    Peter M Guest

    They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
    or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
    Peter M, Jan 24, 2009

  2. Peter  M

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:43:55 +1300, Peter M wrote:

    > They closed down Napster buy why not the others, or is it that can make
    > more money by suing people..?

    Because Napster was indeed a site.

    Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.

    It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

    --
    Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
    company that flogs third rate technology products."
    Carnations, Jan 24, 2009

  3. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:43:55 +1300, Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> They closed down Napster buy why not the others, or is it that can make
    >> more money by suing people..?

    > Because Napster was indeed a site.
    >
    > Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
    >
    > It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

    Not quite
    oneofus, Jan 25, 2009
  4. Peter  M

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:32:14 +1300, oneofus wrote:

    >> Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
    >>
    >> It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

    > Not quite.

    Would you care to elaborate further on that?

    Carnations, Jan 25, 2009
  5. On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:32:14 +1300, oneofus wrote:
    >
    >>> Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
    >>>
    >>> It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

    >> Not quite.

    You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
    BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
    central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
    have enough bandwidth.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 25, 2009
  6. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:07:12 +1300, Bobs <> wrote:

    >Peter M wrote:
    >>
    >> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
    >> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
    >>

    >You do realise what Peer to Peer means, Peter?
    >
    >As for places like The Pirate Bay etc, they are hosted outside the US
    >and therefore the major American agencies have no authority to
    >prosecute. I believe they even post all the threatening legal letters
    >from the FBI, RIAA etc on their website and gloat about it.

    What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza, E-Donkey
    ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember the
    names off..
    Peter M, Jan 25, 2009
  7. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-24, Peter M <> wrote:

    > They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
    > or is it that can make more money by suing people..?

    Troll or ignorant?

    P2P is a method of file transfer. It like all technology, is netural. How it
    is used is the question.

    Napster, was the grandfather/mother of P2P. Napster needs to be considered
    as part of modern history.

    I use P2P to transfer a great deal of copyrighted material. Open Source
    Software, Creative Commons, legal torrents.

    This posting, being my own work is copyrighted, as is all postings on
    Usenet.
    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  8. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-25, Bobs <> wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >>
    >> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
    >> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
    >>

    > You do realise what Peer to Peer means, Peter?
    >
    > As for places like The Pirate Bay etc, they are hosted outside the US
    > and therefore the major American agencies have no authority to
    > prosecute. I believe they even post all the threatening legal letters
    > from the FBI, RIAA etc on their website and gloat about it.

    And one asks, are not you pissed off that you can be them Bobs?

    Yes, Pirate Bay did have an attack upon their site, fought it off within
    24 hours and carried.

    Blessed in the radical, for without her there would be no progress. To quote
    someone.
    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  9. In message <>, Peter M wrote:

    > What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza,
    > E-Donkey
    > ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember the
    > names off..

    What about them?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009
  10. Peter  M

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Not quite.

    > You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
    > BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
    > central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
    > have enough bandwidth.

    DHT solved that, magnet links mean no need for a place that stores the
    actual torrent files either.
    Richard, Jan 25, 2009
  11. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-25, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    ><> wrote:

    >>> Not quite.

    > You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
    > BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
    > central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
    > have enough bandwidth.

    The tracker needs SFA bandwidth. All it doing is telling one who has what
    you need and vica verca. The tracker shifts none of the file as such.
    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  12. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-25, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza,
    >> E-Donkey
    >> ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember the
    >> names off..

    > What about them?

    Hey! Lawerence, been asleep? ;-)

    The point is that these are also illegaly download sites maybe yes
    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  13. Peter  M

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-01-24, Peter M <> wrote:
    >>
    >> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
    >> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
    >>

    > Troll or ignorant?

    Roger Sheppard. 'nuff said.
    EMB, Jan 25, 2009
  14. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-01-25, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, Peter M wrote:
    >>
    >>> What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza,
    >>> E-Donkey
    >>> ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember
    >>> the names off..

    >> What about them?

    > Hey! Lawerence, been asleep? ;-)
    >
    > The point is that these are also illegaly download sites maybe yes

    And?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009
  15. Peter  M

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 05:31:02 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
    > BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
    > central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and have
    > enough bandwidth.

    Azureus uses the Bit Torrent protocol, and does not need a centralised
    tracker. It uses a distributed hash table.

    All you need at the beginning is a web page with a clickable link and
    your copy of Azureus can take care of all the rest.

    Carnations, Jan 25, 2009
  16. On 25 Jan 2009 08:27:26 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-25, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    >><> wrote:

    >> You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
    >> BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
    >> central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
    >> have enough bandwidth.

    >The tracker needs SFA bandwidth. All it doing is telling one who has what
    >you need and vica verca. The tracker shifts none of the file as such.

    It depends on how many clients are using the tracker. Azureus often
    tells me that I am part of a cloud of more than a million users. It
    adds up.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 25, 2009
  17. Peter  M

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:36:02 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > It depends on how many clients are using the tracker. Azureus often
    > tells me that I am part of a cloud of more than a million users. It
    > adds up.

    But surely those million users aren't all using the same tracker.

    Carnations, Jan 25, 2009
  18. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    oneofus, Jan 25, 2009
  19. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > P2P doesn't imply any laws a being broken. I have legally downloaded many
    > files from P2P sites.

    Doesn't prevent ISPs from being pressured into clamping down on it, though.

    Another issue is that P2P can easily become a major bandwidth hog.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009
  20. On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:36:02 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> It depends on how many clients are using the tracker. Azureus often
    >> tells me that I am part of a cloud of more than a million users. It
    >> adds up.

    >But surely those million users aren't all using the same tracker.

    Yes, as far as I can tell.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 26, 2009