Why cant Browesers Print.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jun 4, 2011.

  1. Frank Williams, Jun 4, 2011

  2. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 4/06/2011 1:49 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > Why cant Browesers Print.
    >

    > Try this article in print preview
    >
    > http://lifehacker.com/5446092/the-definitive-guide-to-making-the-most-of-your-netbook
    >

    > Try this article
    >
    > Opera 11 seems to stuff up badly and from trying to print with it it
    > would be the worse Brorser for pinting.
    >
    > IE8 seems to be OK.
    >
    > Firefox 4 drops a few pages.

    Web designers makeing it for screen and not providing an alternate
    printing stylesheet.

    Cant blame the browsers for doing a shit job when most web design is
    fixed width shit because designers are lazy.

    Richard, Jun 4, 2011

  3. Frank Williams

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:49:00 +1200, Frank Williams wrote:

    > Why cant Browesers Print.

    Because "browsers" are designed to render web pages designed for display
    on a monitor, and not on a printer.

    IF your browser can handle CSS, and IF your browser can print, and IF the
    web page in question has been designed with a different CSS for printing
    instead of the one designed for display on a monitor, then PERHAPS your
    browser might be able to print a web page in a way that fits on the width
    of a single page.

    Boots, Jun 4, 2011
  4. My solution to this problem is to capture the item as a .pdf.

    If I want to print the item, printing from any .pdf program is usually
    quite straight forward and preserves the spatial relationships of the
    original display.

    In Firefox 4 the menu bar add-on 'Save as PDF' by pdfcrowd.com does a
    good job; before this add-on came along, I used PDF995 for years,
    usually set as my default printer.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jun 4, 2011
  5. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 4/06/2011 1:49 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

    > Why cant Browesers Print.
    >

    > Try this article in print preview
    >
    > http://lifehacker.com/5446092/the-definitive-guide-to-making-the-most-of-your-netbook
    >

    > Try this article
    >
    > Opera 11 seems to stuff up badly and from trying to print with it it
    > would be the worse Brorser for pinting.
    >
    > IE8 seems to be OK.
    >
    > Firefox 4 drops a few pages.

    Install the Readability add-on in Firefox or Chrome

    victor, Jun 5, 2011