  1. Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has performed
    an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up. In the details it
    says WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in module WINWORD.EXE. Help!

    Philip Breeze-Lamb, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    °Mike° Guest

    Close down Word and delete the normal.dot file. Reboot.

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:58:41 +0100, in
    <7jZRa.1679$>
    Philip Breeze-Lamb scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 18, 2003

  3. > Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has performed
    > an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up.

    Try using better software:
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    Alexander Rogge, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    Phil Guest

    Alexander Rogge <> wrote in

    >> Every time I try to open Word the error message "this program has
    >> performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" comes up.

    > Try using better software:
    > http://www.openoffice.org/

    How would that help the OP to open Word?

    Phil, Jul 19, 2003
  5. Thanks! You're a genius - it worked!

    Philip Breeze-Lamb, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    Phil Guest

    Phil, Jul 19, 2003
  7. Alexander Rogge, Jul 19, 2003
  8. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    °Mike° Guest

    You're squaimed. [1]

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:38:29 +0100, in
    <g6iSa.2629$>
    Philip Breeze-Lamb scrawled:

    >Thanks! You're a genius - it worked!
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Close down Word and delete the normal.dot file. Reboot.

    <snip>

    --
    [1] See: news:

    °Mike°, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    Auric__ Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:17:26 +0000, Alexander Rogge
    <> wrote:

    >>>http://www.openoffice.org/

    >> How would that help the OP to open Word?

    >It will help to remove the dependence on Microsoft's proprietary,
    >unstable, and bloated software.
    >
    >http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/wp.html

    But what if he already has Word and doesn't want to take the time to
    download 60+ MB just to write a letter?

    While I agree with the "free" part, there's also a lot to be said for
    the "already got it" part. I use MS Office 2000 instead of a free
    office suite - not because it's better, easier, or anything, but
    because I'm used to all (well, most) of it's quirks and foibles, and I
    don't care to take the time to get used to another company's quirks
    and foibles.

    And yes, I've tried several free suites, notably Software 602,
    StarOffice, and AbiWord., and several non-free ones, including Corel
    WP & Lotus... uh... something (been a while). Didn't really like any
    of them.
    --
    auric "underscore" "underscore" "at" hotmail "dot" com

    Auric__, Jul 20, 2003
  10. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:40:27
    -0700, gangle uttered this:

    >Yeppers, the change of pace is far less nerve-wracking.

    I rather like the "You're enterageeciatedlyable" version, myself....

    Makes a nice fluctuvertion, don't you think?

    "Or is that too moderorphosed?"

    William Poaster, Jul 20, 2003
  11. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    °Mike° Guest

    To you, maybe; I've had to increase my valium dose threefold.

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:40:27 -0700, in
    <>
    gangle scrawled:

    --
    "Psychoceramics: The study of crackpots."

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  12. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:55:55 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:40:27
    >-0700, gangle uttered this:
    >
    >>Yeppers, the change of pace is far less nerve-wracking.

    >I rather like the "You're enterageeciatedlyable" version, myself....
    >
    >Makes a nice fluctuvertion, don't you think?
    >
    >"Or is that too moderorphosed?"

    OK, you are now officially weird!

    <snip>

    --
    "Are you saving up to become eccentric?"

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2003
  13. Philip Breeze-Lamb

    gangle Guest

    You're welcome.