Why cant Windows XP remember my network settings?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Zknb, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    I can not figure out why this is happening.

    I have a LAN with a Lynksys router hooked up to a cable modem.

    MY two computers are set to use DHCP and the DHCP server is enabled in
    the router.

    PC "A" can be rebooted and it gets its address and settings from the
    router just fine.

    PC "B" after a reboot will not get its address or any of the other
    settings from the router.

    When I click on Repair Connection I get this error:

    The following steps of the repair operation failed:
    Renewing the IP address
    Purging the DNS Resolver Cache
    Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-regestering DNS names.

    Now if I run through the Network Setup Wizard and select all the
    defaults everything works fine.

    But if I reboot all the settings are lost and can not be retrieved
    UNLESS I run the Network Setup Wizard again.

    Shouldn't Windows be writing the settings down, or at least the fact
    that it is suppose to get the settings from the DHCP server someplace
    so I don't have to run the Network Setup Wizard every time I reboot?

    System:
    Celeron 1.2Ghz
    Abit VH-6 motherboard
    512MB RAM
    40G Hdd
    Lynksys 10/100 NIC
    SB-Live
    ASUS GF3 Ti-200
    Windows XP-Pro with all the latest updates
    Zknb, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Zknb

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Update your routers firmware.

    "Zknb" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    pcbutts1, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Zknb

    ralph Guest

    On 12/25/03 2:16 PM, Zknb wrote:

    > I can not figure out why this is happening.
    >
    > I have a LAN with a Lynksys router hooked up to a cable modem.
    >
    > MY two computers are set to use DHCP and the DHCP server is enabled in
    > the router.
    >
    > PC "A" can be rebooted and it gets its address and settings from the
    > router just fine.
    >
    > PC "B" after a reboot will not get its address or any of the other
    > settings from the router.
    >
    > When I click on Repair Connection I get this error:
    >
    > The following steps of the repair operation failed:
    > Renewing the IP address
    > Purging the DNS Resolver Cache
    > Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-regestering DNS names.
    >
    > Now if I run through the Network Setup Wizard and select all the
    > defaults everything works fine.
    >
    > But if I reboot all the settings are lost and can not be retrieved
    > UNLESS I run the Network Setup Wizard again.
    >
    > Shouldn't Windows be writing the settings down, or at least the fact
    > that it is suppose to get the settings from the DHCP server someplace
    > so I don't have to run the Network Setup Wizard every time I reboot?
    >
    > System:
    > Celeron 1.2Ghz
    > Abit VH-6 motherboard
    > 512MB RAM
    > 40G Hdd
    > Lynksys 10/100 NIC
    > SB-Live
    > ASUS GF3 Ti-200
    > Windows XP-Pro with all the latest updates

    After you run the setup wizard check to see if there is an option to
    save as defaults.
    ralph, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    The router has more current firmware than is available on the Linksys
    website.

    Zknb, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:35:19 GMT, ralph <> wrote:

    >> Shouldn't Windows be writing the settings down, or at least the fact
    >> that it is suppose to get the settings from the DHCP server someplace
    >> so I don't have to run the Network Setup Wizard every time I reboot?
    >>

    >After you run the setup wizard check to see if there is an option to
    >save as defaults.

    Nope no such option.
    Zknb, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Zknb

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Often the problem with a faulty network connection is due to the TCP/IP
    stack being corrupted or not properly bound. Starting with WinXP Microsoft
    has disabled the ability to uninstall TCP/IP. So what you have to do is
    rebuild the stack to the condition that it was in on a clean install using
    the NetShell utility.

    Go to your command prompt and type the following:

    netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

    A log file name must be specified in order to successfully execute the netsh
    command. This file will log all the actions taken by netsh. For example use
    this command netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

    "Zknb" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    pcbutts1, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    That did a lot of things but it still can not remember my network
    settings.

    I still have to run the Network Setup Wizard everytime I reboot.

    Zknb, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Zknb

    pcbutts1 Guest

    If you check in the routers setup page look at the DHCP clients table to see
    if the router is even giving the pc an IP address, you can do this from the
    other working pc. If it shows that it is giving it an IP address and that it
    is not expired then I would replace the nic in your computer. If it shows
    that it is not getting an IP then check the router and re flash it. If your
    router firmware is up to date then on the clients table page you will see
    the Mac address of all detected nic cards and if an IP is assigned.

    "Zknb" <> wrote in
    message news:eek:...

    pcbutts1, Dec 26, 2003
  9. Zknb

    Zknb Guest

    I did manage to figure this out by digging through some old posts in
    am MS.WinXP newsgroup..

    Apperently the same thing can happen when installing WinXP-SP1 patch.

    But I think it was uninstalling Mcafee firewall that did it. (Boy what
    a P.O.S. program that was)

    What happend was all my network services were set to manual start
    including the DHCP client, DNS client, and Network connections.

    Thats why it would work after running the NetworkSetup Wizard and not
    work after reboot.

    Setting these back to Automatic fixed everything.

    Zknb, Dec 29, 2003