    cost?
    Yet people put most stock into that intial price. Fools.

    http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2012/...biggest-electronics-stores.html#comment-72901

    RichA, Mar 9, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >What DIFFERENCE does an intial investment of $200 or $500 make? It's
    >like a speeding ticket. The initial cost is nothing, it's cost of
    >airtime (insurance, in the case of the ticket) that is by FAR the
    >major consideration. Over three years of use, what is the total
    >cost?
    >Yet people put most stock into that intial price. Fools.
    >
    >http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2012/...biggest-electronics-stores.html#comment-72901

    You have a valid point, but it applies almost regardless of tablet
    brand, at least here in Europe. Whether you buy a "new iPad", a
    Playbook or any of the Android tablets, you still have to shop around
    between the networks for the best deal on airtime.

    Bruce, Mar 9, 2012

  3. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > What DIFFERENCE does an intial investment of $200 or $500 make? It's
    > like a speeding ticket. The initial cost is nothing, it's cost of
    > airtime (insurance, in the case of the ticket) that is by FAR the
    > major consideration. Over three years of use, what is the total
    > cost?
    > Yet people put most stock into that intial price. Fools.

    the only fool is you. airtime for the ipad is *optional*. it is not
    required. it's pay as you go and can be activated when needed and
    deactivated when not. some people even buy the wifi-only ipad because
    they always are near wifi and don't need 3g at all.

    nospam, Mar 9, 2012
  4. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <2012030909314837709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > I notice that report is dated March 4, three days before the iPad 3
    > announcement.
    > I know that it might be premature to write an obituary for RIM, but
    > these sales are obviously due to a shortage of iPads 1&2 prior to the
    > rush to the new iPad on March 16.

    it may be premature for rim's obituary but they're not far from it and
    it doesn't look like they are turning things around.

    also, there was no shortage of ipads. it's that people knew something
    was coming and decided to wait.

    > I have a suspicion that all those loyal Canadian RIM supporters will be
    > buying a new iPad long before their new BB Playbook gets stale in their
    > hands.

    the playbook shipped stale. who creates a tablet that doesn't have
    email? at least they added that in version 2.0 of the software.

    nospam, Mar 9, 2012
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Why are people so stupid? (dueling tablets)

    On Mar 9, 12:44 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > > What DIFFERENCE does an intial investment of $200 or $500 make?  It's
    > > like a speeding ticket.  The initial cost is nothing, it's cost of
    > > airtime (insurance, in the case of the ticket) that is by FAR the
    > > major consideration.  Over  three  years of use, what is the total
    > > cost?
    > > Yet people put most stock into that intial price.  Fools.

    > the only fool is you. airtime for the ipad is *optional*. it is not
    > required. it's pay as you go and can be activated when needed and
    > deactivated when not. some people even buy the wifi-only ipad because
    > they always are near wifi and don't need 3g at all.

    That's very convenient for them. Whatever few percent that represents
    amongst pad owners.

    RichA, Mar 9, 2012
  6. RichA

    nospam Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    > > > What DIFFERENCE does an intial investment of $200 or $500 make?  It's
    > > > like a speeding ticket.  The initial cost is nothing, it's cost of
    > > > airtime (insurance, in the case of the ticket) that is by FAR the
    > > > major consideration.  Over  three  years of use, what is the total
    > > > cost?
    > > > Yet people put most stock into that intial price.  Fools.

    > > the only fool is you. airtime for the ipad is *optional*. it is not
    > > required. it's pay as you go and can be activated when needed and
    > > deactivated when not. some people even buy the wifi-only ipad because
    > > they always are near wifi and don't need 3g at all.

    > That's very convenient for them. Whatever few percent that represents
    > amongst pad owners.

    talking out your ass again.

    it turns out that the number of people who activate 3g on an ipad is
    extremely low. unlike phones, people use tablets at home, at work,
    etc., where wifi is almost guaranteed.

    many people get the 3g version 'just in case' they might need it one
    day, say for a vacation trip, and not need it the rest of the time. the
    3g ipad also includes a gps, so some people get the 3g version for
    that, not because of 3g.

    nospam, Mar 9, 2012
  7. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 10/03/2012 8:51 a.m., nospam wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    >>> the only fool is you. airtime for the ipad is *optional*. it is not
    >>> required. it's pay as you go and can be activated when needed and
    >>> deactivated when not. some people even buy the wifi-only ipad because
    >>> they always are near wifi and don't need 3g at all.

    >> That's very convenient for them. Whatever few percent that represents
    >> amongst pad owners.

    > talking out your ass again.
    >
    > it turns out that the number of people who activate 3g on an ipad is
    > extremely low. unlike phones, people use tablets at home, at work,
    > etc., where wifi is almost guaranteed.
    >
    > many people get the 3g version 'just in case' they might need it one
    > day, say for a vacation trip, and not need it the rest of the time. the
    > 3g ipad also includes a gps, so some people get the 3g version for
    > that, not because of 3g.

    With android tablets - not sure about i-pad - with GPS you still don't
    need 3g:
    Google maps allows you to pre-cache 10 square mile blocks. (a problem
    with this is you still need to connect to google to search or to plan a
    route)
    There's apps like Sygic, Navit, but they're not free. Sygic seems to be
    excellent, uses Tomtom maps, good interface, and much faster /
    responsive on a dual core tablet than dedicated GPS.
    GPS functionality can be compromised by design on some tablets. Apple
    had the sense to put a plastic window over the antenna on the iPad.
    Asus glitched the transformer prime (new model) GPS reception is so poor
    with metal case shrouding the antenna that Asus have removed GPS from
    the sales specifications. So there's a GPS chip etc inside, but
    officially no GPS.

    Me, Mar 9, 2012
  8. RichA

    nospam Guest

    Re: Why are people so stupid? (dueling tablets)

    In article <jjdtr3$lpc$>, Me <>
    wrote:

    > >> That's very convenient for them. Whatever few percent that represents
    > >> amongst pad owners.

    > > talking out your ass again.
    > >
    > > it turns out that the number of people who activate 3g on an ipad is
    > > extremely low. unlike phones, people use tablets at home, at work,
    > > etc., where wifi is almost guaranteed.
    > >
    > > many people get the 3g version 'just in case' they might need it one
    > > day, say for a vacation trip, and not need it the rest of the time. the
    > > 3g ipad also includes a gps, so some people get the 3g version for
    > > that, not because of 3g.

    > With android tablets - not sure about i-pad - with GPS you still don't
    > need 3g:
    > Google maps allows you to pre-cache 10 square mile blocks. (a problem
    > with this is you still need to connect to google to search or to plan a
    > route)

    the gps does not require 3g to work. it will use 3g to get a faster fix
    if available (assisted gps), even if it's not activated.

    however, to get the gps, you have to buy the 3g ipad, whether or not
    you want to use 3g. that's part of the reason there's a low activation
    rate. people want the gps.

    > There's apps like Sygic, Navit, but they're not free. Sygic seems to be
    > excellent, uses Tomtom maps, good interface, and much faster /
    > responsive on a dual core tablet than dedicated GPS.

    there are plenty of apps with preloaded maps or ones that can be
    downloaded at home over wifi and used later when there's no connection.
    at least one is free.

    > GPS functionality can be compromised by design on some tablets. Apple
    > had the sense to put a plastic window over the antenna on the iPad.
    > Asus glitched the transformer prime (new model) GPS reception is so poor
    > with metal case shrouding the antenna that Asus have removed GPS from
    > the sales specifications. So there's a GPS chip etc inside, but
    > officially no GPS.

    how amusing. notice nobody complains about a bad antenna design on the
    asus. bunch of fucking hypocrites.

    nospam, Mar 9, 2012
  9. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > >> I notice that report is dated March 4, three days before the iPad 3
    > >> announcement.
    > >> I know that it might be premature to write an obituary for RIM, but
    > >> these sales are obviously due to a shortage of iPads 1&2 prior to the
    > >> rush to the new iPad on March 16.

    > > it may be premature for rim's obituary but they're not far from it and
    > > it doesn't look like they are turning things around.

    > They are far from it.

    actually they are not far at all.

    <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-02/rim-stock-falls-below-book-val
    ue-as-blackberry-s-u-s-market-share-shrinks.html>

    > Many corporations depend on Blackberry's for
    > secure communication and have invested in it for the longer term. It is
    > eroding, to be sure, but the business won't suddenly evaporate.

    nobody said it would suddenly evaporate. the fact is that companies are
    switching away from blackberry in increasing numbers. market share is
    dropping.

    > RIM have to repeat their success of innovation (as they did with the
    > Blackberry) and not try to be second. Esp. w/o the e-mail that made the
    > BB such a raging success in the first place.

    android and ios are far too entrenched. for the company to turn around,
    a miracle needs to happen, which isn't that likely.

    > RIM has their new CEO. Time will tell.

    the only thing it will tell is how hard they fall.

    nospam, Mar 9, 2012
  10. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 10/03/2012 12:08 p.m., nospam wrote:

    >>> talking out your ass again.
    >>>
    >>> it turns out that the number of people who activate 3g on an ipad is
    >>> extremely low. unlike phones, people use tablets at home, at work,
    >>> etc., where wifi is almost guaranteed.
    >>>
    >>> many people get the 3g version 'just in case' they might need it one
    >>> day, say for a vacation trip, and not need it the rest of the time. the
    >>> 3g ipad also includes a gps, so some people get the 3g version for
    >>> that, not because of 3g.

    >> With android tablets - not sure about i-pad - with GPS you still don't
    >> need 3g:
    >> Google maps allows you to pre-cache 10 square mile blocks. (a problem
    >> with this is you still need to connect to google to search or to plan a
    >> route)

    > the gps does not require 3g to work. it will use 3g to get a faster fix
    > if available (assisted gps), even if it's not activated.
    >
    > however, to get the gps, you have to buy the 3g ipad, whether or not
    > you want to use 3g. that's part of the reason there's a low activation
    > rate. people want the gps.

    Yep. The Android tablet I've got here acquires GPS signal/location fix
    very quickly though, even without the "a" from aGPS active. The hardware
    chipset is apparently the same as used in the iPad, so I'd assume that
    an IPad GPS would work pretty well without 3g connected.

    >> There's apps like Sygic, Navit, but they're not free. Sygic seems to be
    >> excellent, uses Tomtom maps, good interface, and much faster /
    >> responsive on a dual core tablet than dedicated GPS.

    > there are plenty of apps with preloaded maps or ones that can be
    > downloaded at home over wifi and used later when there's no connection.
    > at least one is free.

    Probably depends which maps you want/need. The only apps I could find
    with free maps for my area were useless - very very slow to render maps
    on screen, and/or incomplete outdated road maps.

    >> GPS functionality can be compromised by design on some tablets. Apple
    >> had the sense to put a plastic window over the antenna on the iPad.
    >> Asus glitched the transformer prime (new model) GPS reception is so poor
    >> with metal case shrouding the antenna that Asus have removed GPS from
    >> the sales specifications. So there's a GPS chip etc inside, but
    >> officially no GPS.

    > how amusing. notice nobody complains about a bad antenna design on the
    > asus. bunch of fucking hypocrites.

    Yes, but it works both ways. For some obscure reason, the new Ipad
    announcement was front page news in printed newspapers and web news
    sites. There certainly are complaints about the Asus gps, but not on the
    front pages of worldwide media.

    Me, Mar 9, 2012
  11. RichA

    nospam Guest

    Re: Why are people so stupid? (dueling tablets)

    In article <jje3ur$3id$>, Me <>
    wrote:

    > >> There's apps like Sygic, Navit, but they're not free. Sygic seems to be
    > >> excellent, uses Tomtom maps, good interface, and much faster /
    > >> responsive on a dual core tablet than dedicated GPS.

    > > there are plenty of apps with preloaded maps or ones that can be
    > > downloaded at home over wifi and used later when there's no connection.
    > > at least one is free.

    > Probably depends which maps you want/need. The only apps I could find
    > with free maps for my area were useless - very very slow to render maps
    > on screen, and/or incomplete outdated road maps.

    depends on the app. i've had good luck with the freebies.

    nospam, Mar 9, 2012
  12. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > >> Many corporations depend on Blackberry's for
    > >> secure communication and have invested in it for the longer term. It is
    > >> eroding, to be sure, but the business won't suddenly evaporate.

    > > nobody said it would suddenly evaporate. the fact is that companies are
    > > switching away from blackberry in increasing numbers. market share is
    > > dropping.

    > Market share loss is in new sales of devices. RIM make a lot of their
    > money from network operations. This is a base that will help support
    > them while they try to turn around. No guarantee - but they aren't in
    > the same ugly position as Nokia in this respect.

    the longer they take the further behind they become. it's not over yet
    but they need a miracle and that isn't likely to happen.

    nospam, Mar 10, 2012
  13. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > > it's not over yet
    > > but they need a miracle and that isn't likely to happen.

    > It's not a miracle they need. It's a business plan and innovation.

    they need a miracle. android and ios are the dominant platforms and are
    well of anything rim could do, short of a miracle.

    nospam, Mar 10, 2012
  14. RichA

    nospam Guest

    Re: Why are people so stupid? (dueling tablets)

    In article <>, Rich
    <> wrote:

    > Then WHY is Apple promoting 4G as being so important?

    why is everyone promoting 4g as being important?

    android phones are pushing 4g a lot harder than apple.

    you really haven't a clue.

    nospam, Mar 11, 2012
  15. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Re: Why are people so stupid? (dueling tablets)

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 00:51:29 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-03-10 20:47:18 -0800, Rich <> said:
    >
    >> nospam <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,

    >>> talking out your ass again.
    >>>
    >>> it turns out that the number of people who activate 3g on an ipad is
    >>> extremely low. unlike phones, people use tablets at home, at work,
    >>> etc., where wifi is almost guaranteed.
    >>>
    >>> many people get the 3g version 'just in case' they might need it one
    >>> day, say for a vacation trip, and not need it the rest of the time.
    >>> the 3g ipad also includes a gps, so some people get the 3g version for
    >>> that, not because of 3g.
    >>>

    >> Then WHY is Apple promoting 4G as being so important?

    >Apple isn't promoting 4G as being so important. They are promoting it
    >as a new feature of this release of the iPad. This also Apple's first
    >4G capable device, and naturally it retains its 3G capability. So they
    >will likely promote it as a feature to be found in the next iPhone.
    >
    >For all Apple could care you could buy a WiFi only unit and never use 4G.
    >Also neither ATT or Verizon is locking iPad buyers into any extended
    >data plan, both offer a "pay as needed" plan. Which means that with the
    >exception of road warriors, and those with no access to WiFi at home or
    >elsewhere, most iPad usage is going to be via WiFi.
    >
    >I don't know what the Canadian cell service providers are saying in
    >their advertising, but it is the US carriers selling both Android and
    >iOS devices who are pushing the "importance" of 4G. They use 4G as a
    >big selling point for Android devices, even though 4G coverage is
    >currently limited to the major market areas.

    I don't see why promoting 4G to a market that may not use 4G is
    particularly surprising. Advertisers often promote product features
    that the buyers will never use. Many buyers are influenced by the
    thought that they simply must have the latest feature even if they
    don't understand the feature or have any idea of how to use it.

    Look at the camera advertisements. People buy a camera because it has
    multiple focus points and then point the camera in the general
    direction of the subject and push the button. They look at ads that
    list all of the special functions and settings, think they need that
    camera, and then set the camera to "A" and never change it.

    I just switched providers for internet service. The rep went on and
    on about their "blazing download speed" and ignored my lack of
    interest. (My other provider's download speed was sufficient, and I
    doubt if I'll see any difference) I switched because the bundled
    price was better.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Mar 11, 2012
  16. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >nospam <> wrote in

    >>> That's very convenient for them. Whatever few percent that
    >>> represents amongst pad owners.

    >> talking out your ass again.
    >>
    >> it turns out that the number of people who activate 3g on an ipad is
    >> extremely low. unlike phones, people use tablets at home, at work,
    >> etc., where wifi is almost guaranteed.
    >>
    >> many people get the 3g version 'just in case' they might need it one
    >> day, say for a vacation trip, and not need it the rest of the time.
    >> the 3g ipad also includes a gps, so some people get the 3g version for
    >> that, not because of 3g.

    >Then WHY is Apple promoting 4G as being so important?

    Companies always promote their products & features as being important.

    It's called "marketing".

    --
    Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 11, 2012
  17. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Mar 9, 5:49 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <2012030909314837709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >
    > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > > I notice that report is dated March 4, three days before the iPad 3
    > > announcement.
    > > I know that it might be premature to write an obituary for RIM, but
    > > these sales are obviously due to a shortage of iPads 1&2 prior to the
    > > rush to the new iPad on March 16.

    > it may be premature for rim's obituary but they're not far from it and
    > it doesn't look like they are turning things around.
    >
    > also, there was no shortage of ipads. it's that people knew something
    > was coming and decided to wait.
    >
    > > I have a suspicion that all those loyal Canadian RIM supporters will be
    > > buying a new iPad long before their new BB Playbook gets stale in their
    > > hands.

    > the playbook shipped stale. who creates a tablet that doesn't have
    > email? at least they added that in version 2.0 of the software.

    A friend of my got a playbook for free when he was at teh barcelona
    confernce thiungs a few weeks ago.
    Sony were giving them out free !!! My friend has ordered the new iPad
    (Note it's not an iPad 3).
    Most people that recived their free playbook walked out of the show
    and didn;lt hang around.
    The problem with the playbook is that there's few software/apps for
    it.

    Whisky-dave, Mar 13, 2012
  18. RichA

    nospam Guest

    Whisky-dave <> wrote:

    > > > I have a suspicion that all those loyal Canadian RIM supporters will be
    > > > buying a new iPad long before their new BB Playbook gets stale in their
    > > > hands.

    > > the playbook shipped stale. who creates a tablet that doesn't have
    > > email? at least they added that in version 2.0 of the software.

    > A friend of my got a playbook for free when he was at teh barcelona
    > confernce thiungs a few weeks ago.

    they have to do something with them. nobody was buying.

    > Sony were giving them out free !!! My friend has ordered the new iPad
    > (Note it's not an iPad 3).

    it is an ipad 3, but apple is no longer putting numbers in the names so
    it's 'the new ipad'.

    > Most people that recived their free playbook walked out of the show
    > and didn;lt hang around.

    they were too embarrassed to be seen in public with one.

    > The problem with the playbook is that there's few software/apps for
    > it.

    that's just one problem, but 2.0 does let you run some android apps
    (not all). at least it has email though!

    nospam, Mar 13, 2012
  19. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Mar 13, 3:45 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    > > > the playbook shipped stale. who creates a tablet that doesn't have
    > > > email? at least they added that in version 2.0 of the software.

    > > A friend of my got a playbook for free when he was at teh barcelona
    > > confernce thiungs a few weeks ago.

    > they have to do something with them. nobody was buying.

    So value wise they aren;t worth much to people.

    > > Sony were giving them out free !!! My friend has ordered the new iPad
    > > (Note it's not an iPad 3).

    > it is an ipad 3,

    No more so than the iPod 4 or the iMac 7 or whatever.

    > but apple is no longer putting numbers in the names so
    > it's 'the new ipad'.

    So that makes it a new iPad not an iPad 3 but a 3rd generation iPad.
    They do a simiat thing with computers alothough tere was no iMac 1,2
    or 3
    mayvbe it should be called the retina iPad

    > > Most people that recived their free playbook walked out of the show
    > > and didn;lt hang around.

    > they were too embarrassed to be seen in public with one.

    No they were blaggers who only went to the confrence for the free
    playbook they had little
    or no intention regarding being a developer for it, it was very
    obvious if you'd been there.

    > > The problem with the playbook is that there's few  software/apps for
    > > it.

    > that's just one problem, but 2.0 does let you run some android apps
    > (not all). at least it has email though!

    Which makes me think the iPad or rather the new iPad will sell quite
    well as there's little
    real compitition if any.

    Whisky-dave, Mar 14, 2012