Why can't I install Epson printer driver?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Henk van Winkoop, May 8, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
    device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
    printer.
    Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
    driver is allready installed!
    Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
    manager.
    Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.

    Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
    Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the USB-port
    related driver.

    Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
    not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to starting
    the installation software as is adviced.

    How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?

    regards,

    Henk
    Henk van Winkoop, May 8, 2007

  2. Henk van Winkoop

    Pen Guest

    Henk van Winkoop wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
    > device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
    > printer.
    > Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
    > driver is allready installed!
    > Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
    > manager.
    > Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.
    >
    > Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
    > Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the USB-port
    > related driver.
    >
    > Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
    > not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to starting
    > the installation software as is adviced.
    >
    > How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Henk

    Go here and download and read the setup guide.
    You have to install the drivers from the CD ROM.
    http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pr...42CC0BCBC54F579001DCCEE1BA46928A1829024CA72DB
    Pen, May 8, 2007

  3. Henk van Winkoop

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Henk van Winkoop" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
    > device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
    > printer.
    > Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
    > driver is allready installed!
    > Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
    > manager.
    > Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.
    >
    > Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
    > Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the
    > USB-port related driver.
    >
    > Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
    > not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to
    > starting the installation software as is adviced.
    >
    > How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?

    You know you can go to Device Manager, select the device, right-click/select
    Properties and go to the Driver tab and uninstall and reinstall the driver
    there.
    Mr. Arnold, May 8, 2007
  4. Thanks, I allready tries this before but my problem is not found there.

    Henk van Winkoop, May 9, 2007
  5. > You know you can go to Device Manager, select the device,
    > right-click/select Properties and go to the Driver tab and uninstall and
    > reinstall the driver there.

    I allready tried this before, when searching for new hardware it
    automatically will reinstalls the allready previous installed 'wrong'
    driver.

    But I will try a restore point, probably that helps...

    Henk van Winkoop, May 9, 2007
  6. Henk van Winkoop

    Pen Guest

    Henk van Winkoop wrote:
    > Thanks, I allready tries this before but my problem is not found there.

    Yes it is. Your problem is that the driver MUST be installed BEFORE you
    hook up the printer. Follow the instructions exactly. This is a very
    common issue with certain printers/all in ones.

    Pen, May 9, 2007
  7. Hello,

    To answer myself,

    the problem was in the USB cable!!!

    the failing cable did detect that some equipment was atached to the computer
    but somehow it did not recognize the apparatus. After using a new USB-cable
    all problems were gone!

    thanks for listening anyway..;-)

    regards,

    Henk