Why can't I stay connected!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have a home wlan I set up long ago that has worked fine till recently.
    However, recently even though I never lose connection with the other 2 PCs
    on my wireless lan, and the "Wireless Network Connection" continues to show
    a good connection, my internet connection (Outlook Express or IE6) which
    connected fine just a second ago, suddenly can no longer find the internet
    and I get messages like "cannot find server" in the web browser or OE can no
    longer find the host. If I disconnect from the network and re-connect
    again, I regain my internet access till it goes off again - sometimes in a
    minute, sometimes in 5 minutes.

    My home wireless lan consists of 3 PC linked to a router which connects to a
    cable modem. Problem may be isolated to this one troublesome XP laptop.

    I've been fighting this for 3 weeks and it is very annoying. I checked and
    have no viruses (Avast), no spyware (Spybot and Ad-aware). My ipconfig /all
    shows

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : delllaptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet
    Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-76-50-C2-23

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-4B-0A-52
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Can someone help me? Is there a utility that can show me what is wrong so I
    can fix it?

    Jeff
    Jeff, Jan 4, 2006

  2. We have similar problems with both my Dell desktop and a Dell laptop. Various
    of my colleagues have suffered also suffered from the Dell kiss of death when
    a Dell iinks to their wlan. I have abandonned using wlan with the Dell
    desktop for the moment but will start trying with Dell support next week.

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWFuQg==?=, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Frankster Guest

    These intermittent issues you mention are the classic symptom of a
    mis-configured DNS. In this case, from your ipconfig info, it appears that
    this machine is *probably* configured correctly. However, I would check your
    router. Basically, all DNS clients should be configured with *only* your
    local DNS (as this one appears to be) and your DNS server (your router I
    assume) should be configured with your ISP supplied DNS servers.

    The scenario you describe is usually caused by one or more of the clients
    being configured with BOTH internal and external (ISP) DNS servers. The
    clients should have only the local DNS server configured.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    But I am not using the built in Dell adapter (this is an Inspiron 8100 and
    did not have a built in wireless). I am using a Linksys PCcard adapter in
    the laptop's PC card slot.

    But, please let me know what Dell says.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you. That sounds logical. To check the router, do I also do
    ipconfig/all on the desktop that is actually attached to the router by
    cable, not wireless? Or do I go into the router's configuration software?

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Jeff

    Frankster Guest

    What router are you using?

    You'll probably want to look at the DNS entries in your router, whatever
    interface it provides (usually web based).

    Also, don't forget to make sure every client machine is pointing only to
    your local DNS server.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Jeff

    Frankster Guest

    Also, I should say, whether a client is connected via cable or wi-fi is
    really irrelevant to DNS issues. It's the settings that count. Don't forget,
    the machine connected to your router via cable is still only a DNS client
    itself. It should only list your internal DNS server too.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you so much for helping. I think you are right and it is a DNS
    questikon but I did not know where or how to correct.

    As you suggested, I went to the desktop PC connected by cable to the SMC
    router and opened its web based interface (http://192.168.2.1). I am not
    sure which is the DNS that needs to be pointed to so I wil give you what I
    found.

    Under its "gateway" status:
    IP 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP server enabled
    UPnP off
    DMZ not enabled
    It is WPA protected but MAC filter is off for now.

    Under the "Internet" status:
    WAN IP 70.177.xxx.xxx (in case I am not supposed to divulge this ?)
    Subnet mask 255.255.240.0 (is 240 correct here?)
    Gateway 70.177.yyy.yyy
    Primary DNS 64.83.0.10
    Secdondary DNS 64.83.1.10

    To remind you the laptop that has trouble remaining online has:
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Do you notice an error I should change?

    Again, thank you so muich for lending a helping hand.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Jeff

    Frankster Guest

    Okay, I am not familiar with the SMC router (routers sometimes use different
    terminology for the same thing), but from what I see, I believe you have all
    this configured correctly. I am interpreting "gateway" status to be the LAN
    side and "Internet" status to be the WAN side.

    Having said that, the next step I would pursue is to get this same info from
    your cable modem. If this is a DNS issue, that also could be the culprit.

    If the cable modem is configured properly, I would probably suspect some
    other cause of the trouble. In your scenario, it appears that the router
    "Internet" status gateway of 70.177.yyy.yyy must be your cable modem's IP. I
    don't know much about how cable modems operate.

    In case you are not sure what we are looking for...

    Many folks configure both external (WAN-ISP provided) and internal (LAN
    provided) DNS entries into the TCP/IP properties of their machine. They are
    thinking that if the LAN DNS cannot find a name, it will next try the WAN
    DNS. Not true! That description is more like the description of a
    "forwarder" function within a DNS server itself. TCP/IP properties in a DNS
    client do not act as a "forwarder" in a DNS server. What actually may happen
    is that when you query an external domain (like yahoo.com) and the query
    goes to your internal (LAN) DNS, you get an answer. The answer may be "could
    not find host". That is an answer. Therefore It stops right there! The
    only time a client will revert to the secondary TCP/IP DNS entry you have
    configured is if it cannot *reach* the name server at all. Effectively,
    this usually results in this working for a while, but one time, for whatever
    reason, the primary DNS cannot be reached, it reverts to the secondary and
    gets the answer "could not find host". After that, it's over, until it once
    again cannot *reach* the DNS. This usually results in seemingly
    intermittent loss of "connection" as it flips back and forth, over time.
    Often, rebooting will "fix" it because the client DNS entries start over at
    the beginning after a reboot.

    You want to make sure your client's (even DNS servers themselves are clients
    too) are "chained" together (my words). IOW, no loops. Just from one to the
    next ,to the next, to the next. No double entries or double IPs. The whole
    thing is supposed to operate in "series".

    Anyway, maybe you have a DNS issue, maybe you don't. Check out the cable
    modem and see what you can find. Also, if anyone else sees any issues with
    your setup, please jump in.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I connected the problem laptop (the one that was losing wireless internet
    access) to the router with a cable and there seems to be no loss of internet
    access this way.

    Does this mean that the problem might be with the Linksys PC Card adapter
    itself or could it still be a problem with the configuration of the wlan? I
    do not have a second adapter to try on this laptop.

    With the cable attachment to the router, ipconfig /all gives

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xyz.........
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet
    Adapte
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : .....
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 05, 2006
    1:19:55 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 12, 2006
    1:19:55 AM

    which I believe is similar to what I had with the wireless adapter in place.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Jeff

    Frankster Guest

    Well, Jeff, all your ipconfig screens looked good so far. So... if it works
    with the cable and not the wireless card, I too would suspect the card.
    You're right. The numbers on the wireless config also appeared just fine. We
    have probably ruled out the DNS issue. Sorry this took so long. You really
    probably need to find a way to try another wireless adapter. I suppose the
    wireless router could still be an issue too.

    Please let us know what you find. Other than the above, I'm out of ideas
    :).

    -Frank

    Frankster, Jan 5, 2006
  12. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you. I appreciate your help.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2006
  13. Trying another wireless NIC may help but there isn't conclusive
    evidence to prove this.

    One interesting thing about your earlier ipconfig result is the IP
    address, 192.168.2.186. The default range on the SMC AP I have for IP
    address assignment via DHCP is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199. These
    are typically assigned consequetively, such that if I had an address
    192.168.0.186 that means there are 85 other addresses already assigned.
    This would indicate there are a bunch of machines already connected to
    the AP, or that a machine is taking up many of those addresses perhaps
    after reconnecting. Typically a machine should reclaim its original
    address after reconnecting however.

    You may want to look around to see what the address range assigned
    via DHCP is for your router. This is in the LAN section on the SMC I
    have here. Another interesting thing to check is the DHCP client log.
    On my AP, if I go to the STATUS section, the DHCP client log shows what
    IP addresses are currently assigned and to who. That might reveal
    something.

    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Jan 5, 2006
  14. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Dear Frank.

    Thanks for writing.

    Well, I went out and bought another adapter (Linksys wpc54g) which was on
    sale and after installing it, it did exactly the same thing. I therefore
    called Linksys tech support and some one in India helped me out. Could
    hardly understand him but he knew what he was doing. Essentially he
    uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the latest drivers. Now the laptop
    seems to stay connected. (Time will tell .......)

    HOWEVER, I too was concerned about the IP addresses. Initially I had set
    this problem laptop to acquire the ip address automatically from the router.
    When I started having trouble, I did a ipconfig /all, saw that my assigned
    ip was 192.168.2.186 and decided that maybe I might connect better or faster
    by assigning a ip to it and I therefore assigned this ip permanently to it.
    (Is that a good idea?)

    On the router status screen, the ip addresses the router sees are only those
    of my own 3 PCs. I was planning anyway (some day) to narrow the router range
    of ip addresses (because I think I once read that this added security ?).
    Thus I might give it only a range of 3-4 ip number range for the 3 PC I have
    at home. I used to have the MAC filter on before all my troubles began and
    now I will switch it on after I enter the new adapter's MAC. There was
    probably nothing wrong with my old adapter and it was just having the same
    driver conflict. However, as long as things keep working I will stick with
    the new one. Worth every cent of the $39 I spent on it, especially since it
    upgraded me from b to g.

    Right now I am just happy to remain connected!! So I may leave things alone
    for a while before reducing the range of router ip addresses.

    How do you like your SMC router? I find it works fine for me.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 5, 2006
  15. Hah you were so thorough with everything else I assumed you already had
    updated the drivers. I'm glad that worked out.

    I don't think reducing the range of addresses assigned by DHCP will make
    things more secure in any meaningful way. It might just be hassle down the
    road, so I wouldn't recommend doing that. I also would not recommend
    assigning an IP address- let DHCP do its magic. As for the SMC AP I was
    using, it seems reliable but I don't use it for extended periods so I'm not
    a good judge.
    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Jan 6, 2006
  16. Jeff

    Frankster Guest

    > ...some one in India helped me out

    Holy samolies! :) LOL! That's gotta be a first. Hehe... okay, I know I
    shouldn't say that. I'm really glad you got it going!

    > Essentially he uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the latest drivers.

    Hmm... man, driver bug. Tough one!

    Good luck!

    -Frank
    Frankster, Jan 6, 2006