Why aren't my Ulead or Nero vcd slide shows Working ????

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by -! fredg, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. -! fredg

    -! fredg Guest

    I have successfully burned vcd's that play on my samsung
    regular(forTV)DVD player using UleadMovieFactory2.

    I have NOT been able to burn successful slide shows with
    UleadPictureShow2

    I specify, vcd, and the program goes thru all the process and writes
    to a cd-r. I pop it in the tv DVD player, and the menu shows with
    correct thumbnails and all the chapters, but the chapters won't play.

    When I press play nothing happens
    When I press the fast forward key, I get a message like
    "Ulead PhotoCD"
    "VCD 2.0 Player Required"

    I am burning in VCD mode (not SVCD)

    My SamsungDVD manual specifies CD-R and CD-Video among acceptable
    formats.

    I tried the same with Nero 6.11. Same results. VCD burns fine. DVD
    Player shows photos in menu, but unable to play the slideshow, nor
    navigate the menus.

    What do I need to do to burn working slideshows???

    (I am a little confused, since Ulead MovieFactory burns and runs vcd
    Videos perfectly, but can't get a slide show to work.)

    What do I need to do to burn working slideshows???

    I must be missing some setting or such - Help Please.

    "Please Turn on PBC to Show Photos"

    Suggestions please

    -! fredg, Aug 24, 2003

  2. -! fredg

    Des Annabel Guest

    "-! fredg" <> wrote in message

    > I have successfully burned vcd's that play on my samsung
    > regular(forTV)DVD player using UleadMovieFactory2.
    >
    > I have NOT been able to burn successful slide shows with
    > UleadPictureShow2
    >
    > I specify, vcd, and the program goes thru all the process and writes
    > to a cd-r. I pop it in the tv DVD player, and the menu shows with
    > correct thumbnails and all the chapters, but the chapters won't play.
    >
    > When I press play nothing happens
    > When I press the fast forward key, I get a message like
    > "Ulead PhotoCD"
    > "VCD 2.0 Player Required"
    >
    > I am burning in VCD mode (not SVCD)
    >
    > My SamsungDVD manual specifies CD-R and CD-Video among acceptable
    > formats.
    >
    > I tried the same with Nero 6.11. Same results. VCD burns fine. DVD
    > Player shows photos in menu, but unable to play the slideshow, nor
    > navigate the menus.
    >
    > What do I need to do to burn working slideshows???
    >
    > (I am a little confused, since Ulead MovieFactory burns and runs vcd
    > Videos perfectly, but can't get a slide show to work.)
    >
    > What do I need to do to burn working slideshows???
    >
    > I must be missing some setting or such - Help Please.
    >
    > "Please Turn on PBC to Show Photos"
    >
    > Suggestions please
    >
    > When all the chapters of your VCD come up on the DVD player you need to

    press THE CHAPTER NUMBER not play ! i.e. for chapter 1 you press the
    numeral 1 on your remote control. The Chapters do not naturally follow each
    other. After you have viewed chapter 1 you need to press programme button
    to bring up the contents then press 2 on your remote control. Tricky !!!
    Regards Dessie

    Des Annabel, Aug 25, 2003

  3. -! fredg

    -! fredg Guest

    Re: Why aren't my Ulead -- ATTN: Des

    Dessie,
    THANKS - I feel so stupid, its often the simplest thing---
    simple until you know it!

    -! fredg, Aug 25, 2003
  4. -! fredg

    -! fredg Guest

    How can I convert / rip a VCD to a MPG ??

    Looking for a simple solution to convert from a burned VCD back to MPG
    format (or avi for that matter, but prefer MPG)

    I have burnt a couple of VCDs using Ulead Movie Factory, and was
    wondering how I can rip an MPG from those burnt VCDs

    PS: I do not have a DVD drive nor writer, just a regular cd-burner.

    -! fredg, Sep 10, 2003
  5. -! fredg

    -! fredg Guest

    Re: How can I convert / rip a VCD to a MPG ??

    Found the answer to my own question:
    copy the dat file from the burnt vcd back to harddrive
    rename extension from dat to mpg
    change file property from read only to archive

    -! fredg, Sep 10, 2003
  6. -! fredg

    DarkMatter Guest

    Re: How can I convert / rip a VCD to a MPG ??

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:04:04 GMT, -! fredg <>
    Gave us:

    >Looking for a simple solution to convert from a burned VCD back to MPG
    >format (or avi for that matter, but prefer MPG)
    >
    >I have burnt a couple of VCDs using Ulead Movie Factory, and was
    >wondering how I can rip an MPG from those burnt VCDs
    >
    >PS: I do not have a DVD drive nor writer, just a regular cd-burner.

    Put a vid card with a TV out in your machine, and play it back into
    a vcr. Record it. Then, play that back into the video in jack, and
    make an mpg as the format for your product. Instead of the vcr, use
    your hard drive. Hahhahahahah...

    DarkMatter, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Re: How can I convert / rip a VCD to a MPG ??

    Or just use Iso Buster and extract it....

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Sep 11, 2003
  8. -! fredg

    Will Dormann Guest

    -! fredg wrote:

    > Found the answer to my own question:
    > copy the dat file from the burnt vcd back to harddrive
    > rename extension from dat to mpg
    > change file property from read only to archive

    No, that is not the proper way to do it. A .DAT file is an MPG with
    RIFF headers. So if you rename the .DAT, you're not going to have a
    "true" MPG file.

    Use cdxa2mpeg to do a proper conversion.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Sep 11, 2003
  9. -! fredg

    Mark Hollett Guest

    Re: How can I convert / rip a VCD to a MPG ??

    use vcdgear to rip the mpg from the vcd.
    then use tmpenc plus to encode the mpg to mpg-2 then use tmpenc dvd author
    to make the tsvideo and tsaudio directories and then use dvd copy to burn
    the dvd.
    easy as pie, took about 16 hrs to encode matrix reloaded dvd rip divx to mpg
    2 on a celeron 900 and about 1/2 hour to author the dvd directory structure
    and about 1/2 hour to burn to give you an idea of the length of time.

    Mark Hollett, Sep 11, 2003
  10. -! fredg

    -! fredg Guest

    Advice on some MPEG-2 splitters please, tia

    Please recommend a few MPEG-2 video splitters.

    (DoEasier easy video splitter and Boilsoft's don't handle MPEG -2)

    -! fredg, Sep 12, 2003
  11. -! fredg

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Re: Advice on some MPEG-2 splitters please, tia

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:27:18 GMT, -! fredg <> wrote:

    >Please recommend a few MPEG-2 video splitters.

    <http://www.dvdrhelp.com/edit#18>

    I prefer M2-Edit Pro. Unfortunately, it is one of the most expensive ones
    listed.

    Nomen Nescio, Sep 13, 2003
  12. -! fredg

    Clive Savage Guest

    wrote:

    >Please recommend a few MPEG-2 video splitters.
    >
    >(DoEasier easy video splitter and Boilsoft's don't handle MPEG -2)

    M2-Edit

    Bye for now.

    Clive.

    Clive Savage, Sep 13, 2003
  13. Re: Advice on some MPEG-2 splitters please, tia

    Mpeg Tools in TMPGenc has some excellent features.

    Colon Terminus, Sep 13, 2003
  14. -! fredg

    Pond Scum Guest

    -! fredg <> writes:
    >Please recommend a few MPEG-2 video splitters.

    I'm assuming that you want programs that will allow you cut cut clips out
    of MPEG-2 files, not demux them.

    MPEG2Cut handles some files that no other program I've tried could handle.

    http://darkav.de.vu

    -Jonathan

    Pond Scum, Sep 14, 2003
  15. -! fredg

    -! fredg Guest

    Any Software for burning VCDs and SVCDs Without a dvd burner - just cd burner

    I do not have a DVD burner
    I do have a cd burner

    I do not have windowsXP
    I do have windows 98se

    I do not have a fast computer
    I do have a 500mhz 10gigHD 4 yo Pavilion 6460

    I do have a 17 inch monitor, but I prefer to keep the resolution at
    800x600 - not the higher resolutions required by Nero and some others.

    With these facts in mind: Please recommend some good vcd and svcd
    burning software that works with cd burners (do not require dvd
    burners)

    So far, the best success I've had is Ulead Movie Studio, except for
    one nagging problem - at the end of the process it says drive not
    found (although it does successfully burn mpegs to the cd-r and does
    play successfully on my Samsung DVD player). After which, my computer
    crashes when I try to restart it - something to do with Ulead Movie
    Studio not finding the type of drive it really wants.

    So, Please recommend vcd svcd burning software, full blown or small
    useful shareware, that works well with my type of system.

    PS: It would be nice if it had convertors and all, but I have good
    standalone shareware type programs to handle all the format
    conversions / splitting / and joining.

    TIA

    -! fredg, Sep 15, 2003
  16. Re: Any Software for burning VCDs and SVCDs Without a dvd burner - just cd burner

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:08:13 GMT, -! fredg <>
    wrote:

    >I do not have a DVD burner
    >I do have a cd burner
    >
    >I do not have windowsXP
    >I do have windows 98se
    >
    >I do not have a fast computer
    >I do have a 500mhz 10gigHD 4 yo Pavilion 6460
    >
    >I do have a 17 inch monitor, but I prefer to keep the resolution at
    >800x600 - not the higher resolutions required by Nero and some others.
    >
    >With these facts in mind: Please recommend some good vcd and svcd
    >burning software that works with cd burners (do not require dvd
    >burners)
    >
    >So far, the best success I've had is Ulead Movie Studio, except for
    >one nagging problem - at the end of the process it says drive not
    >found (although it does successfully burn mpegs to the cd-r and does
    >play successfully on my Samsung DVD player). After which, my computer
    >crashes when I try to restart it - something to do with Ulead Movie
    >Studio not finding the type of drive it really wants.
    >
    >So, Please recommend vcd svcd burning software, full blown or small
    >useful shareware, that works well with my type of system.
    >
    >PS: It would be nice if it had convertors and all, but I have good
    >standalone shareware type programs to handle all the format
    >conversions / splitting / and joining.

    VCDeasy

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 15, 2003
  17. Re: Any Software for burning VCDs and SVCDs Without a dvd burner - just cd burner

    In article <>,
    -! fredg <> wrote:

    > I do not have a DVD burner
    > I do have a cd burner
    >
    > I do not have windowsXP
    > I do have windows 98se
    >
    > I do not have a fast computer
    > I do have a 500mhz 10gigHD 4 yo Pavilion 6460
    >
    > I do have a 17 inch monitor, but I prefer to keep the resolution at
    > 800x600 - not the higher resolutions required by Nero and some others.
    >
    > With these facts in mind: Please recommend some good vcd and svcd
    > burning software that works with cd burners (do not require dvd
    > burners)
    >
    > So far, the best success I've had is Ulead Movie Studio, except for
    > one nagging problem - at the end of the process it says drive not
    > found (although it does successfully burn mpegs to the cd-r and does
    > play successfully on my Samsung DVD player). After which, my computer
    > crashes when I try to restart it - something to do with Ulead Movie
    > Studio not finding the type of drive it really wants.
    >
    > So, Please recommend vcd svcd burning software, full blown or small
    > useful shareware, that works well with my type of system.
    >
    > PS: It would be nice if it had convertors and all, but I have good
    > standalone shareware type programs to handle all the format
    > conversions / splitting / and joining.

    Is there actually software that requires a DVD burner to make VCDs and
    SVCDs?

    Since these are recorded on CD-R or CD-RW media, why would a DVD burner
    be required?

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:>

    Gordon B. Alley, Sep 15, 2003
  18. -! fredg

    Lily Guest

    Re: Any Software for burning VCDs and SVCDs Without a dvd burner - just cd burner

    Hello,
    Maybe you can try WinCopyDVD, http://www.wincopydvd.com, it can copy
    your DVD to VCD/SVCD in 30 minutes, without requiring any expensive DVD burner.

    Lily, Sep 15, 2003
  19. -! fredg

    Samuel Paik Guest

    fredg <> wrote:
    > I do not have a DVD burner
    > I do have a cd burner
    >
    > I do not have windowsXP
    > I do have windows 98se
    >
    > I do not have a fast computer
    > I do have a 500mhz 10gigHD 4 yo Pavilion 6460
    >
    > I do have a 17 inch monitor, but I prefer to keep the resolution at
    > 800x600 - not the higher resolutions required by Nero and some others.
    >
    > With these facts in mind: Please recommend some good vcd and svcd
    > burning software that works with cd burners (do not require dvd
    > burners)

    Pretty much any VCD or SVCD software will burn VCD or SVCD
    using a CD burner, after all, VCD and SVCD are CD based formats.

    What may be misleading you is that many of these packages have
    DVD in the title. They don't have any difficulty with VCD or
    SVCD on a CD burner.

    > So far, the best success I've had is Ulead Movie Studio, except for
    > one nagging problem - at the end of the process it says drive not
    > found (although it does successfully burn mpegs to the cd-r and does
    > play successfully on my Samsung DVD player). After which, my computer
    > crashes when I try to restart it - something to do with Ulead Movie
    > Studio not finding the type of drive it really wants.

    I was going to suggest Ulead DVD MovieFactory2, for a basic package.
    If you are having crashes, there's something wrong with your system
    or you may have run into an obscure DMF bug--I have successfully
    burned VCD and SVCD on a CD recorder.

    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Sep 15, 2003
  20. -! fredg

    M.L. Guest

    Re: Advice on some MPEG-2 splitters please, tia

    >Please recommend a few MPEG-2 video splitters.
    >
    >(DoEasier easy video splitter and Boilsoft's don't handle MPEG -2)

    According to the Help file, EasyVideoSplitter 2.01 does handle mpeg2
    files.

    M.L., Sep 16, 2003