Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 64bit Edition?
    cg
    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows64bit

    Because the computer is smarter than you!

    My MS Office 2003 loaded without a problem and has received all the
    update via Windows Update!

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Okay, you state, "Windows 64 bit Edition." Do you have Windows 64 Bit
    Edition or Windows Professional x64? There is a difference, in case you
    didn't know.

    Windows 64 Bit Edition is, I believe, solely for Itatanium processors. If
    you have an AMD Athlon 64 (or Turion or Opteron, etc.) or Intel processors
    with 64 bit extensions, then Windows Professional x64 is used. They are not
    interoperable. Windows 64 Bit Edition simply won't work on Athlon 64s or
    Intel EMTs.

    For the record, Office 2003 SP3 installed without problem on my Windows x64.

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    Windows Professional x64

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Current release level of Office 2003 is SP2. There is no publicly released
    SP3 that I'm aware of.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    I guess I meant sp2. Oops.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    No problem. Office SP2 should install without issues in x64 Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    Chad: Have you looked at the event logs to see if there are any errors that
    may help us get some solutions for you to get this fixed?

    When you try to install SP2 for Outlook 2003, what happens? Are there error
    messages during the install of SP2? If so, what are they?

    We are all here to help, and would like to help you resolve this.

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006
  9. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    Ok here is the event:

    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( OfficeUpdateV3 ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
    to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
    Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
    V3_2|512263|INSTALL|MAINSP2_7969_ENG||2006-02-15 18:55:32|9|FAIL|00000000|The
    operation completed successfully.|.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  10. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    the previously mentioned error was called a
    'failure audit'

    and another ones says

    Error

    and says

    Product: Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components - Update
    '{8410C326-02DF-48E7-9463-A44770064265}' could not be installed. Error code
    1642. Additional information is available in the log file
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OfficeUpdate\OU(00007)_Msi.log.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  11. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    Is the latest version of the Windows Installer installed? Some persons could
    not install Office 2003 because of that a few months back.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 16, 2006
  12. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    How od I determine what I version I have?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    Chad: Go into Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to the bottom of the list
    and look to see if you have Windows Installer 3.1.

    If you don't, you should be able to get fully updated on everything by going
    to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate. I'm not sure if you are
    using the new Microsoft Update yet or if you are still using Windows Update.
    I suggest using Microsoft Update from now on as it's able to detect upgrades
    for Windows, MS Office, etc. whereas Windows Update, for example, could
    detect or recommend updates for MS Office.

    Post back and let me (us) know.

    Thanks.

    Torrey Lauer, Feb 16, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?RGlzZ3VzdGVk?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows6

    It should show up in the Add or Remove Programs panel. I don't have the
    link for it on the MS site, but the KB # is 898715. The full file name
    is WindowsXP-KB898715-x64-enu.exe

    It came out last summer some time, but don't remember exactly.

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006
  15. Re: Why can't I get sp3 for office 2003 to install on my Windows 6

    I don't see the windows installer 3.1. I think I tried to install that but if
    failed. Here is something I just noticed that is weird. Using the new windows
    updater, it says I don't need any updates but when I use the office updater,
    it says i need to install sp2. When I look, it looks like I have sp2
    installed. Maybe its just the office updater is messed up or a log file on my
    computer is lying.

    So the good news seems like I do have sp2 installed but the bad news is that
    my outlook 2003 is not connecting to exchange consistantly.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZCBHYXJiZXIgKG5vIGxvbmdlciBkaXNndXN0, Feb 16, 2006
  16. I have the 64 bit Edition, and I purchased a LifeDrive from Palm. It turns
    out that i can't use it... does anyone know a work around, or should I just
    send the lifedrive back?

    --
    Molermole

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9sZXJtb2xl?=, Feb 21, 2006