    photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"

    Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?

    Beemer

    Beemer, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Beemer

    Joan Guest

    You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    some meaningful means.

    --
    Joan

    "Beemer" <> wrote in message
    : I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    around 3000
    :

    Joan, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Beemer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,
    Joan <2> wrote:
    >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    >some meaningful means.
    >
    >--
    >Joan
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    >
    >"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    >around 3000
    >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
    >full"
    >:
    >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >:
    >: Beemer
    >:

    2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
    temporary file that contains all your images.

    If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
    your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
    get some hands-on advice, first.

    If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    | In article <44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,
    | Joan <2> wrote:
    | >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    | >some meaningful means.
    | >
    | >--
    | >Joan
    | >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    | >
    | >"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    | >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    | >around 3000
    | >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
    | >full"
    | >:
    | >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    | >:
    | >: Beemer
    | >:
    |
    | 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
    | temporary file that contains all your images.
    |
    | If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
    | your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
    | get some hands-on advice, first.
    |
    | If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
    |
    | --
    | a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    |
    | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

    I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
    files in one folder?

    Beemer

    Beemer, Aug 19, 2006
  5. Beemer

    Pete D Guest

    "Beemer" <> wrote in message

    > "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    > | In article
    > <44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,
    > | Joan <2> wrote:
    > | >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    > | >some meaningful means.
    > | >
    > | >--
    > | >Joan
    > | >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    > | >
    > | >"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    > | >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    > | >around 3000
    > | >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
    > | >full"
    > | >:
    > | >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    > | >:
    > | >: Beemer
    > | >:
    > |
    > | 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
    > | temporary file that contains all your images.
    > |
    > | If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
    > | your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
    > | get some hands-on advice, first.
    > |
    > | If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
    > |
    > | --
    > | a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    > |
    > | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
    >
    > I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
    > files in one folder?
    >
    > Beemer

    DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

    Pete D, Aug 19, 2006
  6. Beemer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <JBDFg.5675$>,
    Beemer <> wrote:

    >"Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    >| In article <44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,
    >| Joan <2> wrote:
    >| >You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    >| >some meaningful means.
    >| >
    >| >--
    >| >Joan
    >| >http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    >| >
    >| >"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    >| >: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    >| >around 3000
    >| >: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
    >| >full"
    >| >:
    >| >: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >| >:
    >| >: Beemer
    >| >:
    >|
    >| 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
    >| temporary file that contains all your images.
    >|
    >| If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
    >| your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
    >| get some hands-on advice, first.
    >|
    >| If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
    >|
    >| --
    >| a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >|
    >| Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
    >
    >I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
    >files in one folder?

    NTFS, and the versions of Windows that use it, have no limitations on
    file size or number of files that anyone that has home computer will
    face. The problem is somewhere else, probably your burning
    application.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Aug 19, 2006
  7. Beemer

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <44e7077f$0$32756$>,
    Pete D <> wrote:

    >"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    >> | In article
    >> <44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,

    >> | 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
    >> | temporary file that contains all your images.
    >> |
    >> | If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
    >> | your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
    >> | get some hands-on advice, first.
    >> |
    >> | If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >> |
    >> | Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
    >>
    >> I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
    >> files in one folder?
    >>
    >> Beemer
    >>

    >DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

    The DVD doesn't, but the PC that burns it does.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Al Dykes, Aug 19, 2006
  8. Beemer

    EF in FLA Guest

    > I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
    > photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"

    Download deepburner and see if it can handle more than 2,000.

    ef

    EF in FLA, Aug 19, 2006
  9. Beemer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, Beemer wrote:

    > I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
    > photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
    >
    > Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?

    No, there shouldn't be. I just had a look at Padus's online
    manual / help file, and it shows that DiskJuggler Standard Edition
    supports several CD file systems and formats, but if you need
    support for DVD file systems and formats, you have to purchase
    DiskJuggler Professional Edition. Are you able to actually burn
    2.2GB of photos on a DVD or do you get the error message before the
    burning actually starts, when you're just adding files prior to
    actually starting the DVD write process? Is your DiskJuggler the
    Standard Edition or the Professional Edition? If it's the Standard
    Edition, the program may have used signed long integers to keep
    track of the files it will be writing to the disc, and signed long
    integers range from approximately - 2GB to + 2GB. Obviously more
    than enough to keep track of what would be burned to a CD, which can
    only hold about 700 MB to 800 MB, but not nearly enough to match
    what a DVD can hold. Poor error handling in the program would
    detect the integer variable's overflow error, but instead of telling
    you that you've exceeded its capacity, it just reports "disc full",
    which would be misleading. See:

    http://www.padus.com/support/manuals/450/html/02_Getting_Started/02_Features.htm

    If you're using DiskJuggler Professional Edition, then I don't
    know why you can't write more than 2.2 GB to the DVDs.

    ASAAR, Aug 19, 2006
  10. "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,
    > Joan <2> wrote:
    >>You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    >>some meaningful means.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Joan
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    >>
    >>"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    >>: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    >>around 3000
    >>: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
    >>full"
    >>:
    >>: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >>:
    >>: Beemer
    >>:

    > 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making
    > temporary file that contains all your images.

    Al, isn't the 2GB a limit if FAT16, not FAT32?

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Aug 19, 2006
  11. Beemer

    Matt Ion Guest

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article
    >><44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,
    >>Joan <2> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
    >>>some meaningful means.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Joan
    >>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    >>>
    >>>"Beemer" <> wrote in message
    >>>: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
    >>>around 3000
    >>>: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
    >>>full"
    >>>:
    >>>: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >>>:
    >>>: Beemer
    >>>:

    >>2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making
    >>temporary file that contains all your images.

    > Al, isn't the 2GB a limit if FAT16, not FAT32?

    2GB is a limitation of FAT16 *drive capacities*. FAT32 still has a limitation
    of 2GB *file sizes*. If the burning program is creating a local image on the
    HDD before burning, it could have this problem if the designated temporary-file
    target is on a FAT32 drive (although that doesn't appear to be the case here).

    I'd expect this is a problem with the ISO-9660 filesystem most burner apps
    default to. If the OP burns using UDF, he may have more success...

    Matt Ion, Aug 19, 2006
  12. Beemer

    Robert Guest

    "Beemer" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
    > photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
    >
    > Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >
    > Beemer

    Have you checked options. (make bootable will take up extra space) or that
    your system is recognizing you DVD drive correctly. or if you have the right
    media DVD-r, DVD+r, DVD+rw, DVD-rw for your drive.

    you may try another burning software program.

    cdburnerxp pro is free to use for private use download it here

    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Robert

    Robert, Aug 19, 2006
  13. Beemer

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, "Beemer" <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
    > photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
    >
    > Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?

    3,000 photos in one folder is way too many.

    I put 200 per folder maximum. This makes the folders heaps faster to open.

    , Aug 19, 2006
  14. Beemer

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, "Beemer" <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
    >photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
    >
    >Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >
    >Beemer

    Try breaking the files up into smaller 'chunks', putting each 'chunk'
    of files into a seperate folder.
    I think there's a limit to how many files the root folder of a DVD can
    hold; use folders to break that limit.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Aug 20, 2006
  15. Beemer

    no_name Guest

    Beemer wrote:

    > I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
    > photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
    >
    > Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    >
    > Beemer

    Probably run out of handles.

    --

    These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
    me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

    John

    no_name, Aug 20, 2006
  16. Beemer

    no_name Guest

    Pete D wrote:

    > "Beemer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    >>| In article
    >><44e6fe8f$0$32761$>,

    >>| 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
    >>| temporary file that contains all your images.
    >>|
    >>| If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
    >>| your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
    >>| get some hands-on advice, first.
    >>|
    >>| If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
    >>|
    >>| --
    >>| a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >>|
    >>| Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
    >>
    >>I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
    >>files in one folder?
    >>
    >>Beemer
    >>

    > DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

    But Windoze does. I think what's happening is windoze is running out of
    handles for the number of files in a single folder.

    no_name, Aug 20, 2006
  17. Beemer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:48:28 GMT, no_name wrote:

> [...]

    . . .

    >> DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

    > But Windoze does. I think what's happening is windoze is running out of
    > handles for the number of files in a single folder.

    I just tried that and NT doesn't have a problem with that number
    of files in a folder. I just used an old program to create 10,000
    files in a single folder, sequentially named the way photo files
    usually are. I used a FAT32 partition instead of NTFS and used Easy
    Media Creator 8 to append these to a data CD. As the test was only
    to see if it could be done or whether insufficient file handles or
    any other problem would get in the way, I made the files fairly
    small. EMC8 verified the copy and my program also checked the files
    and found them to be exact copies of the original files. As I said
    in my other message in this thread, there's a good chance that the
    version of DiskJuggler used by the OP was designed to work only with
    CDs and never even got started writing to the DVD, but reported an
    error while it was adding the list of files to its own internal
    memory buffers.

    ASAAR, Aug 20, 2006
  18. ASAAR wrote:

    > . . .
    >
    >>> DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

    >> But Windoze does. I think what's happening is windoze is running out of
    >> handles for the number of files in a single folder.

    > I just tried that and NT doesn't have a problem with that number
    > of files in a folder.

    ISTR, some old filesystems have a limitation of the number of files in
    the root directory.
    Maybe the DVD file system suffers from this too?
    Try to create one subdirectory and put your photos in there.

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

    Volker Hetzer, Aug 20, 2006
  19. Beemer

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:46:58 +0200, Volker Hetzer wrote:

    > > I just tried that and NT doesn't have a problem with that number
    > > of files in a folder.

    > ISTR, some old filesystems have a limitation of the number of files in
    > the root directory.
    > Maybe the DVD file system suffers from this too?
    > Try to create one subdirectory and put your photos in there.

    Some old FAT filesystems do limit the number of files that can go
    in their root directories. But it's hardly reasonable to assume
    that it may be responsible for the OP's troubles. First, he did say
    that the files were placed in a *folder*, and the error message
    appears when he tries filling it with more than 3000 files. I
    suspect that he can get more than 3000 files in the folder, but his
    version of DiskJuggler chokes when it attempts to scan more than
    about 3000 filenames, for the reason given in my first message.
    Second, having the files in a folder, it's probable that the OP
    would attempt to copy the folder, not its contents to the DVD.
    Lastly, he did NOT say that he's using the Professional Edition of
    DiskJuggler, which appears to be the only version that's compatible
    with DVDs. If he's using the Standard Edition, that would explain
    his problem, since DiskJuggler's online documentation shows that it
    is designed to work with CDs, not DVDs.

    In any case, I don't intend to do any more tests with EMC8, since
    whatever it shows is only suggestive of what DiskJuggler might or
    might not do. To really know, I'd not only have to use DiskJuggler,
    I'd have to use the same version that the OP uses, and so far the
    only thing he has identified is that he is using NTFS, but not the
    version of Windows nor the version of DiskJuggler.

    ASAAR, Aug 20, 2006
  20. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, Beemer wrote:
    |
    | > I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around
    3000
    | > photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
    | >
    | > Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
    |
    | No, there shouldn't be. I just had a look at Padus's online
    | manual / help file, and it shows that DiskJuggler Standard Edition
    | supports several CD file systems and formats, but if you need
    | support for DVD file systems and formats, you have to purchase
    | DiskJuggler Professional Edition. Are you able to actually burn
    | 2.2GB of photos on a DVD or do you get the error message before the
    | burning actually starts, when you're just adding files prior to
    | actually starting the DVD write process? Is your DiskJuggler the
    | Standard Edition or the Professional Edition? If it's the Standard
    | Edition, the program may have used signed long integers to keep
    | track of the files it will be writing to the disc, and signed long
    | integers range from approximately - 2GB to + 2GB. Obviously more
    | than enough to keep track of what would be burned to a CD, which can
    | only hold about 700 MB to 800 MB, but not nearly enough to match
    | what a DVD can hold. Poor error handling in the program would
    | detect the integer variable's overflow error, but instead of telling
    | you that you've exceeded its capacity, it just reports "disc full",
    | which would be misleading. See:

    http://www.padus.com/support/manuals/450/html/02_Getting_Started/02_Features.htm

    | If you're using DiskJuggler Professional Edition, then I don't
    | know why you can't write more than 2.2 GB to the DVDs.

    I'm using XP SP2 and DiscJuggler Pro 4.6

    I tried to make a RW+ data dvd with 3500 photos a mix of jpg, tiff and PSD
    with all files in the root (if I can use that word with a dvd) then treid
    again with them in a single folder. Same result after approx 2.2GB and
    around 2000 files DJ reported disc full.

    I had tried three RW+ DVDs which had previously held VIDEO_TS. They had
    been erased using DJP.

    There was no indication in DJP when I was burning the photos that the DVD
    still contained content. However when I used XP "drag to CD" then alternate
    clicked to make DVD I noticed that it said "files available" but also "files
    already on disc" (or similar words)

    I had an erasing problem with DJP which after its reinstallation has
    disappeared.

    Thanks to all for the discussion. Just to finish it off am I correct that
    it makes no difference when burning a data DVD whether a large number of
    files are first put inside a folder?

    Beemer

    It was only when I used the XP drag to "CD" and then

    Beemer, Aug 24, 2006