why can't I use rechargeable batteries?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nate Nagel, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    Hi all,

    got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
    good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
    Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
    before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
    work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
    several hours. I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to
    get a set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first
    bought it but they were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
    the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
    do about it.

    Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
    digital camera I've had.

    I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera
    a lot for work.

    nate

    --
    replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    Nate Nagel, Oct 27, 2007

  2. Nate wrote on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400:

    NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
    NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I
    NN> seem to only be able to get good performance with
    NN> non-rechargeable batteries (currently using Energizer E2
    NN> lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    NN> my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or
    NN> two pics before I get a "low battery" warning and the
    NN> camera shuts down. They work fine in a flashlight however
    NN> - will keep a mini mag lite going for several hours. I
    NN> suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to get a
    NN> set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I
    NN> first bought it but they were unavailable even direct from
    NN> Nikon. I suspect the "problem" is the lower voltage of the
    NN> NiMHs but don't know what to do about it.

    NN> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be
    NN> ecologically correct but rechargeable batteries just don't
    NN> seem to work in any digital camera I've had.

    Should your camera be adjusted for battery type? My small Nikon
    certainly must be (on the setup screens) and the voltages that
    the two types of battery deliver *are* significantly different.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
    James Silverton, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    James Silverton wrote:
    > Nate wrote on Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400:
    >
    > NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
    > NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I
    > NN> seem to only be able to get good performance with
    > NN> non-rechargeable batteries (currently using Energizer E2
    > NN> lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    > NN> my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or
    > NN> two pics before I get a "low battery" warning and the
    > NN> camera shuts down. They work fine in a flashlight however
    > NN> - will keep a mini mag lite going for several hours. I
    > NN> suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to get a
    > NN> set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I
    > NN> first bought it but they were unavailable even direct from
    > NN> Nikon. I suspect the "problem" is the lower voltage of the
    > NN> NiMHs but don't know what to do about it.
    >
    > NN> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be
    > NN> ecologically correct but rechargeable batteries just don't
    > NN> seem to work in any digital camera I've had.
    >
    > Should your camera be adjusted for battery type? My small Nikon
    > certainly must be (on the setup screens) and the voltages that the two
    > types of battery deliver *are* significantly different.
    >

    > James Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland

    Good point, I believe at least the L6 does have that setting although
    that didn't seem to make a difference.

    I just rechecked the Nikon web site and their own brand of batteries is
    available again (I assume they private label them from someone else, but
    still...) so I ordered four. Charger is not available from Nikon so I
    will have to try them in my existing Energizer branded charger.

    nate

    Nate Nagel, Oct 27, 2007
  4. On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel <>
    wrote:

    >Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    >correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
    >digital camera I've had.

    I had the same problem with a Nikon. They are very sensitive to a
    slight drop in voltage. After exchanging possible problems & solutions
    in this news group I gave up on rechargeable batteries. I now use
    cheap alkaline batteries. They last for about 40 shots. Lithium
    batteries last for about 50 shots but they are three times the price.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd
    http://www.easynn.com
    Steve Wolstenholme, Oct 27, 2007
  5. Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel <>
    > wrote:

    NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
    NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I

    > I now use
    > cheap alkaline batteries. They last for about 40 shots. Lithium
    > batteries last for about 50 shots but they are three times the price.

    40-50 shots? You must be kidding!

    Not to re-kindle the dSLR versus P&S flame war, but the Li-ion batterie in
    my D80 lasts _serveral_hundred_ shots in real life scenarions, meaning
    including zooming, focussing, and VR of the heavy lenses and a little bit of
    flash.
    I don't even bother to take the charger on short weekend trips any longer.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Oct 27, 2007
  6. On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:04:57 GMT, "Jürgen Exner"
    <> wrote:

    >Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel <>
    >> wrote:

    > NN> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I
    > NN> had this same problem with my previous two digicams. I
    >
    >> I now use
    >> cheap alkaline batteries. They last for about 40 shots. Lithium
    >> batteries last for about 50 shots but they are three times the price.

    >40-50 shots? You must be kidding!

    No, it's about par for the course with the Coolpix 2100. No doubt more
    modern cameras are considerably better.

    Steve Wolstenholme, Oct 27, 2007
  7. Nate Nagel

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:33:45 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    > problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
    > good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
    > Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    > my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
    > before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
    > work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
    > several hours. I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to
    > get a set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first
    > bought it but they were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
    > the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
    > do about it.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    > correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
    > digital camera I've had.
    >
    > I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera
    > a lot for work.
    >
    > nate

    Same problem on my wife's Coolpix 2100.
    ray, Oct 27, 2007
  8. ? "Nate Nagel" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Hi all,
    >
    > got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    > problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
    > good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
    > Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    > my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
    > before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
    > work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
    > several hours.

    That's very strange.Are you sure the NimH have received a full charge?I have
    a mini mag lite (20 euros here) for more than 6 months in my tool case, with
    the same set of sanyo 2000 mAh NimH and still it's going.While my still
    camera runs on proprietary Li ion batteries (3.7 V 820 mAh)and with one
    charge I had it going for more than 6 months.I also run a little transistor
    radio for more than 4 months, with the same set of (chinese-MInWAor
    something)Nimhs.(My camera is a P&S,nytech, www.nytech.de I'm not interested
    in flame wars-it's very good for me)(For those of you not speaking german,
    the nytech has an aluminium body, a pentax lens and a sony sensor.It's 7
    megapixel.I know, it has small pixel size, but I always shoot at ISO 50
    w/flash (or without).Long gone are the days when I shoot Tmax 3200 with my
    Nikon FM-2 and the Nikkor 50/1.4...Now I'm older and I want convenience and
    speed.Of course a dSLR is better, but how to define better?A mercedes is
    better than a FIAT, but not everybody can afford a mercedes, and not
    everybody *will* buy one, especially if all he wants is one car to go to
    work with all his tools (like me);I'd buy a FIAT Punto Van.I like my
    P&S;it's fast and takes excellent pictures, the difference is clear even on
    5X4", compared to my previous one....On 8X10" it's very good, still, lots of
    detail and no artifacts.
    see here...
    www.esnips.com/web/dimtzortzsPhotos

    > I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to What is "Low

    voltage"?You mean lower voltage than an alkaline?A brand new aerocell
    alkaline shows 1.40 volts on my multimeter, an (almost full)MINWA chinese
    1500 mAh NimH is just 1,10, while the 3,7 volt li ion for my camera is
    3,60.ALL devices that take AA cells can work with NimH;the voltage
    fluctuation does not matter for maglites and transistor radios, while the
    cameras are *supposed* to be operating on Nimh anyway, nobody expects you to
    put a new set of alkalines every week...That was true when only nicd were
    available, and P&S were still film, but now nobody is supposed to use
    alkalines, right?(Even the mains voltage is fluctuating 5%, now 5 past
    eleven (evening)it's precisely 225 volts (nominal 230) on the computer
    receptacle.The transmission voltage<the high voltage large poles you see in
    country>can fluctuate 10%, but your utility uses transformers with automatic
    voltage regulation,AVR, with a tap changer.Primary eg (in EU) say 150 kV,
    secondary 15 kV.So, that's a 1:10 transformer.)

    unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
    > the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
    > do about it.

    No idea, too.I don't know how they engineer cameras, but they surely do take
    in account that you might use rechargeable batteries, don't they? Nimhs are
    around since digital cameras have become popular, and they probably evolved
    together.
    > Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    > correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
    > digital camera I've had.

    I know, me too:)In *any*?Even my crappy Kodak CX 7300 run for a couple of
    dozens shots on Sanyo nicds (NB.:my current camera is made in China, but is
    of excellent overall quality, and very well built, too.A small jewel.OTOH.
    the Kodak was made in China too, but it's quality was someting like those
    Nikons that the tab that hold the battery chamber broke off, remember?A
    piece of junk.Shame on you, Nikon and Kodak!I was very pleased in the 20th
    century with all Kodak films and chemicals, excellent quality all of
    them.Also my Nikon FM-2 and its Nikkor glass were of utmost quality.But of
    course, the chinese factories if they have good blueprints and good
    materials provided, they will make excellent products, if they have crappy
    blueprints and crappy plastics to boot they will produce junk
    cameras.Notice, that 95% of my computer parts are made in China, including
    the 17" miro CRT.Everything is working fine after 3 1/2 years, and 4-5 hours
    operating every day, knock on wood.I read in wikipedia about capacitor
    plague, and I thoroughly checked every mobo (QDI;chinese) but none seems to
    fail.OTOH, these turkish made washing machines, that all immigrants buy,
    have their motor running capacitors fail after a couple of years.On a
    washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy remedy.On
    a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish made
    washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220 euros.Unlike
    turkish made CRT TVs.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 27, 2007
  9. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> [...]

    > course, the chinese factories if they have good blueprints and good
    > materials provided, they will make excellent products, if they have crappy
    > blueprints and crappy plastics to boot they will produce junk
    > cameras.Notice, that 95% of my computer parts are made in China, including
    > the 17" miro CRT.Everything is working fine after 3 1/2 years, and 4-5 hours
    > operating every day, knock on wood.I read in wikipedia about capacitor
    > plague, and I thoroughly checked every mobo (QDI;chinese) but none seems to
    > fail.OTOH, these turkish made washing machines, that all immigrants buy,
    > have their motor running capacitors fail after a couple of years.On a
    > washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy remedy.On
    > a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish made
    > washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220 euros.Unlike

    I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
    of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
    still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.

    nate

    Nate Nagel, Oct 28, 2007
  10. Nate Nagel

    Guest

    Your problem may be from something other than you think.

    The problem may be caused by dirty contacts either on the
    batteries or the camera, or both.

    It could also be caused by not using the NIMH batteries in a timely
    manner because standard NIMH batteries self discharge and may be
    under voltage after sitting just a month or two.

    Try cleaning the contacts and purchase a set of Eneloop low self
    discharge batteries.
    , Oct 28, 2007
  11. Nate Nagel

    Guest

    >I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
    >of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
    >still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.
    >
    >nate

    Specifically what is nearly fully charged ?
    , Oct 28, 2007
  12. Nate Nagel

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Nate Nagel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    > problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
    > good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
    > Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    > my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
    > before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
    > work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
    > several hours. I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to
    > get a set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first
    > bought it but they were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
    > the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
    > do about it.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    > correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
    > digital camera I've had.
    >
    > I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera
    > a lot for work.
    >
    > nate

    My first suggestion would be to take your camera to a Nikon service
    center and have it checked out. It looks like the setting for the low
    battery indicator is at too high a voltage.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 28, 2007
  13. Nate Nagel

    Steve B Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Nate Nagel wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    >> problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
    >> good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
    >> Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use my
    >> Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics before I
    >> get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They work fine in
    >> a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for several hours.
    >> I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to get a set of the
    >> "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first bought it but they
    >> were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect the "problem" is the
    >> lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to do about it.
    >>
    >> Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    >> correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any digital
    >> camera I've had.
    >>
    >> I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera a
    >> lot for work.
    >>
    >> nate
    >>

    > My first suggestion would be to take your camera to a Nikon service center
    > and have it checked out. It looks like the setting for the low battery
    > indicator is at too high a voltage.

    I agree. Also, some NiMh are a slightly lower voltage than others and it
    can be enough to make a big difference in service life if the cut-off
    voltage is set too high. The low self-discharge Eneloops or Hybrios have a
    slightly higher voltage than just about all ordinary NiMh after a little
    usage, and may give good service.
    Steve B, Oct 28, 2007
  14. ? "Nate Nagel" <> ?????? ??? ??????
> [...]

    > > operating every day, knock on wood.I read in wikipedia about capacitor
    > > plague, and I thoroughly checked every mobo (QDI;chinese) but none seems

    > > fail.OTOH, these turkish made washing machines, that all immigrants buy,
    > > have their motor running capacitors fail after a couple of years.On a
    > > washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy

    remedy.On
    > > a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish made
    > > washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220 euros.Unlike
    > > turkish made CRT TVs.
    > >

    > > --

    gr

    > I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
    > of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
    > still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.

    Of course they can still operate your maglite and they show a voltage higher
    than 1 volt in your Fluke, since digital cameras do no drain batteries
    completely, due to security reasons(there would be a point where you would
    lose images because of insufficient power).The problem could lie that your
    Nimhs have reached the end of their life, so they can't supply enough
    current anymore;that's only my speculation, though.Their life cycle is up to
    1000 charging/discharging cycles.

    HTH,

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 28, 2007
  15. Nate Nagel

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:08:25 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

    >> Should your camera be adjusted for battery type? My small Nikon
    >> certainly must be (on the setup screens) and the voltages that the two
    >> types of battery deliver *are* significantly different.

    > Good point, I believe at least the L6 does have that setting although
    > that didn't seem to make a difference.
    >
    > I just rechecked the Nikon web site and their own brand of batteries is
    > available again (I assume they private label them from someone else, but
    > still...) so I ordered four. Charger is not available from Nikon so I
    > will have to try them in my existing Energizer branded charger.

    Of Nikon's several L# cameras, the L6 is the most battery
    efficient, meaning that it should be good for the largest number of
    shots per battery or per charge. If you want to easily check
    whether the camera is defective or not, buy a cheap set of fresh(!)
    alkaline batteries and see how many shots you can take without using
    the camera's flash. For a fair test (which should more closely
    duplicate Nikon's test methods) don't take them too quickly. Take
    maybe 10 or 15 at a time and then give the batteries a rest for 30
    or 60 minutes. Also, don't take them too slowly. One shot every 5
    or 10 minutes, with the LCD display burning up the batteries, might
    be how some people take pictures, but it certainly won't be anything
    like the conditions used by Nikon for rating battery usage. Repeat
    until the batteries are dead or until your finger tires. According
    to the L6 manual (page 120), alkalines should be good for 400 shots,
    540 shots with Nikon's EN-MH1 NiMH batteries and up to 1,000 shots
    using lithium AA batteries. This performance is quite a bit better
    than what Nikon claims for their L5, L10, L11 and L12 cameras.

    Surprisingly, Nikon didn't rate their cameras using the standard
    CIPA test, which requires that 1/2 of the shots use the flash at
    full power, among other things. If they did, the numbers would
    likely be considerably lower, but still much better than what you're
    getting. I assume that you've checked the battery contacts in the
    camera, to make sure that they're not dirty or that there's no signs
    of battery leakage. It's best to do the test using fresh alkalines,
    because that will eliminate the possibility that your rechargeable
    batteries or the charger itself are causing the poor performance,
    and one set of alkalines is about the cheapest way to test the
    camera unless you have other, known good batteries/chargers. That
    the batteries can power a MagLite doesn't tell you very much, even
    with an accurate Fluke meter. How many hours the batteries can
    power the MagLite will tell you more about the condition of the
    rechargeable batteries. MagLite's website has that information for
    alkaline cells, but it may take some digging to locate it. If you
    can't get at least several hundre
    ASAAR, Oct 28, 2007
  16. Nate Nagel

    TrevM Guest

    "Nate Nagel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    > problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get good
    > performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using Energizer E2
    > lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use my Energizer
    > NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics before I get a "low
    > battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They work fine in a
    > flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for several hours. I
    > suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to get a set of the
    > "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first bought it but they
    > were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect the "problem" is the
    > lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to do about it.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    > correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any digital
    > camera I've had.
    >
    > I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera a
    > lot for work.
    >
    > nate

    Hi Nate,
    Since your camera uses only 2 AA cells, the first thing to note is that they
    have to provide double the current compared with a 4-cell camera (other
    things being equal). Also, the total voltage of less than 3 V (fully
    charged) soon drops below 2.4 V when you start using them - a very low
    starting point for any kind of electronics. Two alkaline cells on the other
    hand will maintain a voltage nearer 3 for much longer as they discharge,
    although they will struggle to provide the high current demanded in many
    2-cell setups. So, have you checked the maximum current available from your
    batteries, as well as the voltage? I do this brutally by shorting the cell
    for a second or so (only!) between the terminals of a multimeter with a 10
    or 20 amp range as an ammeter. A good rechargeable will give 5 to 10 amps
    or even more (depending on the resistance of the ammeter and the internal
    resistance of the cell, which is what is actually under test here), and so
    will a fresh alkaline cell. This treatment should not be prolonged or
    repeated often, as the cell will soon overheat and be ruined anyway! But it
    is a crude way of ensuring that both of your cells are OK and reasonably
    matched for current capability, as well as giving the right voltage. You
    will be surprised how often two cells from the same packet are very
    different in their available current outputs, and you may have to test quite
    a few to get two really good ones.

    Certainly with 4 rechargeable cells in my equipment, I have found that there
    is almost always one noticeably weaker than the others in a set as bought,
    and as with only two cells it is the weak one that determines the number of
    shots you get. So battery life between charges in practice is rarely
    anywhere near manufacturers' claims of hundreds of shots, in my experience,
    whether cameras or flash guns are involved. I have usually had to test at
    least 8 cells to get 4 equally good strong ones. Such variability between
    cells is probably much less with non-rechargeables if from the same package,
    so that is another reason why you might get better life from them than you
    might expect.

    If anyone can advise on a make of rechargeables whose quality control is
    good enough to ensure that 4 out of 4 cells in a packet are equally good for
    curreent capability and capacity (say, within 10%), I would like to hear
    from them!

    TrevM
    TrevM, Oct 28, 2007
  17. Nate Nagel

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Oct 27, 9:01 pm, Nate Nagel <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > plague, and I thoroughly checked every mobo (QDI;chinese) but none seems to
    > > fail.OTOH, these turkish made washing machines, that all immigrants buy,
    > > have their motor running capacitors fail after a couple of years.On a
    > > washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy remedy.On
    > > a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish made
    > > washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220 euros.Unlike
    > > turkish made CRT TVs.

    > > --
    > > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > > major in electrical engineering
    > > mechanized infantry reservist
    > > hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    > I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
    > of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
    > still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.

    Does your fluke meter put a load on them? A battery will read near
    full voltage with no load, but dead with a load.
    Larry Bud, Oct 29, 2007
  18. Nate Nagel

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Oct 27, 9:33 am, Nate Nagel <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > got a Nikon L6 that I've had for a year or two, although I had this same
    > problem with my previous two digicams. I seem to only be able to get
    > good performance with non-rechargeable batteries (currently using
    > Energizer E2 lithium which actually seem to have decent life) if I use
    > my Energizer NiMH rechargeables I can *maybe* take one or two pics
    > before I get a "low battery" warning and the camera shuts down. They
    > work fine in a flashlight however - will keep a mini mag lite going for
    > several hours. I suspect it is because of the low voltage. I tried to
    > get a set of the "real" Nikon batteries sold for my camera when I first
    > bought it but they were unavailable even direct from Nikon. I suspect
    > the "problem" is the lower voltage of the NiMHs but don't know what to
    > do about it.
    >
    > Is there something I'm missing here? I'd *like* to be ecologically
    > correct but rechargeable batteries just don't seem to work in any
    > digital camera I've had.
    >
    > I'm certainly not a serious photographer but I do need to use my camera
    > a lot for work.

    What the rating on the batteries?
    Larry Bud, Oct 29, 2007
  19. ? "Larry Bud" <> ?????? ??? ??????
> [...]

    > > > washing machine, it's 4 euros and a couple of minutes for an easy

    remedy.On
    > > > a mobo, it cam mean trashing the whole computer.Note, those turkish

    made
    > > > washing machines are of excellent quality and cost like 220

    euros.Unlike
    > > > turkish made CRT TVs.

    > > > --
    > > > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > > > major in electrical engineering
    > > > mechanized infantry reservist
    > > > hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    > > I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
    > > of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
    > > still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.

    > Does your fluke meter put a load on them? A battery will read near
    > full voltage with no load, but dead with a load.

    The load of a modern digital multimeter is negligible, because it drains its
    own 9Vcell to display.Even an analogue multimeter, like the one I used,has a
    very high internal resistance, in the range of Mohms(megaohms);it takes
    power from the circuit to move the needle, though.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 29, 2007
  20. Nate Nagel

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Oct 29, 9:58 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <>
    wrote:
    > ? "Larry Bud" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:...

    > same

    > for

    > charge?I have

    > case, with

    > still

    > one

    > transistor

    > interested

    > german,

    > 7

    > 50

    > with my

    > convenience and

    > is

    > even on

    > lots of

    > chinese

    > the

    > you to

    > were

    > see in

    > automatic

    > kV,

    > do take

    > Nimhs are

    > evolved

    > couple of

    > but is

    > jewel.OTOH.

    > those

    > remember?A

    > 20th

    > quality.But of

    > crappy

    > including

    > hours

    > seems to

    > buy,

    > remedy.On

    > made

    > euros.Unlike

    > > > I guess I wasn't clear about the problem. I can take the batteries out
    > > > of the camera after the camera says the batteries are dead and they
    > > > still have a nearly full charge according to my Fluke and my Mag-Lite.

    > > Does your fluke meter put a load on them? A battery will read near
    > > full voltage with no load, but dead with a load.

    > The load of a modern digital multimeter is negligible, because it drains its
    > own 9Vcell to display.Even an analogue multimeter, like the one I used,has a
    > very high internal resistance, in the range of Mohms(megaohms);it takes
    > power from the circuit to move the needle, though.

    Exactly my point. Unless the fluke meter has a setting designed to
    test batteries by putting a load on them, the voltage reading is
    meaningless.
    Larry Bud, Oct 29, 2007