why are we still putting up with Prometric test crashes?

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Oliver, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    notice: cross-posted on purpose
    !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
    raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem

    Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    Prometric as to the status of my test.

    A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.

    That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
    they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
    that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
    haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).

    From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    motivation to improve.

    The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.
     
    Oliver, Jun 24, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Speaking of Prometrics crap and all... thier scheduling stinks. I can find
    openings for 4 hour long exams all over the place, but not a single opening
    for a 2 hour one in a 3 state radius!
    "Oliver" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > notice: cross-posted on purpose
    > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
    > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
    >
    > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    > Prometric as to the status of my test.
    >
    > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
    >
    > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
    > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
    > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
    > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
    >
    > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    > motivation to improve.
    >
    > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.
     
    Matthew Whetzel, Jun 25, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    On Jun 24, 3:04 pm, Oliver <> wrote:
    > notice: cross-posted on purpose
    > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
    > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
    >
    > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    > Prometric as to the status of my test.
    >
    > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
    >
    > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
    > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
    > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
    > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
    >
    > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    > motivation to improve.
    >
    > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.


    I've been on the phone with Prometric this morning, and they know that
    this exam is a big problem. Funny thing is, it's been a problem for
    about a year. How long does it really need to take to fix this one
    exam?
     
    Oliver, Jun 25, 2008
    #3
  4. Oliver

    Marc Guest

    "Oliver" <> wrote in

    > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > completely and irrevocably.


    OMG! And that after preparing the test for, how long? That must have been
    frustrating for you! My sympathy!
     
    Marc, Jun 25, 2008
    #4
  5. Oliver

    Oliver Guest

    On Jun 25, 10:22 am, "Marc" <m,> wrote:
    > "Oliver" <> wrote in
    >
    > > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > > completely and irrevocably.

    >
    > OMG! And that after preparing the test for, how long? That must have been
    > frustrating for you! My sympathy!



    Thanks. The fellow who tried to take the test right after me also
    experienced a complete crash of the Prometric testing application.

    While it is indeed frustrating to study so much, and then to have to
    go back and hope to make it through .. sort of distracting when I'm
    trying to answer difficult questions.

    That's why it seems to me that all IT professionals need to simply
    stop taking certs for a couple of months, until Prometric resolves
    this issue. I don't want to put an economic hurt on Prometric, but
    since they've already let this problem go for about a year, what other
    choice is there?

    Down with certs until 70-431 is fixed!

    And Microsoft, how about bringing Pearson VUE back? Nothing like a
    little competition to keep things good for all concerned.
     
    Oliver, Jun 25, 2008
    #5
  6. Oliver

    texoma Guest

    Well folks welcome to the prometric crash site. Today tried to take a server
    test, guess what none of the simulations worked site tried to restart,
    nothing worked. Lets work to bring back VUE.

    "Matthew Whetzel" wrote:

    > Speaking of Prometrics crap and all... thier scheduling stinks. I can find
    > openings for 4 hour long exams all over the place, but not a single opening
    > for a 2 hour one in a 3 state radius!
    > "Oliver" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > notice: cross-posted on purpose
    > > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
    > > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
    > >
    > > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    > > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    > > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    > > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    > > Prometric as to the status of my test.
    > >
    > > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    > > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    > > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
    > >
    > > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    > > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
    > > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
    > > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
    > > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
    > >
    > > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    > > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    > > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    > > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    > > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    > > motivation to improve.
    > >
    > > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    >
     
    texoma, Jun 30, 2008
    #6
  7. Oliver

    Slammer Guest

    I totally agree there is a serious problem with the testing system.
    I tried to write my exam (70-290) last week Thursday. First of all I had to
    wait 2 hours before I was able to start. Then after answering all the
    multiple choice questions, I wanted to start with the simulation questions
    just to find out they were not working. Eventually the testing station called
    the helpdesk at Prometric - they ended my session, instead of trying to fix
    it and they lost my paper.
    I was then told I had to rewrite it. I was not impressed at all. I insisted
    I wanted to rewrite it that afternoon only to be told it is against the
    rules. Pathetic.
    Then I was assured by prometric that I can rewrite it at 10am the next
    morning.
    Nowhere during the conversation with prometric did they apologize for the
    inconvenience and admit there was a problem with their system. The next day,
    I arrive at the testing station at 9h30. there was a problem with their
    system again. After waiting patiently and totally cheesed off, I only started
    the exam 4 hours later. Other candidates that were waiting to write postponed
    their exam to another date.
    I think there is a serious problem in general with ALL exams being written
    from prometric and I hope they fix it soon. I cannot believe that Microsoft
    is keeping quiet or using them as the provider. It is totally unacceptable.
    I had to waste 2 days for a 2 hour or so exam paper.
    I hope my experience with the next paper will not be the same.




    "Oliver" wrote:

    > On Jun 24, 3:04 pm, Oliver <> wrote:
    > > notice: cross-posted on purpose
    > > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
    > > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
    > >
    > > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    > > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    > > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    > > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    > > Prometric as to the status of my test.
    > >
    > > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    > > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    > > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
    > >
    > > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    > > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
    > > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
    > > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
    > > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
    > >
    > > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    > > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    > > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    > > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    > > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    > > motivation to improve.
    > >
    > > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    >
    > I've been on the phone with Prometric this morning, and they know that
    > this exam is a big problem. Funny thing is, it's been a problem for
    > about a year. How long does it really need to take to fix this one
    > exam?
    >
     
    Slammer, Jul 2, 2008
    #7
  8. Oliver

    rafi Guest

    I have taken the 70-294 twice in the last month. Both times, the simulations
    were not working, and I failed. The test center said that it's a "known
    problem" and that it's been happening "randomly". When I contacted Prometric,
    they said they didn't know anything about it, and that they could reschedule
    my exam or give me a refund. WTF? This is getting old....


    "texoma" wrote:

    > Well folks welcome to the prometric crash site. Today tried to take a server
    > test, guess what none of the simulations worked site tried to restart,
    > nothing worked. Lets work to bring back VUE.
    >
    > "Matthew Whetzel" wrote:
    >
    > > Speaking of Prometrics crap and all... thier scheduling stinks. I can find
    > > openings for 4 hour long exams all over the place, but not a single opening
    > > for a 2 hour one in a 3 state radius!
    > > "Oliver" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > notice: cross-posted on purpose
    > > > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
    > > > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
    > > >
    > > > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
    > > > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
    > > > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
    > > > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
    > > > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
    > > > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
    > > > Prometric as to the status of my test.
    > > >
    > > > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
    > > > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
    > > > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
    > > >
    > > > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
    > > > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
    > > > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
    > > > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
    > > > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
    > > >
    > > > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
    > > > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
    > > > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
    > > > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
    > > > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
    > > > motivation to improve.
    > > >
    > > > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
    > > > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

    > >
     
    rafi, Jul 2, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest

    test test test test test test test

    Guest, Jul 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    969
    halfalifer
    Jul 2, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?R3Vlbm5hZGkgVmFuaW5l?=

    Prometric sends to MS, MS to Prometric, what to do?

    =?Utf-8?B?R3Vlbm5hZGkgVmFuaW5l?=, Sep 11, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,643
    =?Utf-8?B?R3Vlbm5hZGkgVmFuaW5l?=
    Sep 11, 2007
  3. J.W.C
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    565
  4. W
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,130
    Scotech
    May 29, 2006
  5. Oliver
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,677
    Chris Redick
    Oct 11, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page