why are we still putting up with Prometric test crashes?

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by Oliver, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    Prometric as to the status of my test.

    A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    second portion (simulation exercises).

    That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two crashes they've
    ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming that
    since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just haven't
    been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).

    From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    motivation to improve.

    The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.
    Oliver, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Oliver

    John R Guest

    "Oliver" <> wrote in message

    > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    Good luck with that.

    John R
    John R, Jun 26, 2008

  3. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    On Jun 25, 10:16 pm, "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:
    > "Oliver" <> wrote in message

    > > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    > Good luck with that.
    >
    > John R

    How hard is it to do this? Can't be that hard. I'll bet a three
    month moratorium on taking MS certs would dry up Prometric's cashflow
    without seriously impacting anyone's career. And it's not hard to
    explain to an employer that you'll take that cert test when Prometric
    makes it viable.

    All I'm saying is - let's stop paying them until they do their job.
    That seems to be the bottom line everywhere else in the business world.
    Oliver, Jun 26, 2008
  4. "Oliver" <> wrote in message

    > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    > Prometric as to the status of my test.
    >
    > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    > second portion (simulation exercises).
    >
    > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two crashes they've
    > ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming that
    > since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just haven't
    > been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
    >
    > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    > motivation to improve.
    >
    > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    Perhaps the facility is not meeting the required hardware specifications
    to run exams.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
    The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

    6/25/2008 4:13 PM
    Michael D. Alligood, Jun 26, 2008
  5. Oliver

    John R Guest

    "Oliver" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 25, 10:16 pm, "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:
    >> "Oliver" <> wrote in message

    >> > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    >> > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    >> Good luck with that.
    >>
    >> John R

    > How hard is it to do this? Can't be that hard. I'll bet a three
    > month moratorium on taking MS certs would dry up Prometric's cashflow
    > without seriously impacting anyone's career. And it's not hard to
    > explain to an employer that you'll take that cert test when Prometric
    > makes it viable.
    >
    > All I'm saying is - let's stop paying them until they do their job.
    > That seems to be the bottom line everywhere else in the business world.

    I am certainly not a Prometric fan. In fact, I have never used them. All
    of the tests that I have taken so far have been through Pearson/VUE.
    However, the fact remains that thousands of people world wide take tests
    every day through Prometric. And, while some may have had problems, you
    have to conceed that the error rate is less than 1%, probably less than
    ..01%. For the one or two people who post here about problems compared to
    the quantity of tests that they provide, I can't think of anyone who will
    put aside their personal goals (or professional requirements) to provide
    support to your cause (worthy though it may be). I am currently studying
    for my next series of tests and I'll tell you what, when I am ready, I will
    take the tests and hope that I don't run into the same issues, not wait
    around a few months because less than .01% are having difficulties.

    I understand your frustration, and it would certainly seem warranted.
    However, I stand by my original statement.

    Good luck to you, I hope you get it worked out.

    John R
    John R, Jun 26, 2008
  6. "Michael D. Alligood" <> wrote in message

    > "Oliver" <> wrote in message

    > Perhaps the facility is not meeting the required hardware specifications
    > to run exams.

    While I'm certainly not opposed to considering this as a possibility...

    It also occurs to me that perhaps Prometric is using the same 16-bit testing
    engine (perhaps recompiled in a 32-bit compiler), that they've been using
    since we were all taking tests on NT Workstation-based exam stations.

    In fact, it could well be the 16-bit code that's the primary culprit!

    Although, I'm much more inclined to think that they've simply overloaded
    their resources, given that they're now handling all of the MS testing that
    used to be processed through Pearson/Vue.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, Jun 27, 2008
  7. "Lawrence Garvin" <> wrote in message

    > > "Oliver" <> wrote in message

    > > Perhaps the facility is not meeting the required hardware specifications
    > > to run exams.

    > While I'm certainly not opposed to considering this as a possibility...
    >
    > It also occurs to me that perhaps Prometric is using the same 16-bit testing
    > engine (perhaps recompiled in a 32-bit compiler), that they've been using
    > since we were all taking tests on NT Workstation-based exam stations.
    >
    > In fact, it could well be the 16-bit code that's the primary culprit!
    >
    > Although, I'm much more inclined to think that they've simply overloaded
    > their resources, given that they're now handling all of the MS testing that
    > used to be processed through Pearson/Vue.

    > Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas

    > http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Ready, Fire, Aim...

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
    The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

    6/26/2008 11:20 AM
    Michael D. Alligood, Jun 27, 2008
  8. The testing software!!! Too old and since they are now monopoly, there is no
    need to get a better and newer testing software. Sorry I share your feelings.

    Augustine Adu Asare, Jun 27, 2008
  9. I just want to add my opinion. During the past 10 years that I have been
    taking exams I have had nothing but bad experiences with Prometric on both
    Microsoft and Apple exams. I don't understand why Microsoft and Apple
    switched to Prometric as the exclusive exam provider cutting out VUE. IMO VUE
    was so much better.
    --
    Andrew

    Andrew the Vegan, Aug 20, 2008
  10. Oliver

    Shanna Guest

    Oh dear. I'd really hoped my experience was just a fluke, since the testing
    center was running fairly old hardware. The 70-620 crashed twice after the
    first question, but after I was moved to a new workstation I made it through.
    It was kind of amusing to have to convince the convince technician that the
    error message was not a test simulation.

    Microsoft must know this happens, right? I assume someone reads the reviews
    we write after the tests...

    Shanna, Sep 29, 2008
  11. Oliver

    Chris Redick Guest

    Well I understand your Pain I had the fun of taking the 70 - 291 and I went
    through 2 computers and 3 one finger restarts and at least 8 other soft
    restarts. I would like to suggest that the only real responce to this would
    be a class action lawsuit . The potential damages of their poor service could
    change the economic potental of our lives ... roflmao... but yes a couple
    hundred million might make them wake up and smell the smoke pouring out of my
    ears. I have had these problems at several facilities and "they" claim it is
    only the microsoft tests ... doesnt matter it is costing me time effort
    money and god knows what potential earnings. Count me it on forcing a
    solution . by the way the testing facility gets like five dollars per test
    of your 125...

    Chris Redick, Oct 11, 2008