    Calligraphy Invitations And... by Miriam
    http://greatbird.com/cia/
    305-932-7570

    Miriam Feldstein, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Miriam Feldstein

    Mike Easter Guest

    Miriam Feldstein wrote:
    Subject: why can't I get all my newsgroups any longer?

    > What do I have to do to get them back...

    Your newsserver path line indicates that you are an EL client whose news
    was recently outsourced to supernews. As a result of this changover,
    two things can influence your perception that you are unable to access
    groups that you previously got.

    One factor is that the newsservers news.east.earthlink.net and
    news.west.earthlink.net which used to access the newsserver
    news.earthlink.net not longer do so. news.earthlink.net is at
    207.217.125.201 an EL IP, but the west and east are at 216.168.3.70 a
    supernews IP.

    As a consequence of that, your OE's 'concept' of the accounts which you
    used before may need to be upgraded by resetting the newsserver's list.

    In OE, this list resetting is performed by selecting the newsserver
    account in the L folder view which causes the R pane to show a function
    with 3 buttons, one of which is named 'Newsgroups'. If you click that
    button, you will access a function for that news account called
    'Newsgroup subscriptions' and the newsgroup subscriptions function has a
    button on the R called 'Reset List'. If you click that button, your
    newsreader will redownload the newsgroup list which may give you access
    to newsgroups which seemed to be inaccessible before you reset the list.

    However, that is not the only problem which you may be encountering.

    Another problem is that EL has neglected its news administration for a
    very long time, whereas supernews keeps up with its news administration
    and supernews does not feed the rogue newsgroups which have no charter
    and such as that. So, there are newsgroups which were present on the
    'old' EL server which are not present on the supernews server. Two such
    examples recently discussed in EL support groups were comp.os.linux and
    comp.os.linux.admin -- both of which groups have been deprecated for
    over a decade in favor of their succeeding groups.

    So, if your groups are to be found on the supernews server, you should
    be able to find them by resetting the accounts list of newsgroups as
    described above; whereas if your groups are /not/ to be found on the
    supernews server, you should create an account for the old EL server at
    news.earthlink.net and use that server to access your groups.

    Or, you can create an account on some other newsserver, free or
    otherwise, which carries the groups you want.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 13, 2007

  3. Miriam Feldstein wrote:
    > What do I have to do to get them back...

    I detect that you are posting from North Miami Beach and you have a
    husband named Seymour, which is nothing to be ashamed of. You have India
    ink stains on your fingers and you pick your nose when nobody is
    looking. But I can't figure out your newsgroup question due to lack of
    information. What reader? Outlook Express is what you posted this
    message with. Try resetting your groups.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Miriam Feldstein

    Rectum Burn Guest

    "Miriam Feldstein" <> said in news:13bvhuqhnit9t82
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > What do I have to do to get them back...

    You have to grovel, my dear.

    HTH

    Rectum Burrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burn, Aug 13, 2007