro
    min focusing distance, what use are all these features if it fails to
    focus on a groups of kids in a party??

    So, in low light situations, doesn't Coolpix just fail? And the slight
    reported purple fringing in G5 seems to be a reasonable trade off!?

    Comments please,
    thanks,
    ->HS

    --
    (Please remove all underscores from my email address to get the correct
    one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)
    H. S., Apr 12, 2004

  2. Malcolm Stewart, Apr 12, 2004

  3. H. S.

    [BnH] Guest

    Coz not many ppl shot in low light
    and in true low light condition ie concert , or other events that disallow
    flash photography
    you can't shoot using AF assist lamp turned on.
    even if you can, sometimes the objects are too far for the AF assist lamp to
    illuminate.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Apr 12, 2004
  4. Coolpix 5000 - excellent wide-angle (especially with the add-on lens)

    Coolpix 5700 - excellent telephoto - a highly optimised camera
    (yes, you may need care to select an auto-focus point in the darker
    conditions....)

    Coolpix 5400 - current model, but not such a wide angle as the 5000.

    Macro is superb on both, even more so on the earlier swivel-bodied 4500.

    I'm sure the G5 is probably good as well in its specific areas - I would
    try to handle the cameras and see which best suits your picture taking
    needs.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 12, 2004
  5. H. S.

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in
    > Coolpix 5400 - current model, but not such a wide angle as the 5000.

    Both are the same 28 mm at the wide end.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>
    Matti Vuori, Apr 12, 2004
  6. "Matti Vuori" <> wrote in message
    > "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in
    > > Coolpix 5400 - current model, but not such a wide angle as the 5000.

    > Both are the same 28 mm at the wide end.
    >
    > --

    To clarify - the add-on lenses differ:

    Coolpix 5000 - 19mm with WC-E68 convertor

    Coolpix 5400 - 23mm with WC-E80 convertor

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 12, 2004
  7. H. S.

    H. S. Guest

    Apparently, _[BnH]_, on 04/11/04 20:45,typed:
    > Coz not many ppl shot in low light

    The friend I mentioned who has Coolpix 4300, he has touble getting it
    focused even in relatively bright indoor illumination (incandescent
    lamp, approx 150 Watts, white walls). In this situation, I am sure the
    AF assisst lamp would be useful.

    BTW, the G5 (2.0) has faster lense than the one on Nikon 5200 (and 5400?).

    Given that BSS is unique to Nikon, still it is not a fundamental factor
    as are focusing and optics. The macro capabilities: true, that is a plus
    that Coolpix models have. Moreover, they start from a wider angle(28mm
    IIRC) than the G5 or G3 (35mm IIRC).

    I think if Coolpix models started to come with an AF assisst lamp, they
    will be a sure winner. But I am confounded as to why does Nikon not put
    an AF assisst lamp in those models??

    regards,
    ->HS

    H. S., Apr 12, 2004
  8. "H. S." <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have read at many places (Google groups gives many hits) that there is
    > a problem of focusing in low light situations in Coolpix cameras by
    > Nikon. Canon G3 and G5 cameras do not have this problem because they
    > have AF assist lamp. I have also been reported this problem from a
    > friend who actually has Coolpix 4300 and says it is quite distressing to
    > see the camera give out of focus shots in low lights (indoors during
    > dusk/evening eg).

    The macro capability is a big deal to many people. I know that there are
    times that I wish my G2 had better macro capability. Still, you are correct
    in that in the vast majority of cases, a G5 is the better choice. Probably
    why Nikon is doing poorly now, after having such a great run with the
    CoolPix 900 series. Nikon isn't alone with being late to market with an AF
    assist lamp. The market is young, and Nikon will likely correct the flaws in
    the Coolpix series in the next generation. Canon seems to have a better
    track record in not screwing up from one generation to the next.
    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 13, 2004