Why are my pictures blurred?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bigfoot, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Bigfoot

    Bigfoot Guest

    Hello Everyone,

    I am a complete newbie with a camera especially this digital one which I
    have just bought a Sony "DSC P 10" and I am puzzled as to why some of my
    shots are turning out slightly pixelated ( I think it's whats referred to as
    noise ?). I have tried the automatic settings and some of my own preset
    ones and although my own presets do turn out slightly better there are quite
    a lot of pictures of poor quality. most of my shots so far have been taken
    indoors and I have the camera set at 5.0 megapixels with S AF setting,
    picture mode set at fine, flash is set at high and the ISO is set at 100.
    So why are some of my pictures turning out with noise on them and some are
    perfect? I am viewing them on my monitor and I know that you cannot
    distinguish between a certain resolution on screen but with my pictures you
    can see the difference in quality quite clearly.

    Is it wise to take all my pictures at 5.0 megapixel? I have loads of
    memory, or should I take them at a lower resolution for portrait pictures?

    Thanks to anyone who can maybe shed a little light as to where I might be
    going wrong here.

    Kind regards,

    John.
    Bigfoot, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Bigfoot

    GAH Guest

    Since you haven't posted a URL that leads to samples of your pictures, it's
    going to be hard for people here to tell.

    Most consumer level cameras however, exibit some "noise" on indoor shots.
    Even my Sony 707 and Canon 10D have noise in them under the right
    conditions. If you could maybe post a link to a "good" and "bad" shot, then
    that might help.

    Greg

    GAH, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Bigfoot

    mjd Guest

    does an 'AF!' icon appear when you press the shutter release ?
    If so the camera can't focus - hence blurred pictures...

    mjd, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Bigfoot

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Pixelization, noise, and blur are actually three seperate things.

    If you are only viewing on a monitor, see if there is something in your
    graphics card settings that can be improved. Also, sometimes JPEG
    artifacts can cause a sort of pixelization, but that is only after
    repeated editing.

    You need to get a good print, and look at the print. With your camera,
    at 5Mp, and on, lets say, a 5 x 7 print, you should see no pixelation.

    Noise is something entirely different. If you take a picture of a solid
    black object, noise will show up as isolated pixels of light grey or
    colors.

    Blur is a 'rounding off' of sharp edges that takes up several pixels.
    Lets say you shoot a bright star or other 'point source'. With no blur
    (and no flare) the image should be ideally one pixel, but may be a
    square of 2 x 2. If you have bad blur, the star image may be five or ten
    pixels in diameter.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Dec 27, 2003