    others' monitors come out different shades of green.

    And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    control at all.

    Christopher Campbell, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Christopher Campbell

    Mark² Guest

    Christopher Campbell wrote:
    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your
    > monitor at all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is
    > not going to match the print. The print, for one thing, is not
    > backlit, which seems to me to be a major change right there. And if I
    > am just going to show the picture on the web, I have no control over
    > others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones on others' monitors come
    > out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really
    > have no control at all.

    I was likely one of the people in that thread...and my prints match my
    monitor exactly.
    Color, shadows, highlights, everything.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 19, 2006

  3. Christopher Campbell

    Roy G Guest

    "Christopher Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor
    > at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to
    > be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on
    > the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones
    > on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    Hi,

    There is a very large amount of truth and a certain amount of logic in what
    you say.

    You will never get a Print to Exactly match the screen, because of the
    transmitted light, and also because of the different Gamuts.

    BUT if you calibrate it, and your Printer, then you should get the
    differences down to a reasonable amount.

    If you post images on the Web or send them by Email, at least those people
    with Calibrated Monitors will see your images the same way you do.

    For those who don't bother calibrating, they will get whatever colours and
    density their system happens to show. That will be their loss.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Christopher Campbell

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Christopher Campbell <> wrote:
    > Christopher Campbell wrote:
    > > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your
    > > monitor at all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is
    > > not going to match the print. The print, for one thing, is not
    > > backlit, which seems to me to be a major change right there.

    If your monitor is calibrated properly, that's irrelevant to the result.

    > > And if I
    > > am just going to show the picture on the web, I have no control over
    > > others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones on others' monitors come
    > > out different shades of green.

    As for the other peoples's monitors, I don't care particularly if
    theirs are not correct - that's their problem, not mine, and one that
    has no bearing on my workflow. If they tolerate green skin tones when
    it's obvious that they shouldn't be, it's an SEP.

    > > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really
    > > have no control at all.

    Wrong. You dial up the color profile for the printer and paper that
    they are going to be using (you DID ask them, right? And request a
    copy of their profiles prior to final image adjustment?), and output
    the image sent to them appropriately, and it still comes back just like
    it was on your monitor. That's all part of a managed-color workflow.

    In article <_KXhh.15952$>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    answered:
    > I was likely one of the people in that thread...and my prints match my
    > monitor exactly.
    > Color, shadows, highlights, everything.

    Which is exactly the whole point of calibration - so youu can
    soft-proof your image onscreen and not waste paper/ink/time/hardware
    usage/effort [all==$$] to repetively make a print, tweak it, make a
    print, tweak it, etc.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Christopher Campbell

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor
    > at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to
    > be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on
    > the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones
    > on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    I calibrate both and the match damned near perfect. Maybe that's why...

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 20, 2006
  6. Christopher Campbell

    Skip Guest

    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor
    > at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to
    > be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on
    > the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones
    > on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    Actually, even if you aren't printing yourself, you still have control. If
    your monitor is calibrated, it will match your printer's output. If you
    take a print from your own printer to the lab, that lets them know what you
    expect. In our case, we have our monitors calibrated with the same (Spyder)
    software as the local lab we use the most, so our output matches theirs on a
    consistent basis. Even given that, our output matches that of Mpix and
    White House Custom Color. If our monitors were not calibrated, then we'd be
    engaging in a crapshoot every time we sent a file in for production. This
    way, we have some leverage if we were to tell them the color is incorrect.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Christopher Campbell wrote:
    > And if I am just going to show the picture on the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.

    Everyone else has pointed out the flaws in your argument, but the above
    quote is correct. If you're just generating images for the web, to be
    viewed by the average, uncalibrated monitor, a fully managed workflow
    isn't necessary.

    Derek Fountain, Dec 20, 2006
  8. Christopher Campbell

    David Azose Guest

    Christopher Campbell wrote:
    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    I think a color managed work flow is only necessary if you will be
    having someone other than yourself print (or view?) your images. The
    goal here is PREDICTABLE color, especially between 2 or more calibrated
    systems. In that case, it certainly helps to have things calibrated to a
    known standard.

    If you will be printing the images yourself, on your own printer, using
    just your own monitor, then "pleasing color" is what you are after. If
    it looks right to you, your done, and for that you really don't need to
    calibrate anything.

    David A.

    David Azose, Dec 20, 2006
  9. Christopher Campbell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Derek Fountain wrote:
    > Christopher Campbell wrote:
    >> And if I am just going to show the picture on the web, I have no
    >> control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones on others'
    >> monitors come out different shades of green.

    > Everyone else has pointed out the flaws in your argument, but the above
    > quote is correct. If you're just generating images for the web, to be
    > viewed by the average, uncalibrated monitor, a fully managed workflow
    > isn't necessary.

    I set up monitor very scientifically. I displayed both text, and
    images, and set it to display the scene the way I LIKED IT. Job done.
    No printed charts, no color matching, just set it for my own personal
    preferences. Funny, but when I print, things look just like they did no
    the monitor. Same eyes, maybe? Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 21, 2006
  10. Christopher Campbell

    Mike Russell Guest

    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor
    > at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to
    > be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on
    > the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones
    > on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    LOL - everything you say has some truth to it. If you find that your
    results are satisfactory, there is indeed no need for calibration. That
    said, there is some benefit to calibrating with a screen colorimeter such as
    the Spyder or the Eye One, but this is not absolutely necessary for good and
    even excellent results.

    Print and display will never match, in the sense that you might grab your
    LCD screen by mistake, thinking it is a piece of paper, however it is
    possible to use an LCD image as a good guide for overall brightness, as well
    as detailed contrast and color judgments, and have that pay off in terms of
    a good looking, predictable print. Once again, calibration devices may not
    be necessary at all for this, which is a good think since printer
    calibration generally requires an order of magnitude more investment in
    equipment than accurate monitor calibration.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Dec 21, 2006
  11. "Christopher Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor
    > at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to
    > be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on
    > the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones
    > on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    If someone doesn't like the way it comes out on their end they can tweak it
    and print again. I tell people just to send me the image straight from the
    camera. I'm not interested in hand holding anymore. So, I guess I agree with
    you 100%.

    I figure if any adjustment requires more or less than 5 points up or down in
    Photoshop, chuck the image. It's not your problem their camera sucks.

    mark_digital©, Dec 21, 2006
  12. Christopher Campbell

    nick c Guest

    Christopher Campbell wrote:
    > The thread on the Spyder got me to wondering, why calibrate your monitor at
    > all? No matter what I do, the picture on the monitor is not going to match
    > the print. The print, for one thing, is not backlit, which seems to me to be
    > a major change right there. And if I am just going to show the picture on the
    > web, I have no control over others' monitors. For all I know, skin tones on
    > others' monitors come out different shades of green.
    >
    > And, heck, if you are not doing the printing yourself, you really have no
    > control at all.

    I calibrate my monitor and my prints very closely match what I view on
    my monitor. As for what others may or may not chose to do with their
    equipment is not something for me to be concerned about. Even if others
    calibrate their monitors using whatever calibration tool they chose to
    use, that doesn't mean picture coloration seen will be the same on
    different equipment. I calibrate my monitor to a color temperature of
    6500K using Gretamacbeth (Eye-One Display 2) while someone else may
    calibrate their monitor to say 5000K, which is the norm that Spyder
    uses. As for generally correcting and printing my pic's to have them
    printed and be seen at what I think is the correct color temperature for
    scenes I photograph, be the scenes cool or warm, I haven't encountered
    any problems using 6500k as the norm for my color temperature calibration.

    My point being, The calibration I do, using the calibration tool I chose
    to use suitable to my environment, is specifically for my benefit, not
    for the benefit of others. However, if you don't calibrate your
    equipment, you would be correct in saying the prints you produce will
    not reflect what work you have done as seen on your monitor. As for the
    difference in backlight, though the print will not be backlit, by
    calibrating your equipment the print will generally resemble your
    finishing work as seen on the monitor. It works for me.

    BTW, I almost forgot to mention when calibrating equipment, you should
    also allow the calibrating tool to test and offset light being used in
    the room.

    nick c, Dec 21, 2006