    Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
    for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

    Fire3Sky

    Fire3Sky, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Fire3Sky

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    >Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
    >Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
    >for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

    People using their gift certificates, return reciepts, etc. The day after
    Christmas is a pretty big shopping day for those reasons alone.

    Metlhd3138, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Fire3Sky

    Richard C. Guest

    "Fire3Sky" <> wrote in message
    > Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City,
    > Twilight
    > Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business
    > reason
    > for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?
    >
    > Fire3Sky

    ===============================
    I don't understand.
    You think they should stop releasing new items after Christmas?
    At what point do you think they should start releasing them?.....July 4th?

    Richard C., Dec 9, 2004
  4. Fire3Sky <> wrote:
    : Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
    : Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
    : for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

    : Fire3Sky

    December 28 is a tuesday, the day which all new dvd's are typically
    released... The studios aren't intentionally trying to release new titles
    a few days after X-mas, although I'm sure it's nice that this tuesday
    happens to be almost after X-mas day.

    Brian M Briones, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Fire3Sky

    John Doe Guest

    Re: Why are some DVD's released Dec. 28 (after the holiday shoppingseason)

    It will be good for people with gift cards and gift certificates.

    John

    John Doe, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Fire3Sky

    Bret81C Guest

    because they are stupid and think the after christmas market will produce more
    sales

    Bret81C, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Fire3Sky

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Bret81C
    <> wrote:

    > because they are stupid and think the after christmas market will produce more
    > sales

    Or they know that there's not enough shelf space in stores for those
    titles pre-Christmas, maybe they can't get them pressed before then,
    it's an open week where they can dump titles they don't want to bother
    promoting, etc.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Fire3Sky

    Justin Guest

    Invid Fan wrote on [Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:57:50 -0500]:
    > In article <>, Bret81C
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> because they are stupid and think the after christmas market will produce more
    >> sales

    > Or they know that there's not enough shelf space in stores for those
    > titles pre-Christmas, maybe they can't get them pressed before then,
    > it's an open week where they can dump titles they don't want to bother
    > promoting, etc.

    If someone wants a movie they will eventually get it, whether it's
    released before or after xmas.

    Justin, Dec 12, 2004
  9. Fire3Sky

    jayembee Guest

    (Fire3Sky) wrote:

    > Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
    > Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
    > for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

    They have to release *something*, and it's easier to release them
    after Christmas than to overcrowd the releases on the three Tuesdays
    before Christmas. This past week was a killer for me. I wish some of
    the releases this week had been put off until the 28th.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 13, 2004