    Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.

    You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.

    Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    Mathew Good, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    Philip Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:

    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >

    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    *Plonk!*

    Philip, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    Graymond Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.

    And how do you know this ?

    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.

    So why are you making comments about Linux

    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    Ditto above

    All operating systems have both good and bad points, why bother with
    all this nonsense, it makes this so called 'Comp' newsgroup so
    childish.

    Have a nice day.

    Graymond, Jan 5, 2007
  4. Mathew Good

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:30:07 +1300, Mathew Good <
    wrote:

    >May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    >defend its self here..
    >
    >Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >

    >You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    >Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    Haven't you seen the MS trolls in this group?

    GraB, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    In message <>, Mathew Good
    < wrote:

    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time...

    Here's a blogger who uses the term "L'unix". In this item
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=766>, he talks about how a university
    managed to save costs by outsourcing its IT operations to Google. How does
    Google manage to do things more cheaply? Answer: they're not running
    Dimdows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 5, 2007
  6. Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    In message <>, Mathew Good
    < wrote:

    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    Here's a blogger who uses the term "L'unix". In this item
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=764> he talks about the interesting
    concept of "monopoly guilt":

    Basically, people who now automatically choose Microsoft server products
    will start to become aware that their fiats force other people to make
    choices many of them might rather not make. For example, choose Exchange
    Server for your campus wide system, and you force Mac and other L'Unix
    users on your campus to choose between bypassing you, living with a
    layer of unwanted, unreliable, and inconsistent middleware that fails at
    the drop of a Microsoft patch, or accepting the need to pay for a PC and
    licensed software just to get along with your email server choice.

    Bottom line: every Microsoft server choice in IT taxes users by forcing
    them to choose between going along or finding work arounds - choices
    that IT could avoid imposing simply by choosing servers supporting open
    standards.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 5, 2007
  7. Hi there,

    Mathew Good wrote:

    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >
    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    **** off Woger, there are enough Windows and Linux trolls in here
    already...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 5, 2007
  8. Mathew Good

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Mathew Good
    > < wrote:
    >
    >> Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    > Here's a blogger who uses the term "L'unix". In this item
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=764> he talks about the interesting
    > concept of "monopoly guilt":
    >
    > Basically, people who now automatically choose Microsoft server products
    > will start to become aware that their fiats force other people to make
    > choices many of them might rather not make. For example, choose Exchange
    > Server for your campus wide system, and you force Mac and other L'Unix
    > users on your campus to choose between bypassing you, living with a
    > layer of unwanted, unreliable, and inconsistent middleware that fails at
    > the drop of a Microsoft patch, or accepting the need to pay for a PC and
    > licensed software just to get along with your email server choice.

    Um, Exchange supports POP3 and IMAP as well as the preferred MAPI that
    Outlook talks. So that is a red-herring. The big thing that ties people
    into Windows clients is Domain authentication. You can't get access to
    shared services unless you are a member of the Domain and it is very
    difficult to do that from a Linux or Mac client.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 5, 2007
  9. Mathew Good

    Phil Guest

    Mathew Good wrote, On 5/01/07 7.30 p:

    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >

    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    Yay for hypocrisy!

    -Phil

    Phil, Jan 5, 2007
  10. Mathew Good

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:

    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >

    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    well FFS I use both there are things that I can easy do with Windows and
    stuff that I can do with Linux. 6 or so months ago I switched from the
    windows platform for the day to day stuff to a Linux distro the wife
    loves it! I have a windows machine looking after the printing and music
    playing (streamed from my Linux server) I have used a Linux distro for
    that using a cdrom. I am doing a self help type of course from the local
    pollyteck and ended up taking a virus home on the usb key and nearly
    trashed the windows machine (YEAY!! not took too long to install and patch).

    I know I wont try VISTA but it sounds kinda cool. I really hope the
    "vista_cost.txt" as posted as a link, is a load of BS and does not come
    to fruition as it will make life hard for all. I can see problems in my
    job if what they are saying are true. But will the masses notice at all
    or will it be a non event? You see it is the masses that cause all our
    problems as they just don't know! most people here can clean up there
    own mess and keep things running fine for them self! I fixed a machine
    for the next door's it had 4 dialers 10 viruses & worms and 50 types of
    spy ware. The most toxic and saving grace for them was a proxy installed
    by one of the spyware witch stopped the dialers from running. I got a
    case of beer for my troubles, Better than money from my point of view!

    Robert Cooze, Jan 5, 2007
  11. Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:36:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Bottom line: every Microsoft server choice in IT taxes users by forcing
    > them to choose between going along or finding work arounds - choices
    > that IT could avoid imposing simply by choosing servers supporting open
    > standards.

    But surely these days people *expect* a large organisation to be using
    Windows, and Outlook and Exchange. They EXPECT to bitch about the lack of
    space in their inbox. They expect to have to ring up whenever they cannot
    turn their out of office auto reply on.

    Take away that monster known as M$ Exchange and you'll take away a whole
    lot of problems - all of them user/Outlook related.

    Why is M$ Outlook so complicated?

    Why does M$ Outlook start M$ Word for editing a simple email?

    Why do you have to look at >help>About to find parts of Outlook that have
    been disabled for what appears to be no good reason?

    Why are so many problems caused by the "Outlook Profiles" that can only
    realistically be fixed by deleting the profile and starting again?

    Why do PST "archives" crap themselves almost automatically when they get
    larger than a certain size?

    Why is the PST never shown in the GUI as having the name that the user
    gives that PST when creating it to begin with?

    Surely these are all basic usability things that M$ should have gotten
    right years ago - but hasn't.

    Put mildly, Outlook is a dog. There are other solutions out there which do
    the same job as M$ Outlook and are far easier to use.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    MS Windows Vista - broken by design
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 5, 2007
  12. Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:30:39 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Um, Exchange supports POP3 and IMAP as well as the preferred MAPI that
    > Outlook talks.

    Isn't MAPI a largely undocumented communications protocol that others have
    had to reverse engineer?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 5, 2007
  13. On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 07:05:22 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > most people here can clean up there
    > own mess and keep things running fine for them self! I fixed a machine
    > for the next door's it had 4 dialers 10 viruses & worms and 50 types of
    > spy ware. The most toxic and saving grace for them was a proxy installed
    > by one of the spyware witch stopped the dialers from running. I got a
    > case of beer for my troubles, Better than money from my point of view!

    And I bet they still wanted M$ Windows back on that machine eh?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 5, 2007
  14. Mathew Good

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-01-05, Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Um, Exchange supports POP3 and IMAP

    does it now... I recall its pop used to be broken.

    > as well as the preferred MAPI that Outlook talks.

    why is mapi preferred?

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jan 5, 2007
  15. Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    In message <459e9686$>, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > I really hope the
    > "vista_cost.txt" as posted as a link, is a load of BS and does not come
    > to fruition as it will make life hard for all...

    Except the guy who wrote it has a reputation for _not_ spouting bullshit.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 5, 2007
  16. Mathew Good

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Graymond" <> wrote in news:1167982247.901043.143560@
    51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

    > All operating systems have both good and bad points, why bother with
    > all this nonsense, it makes this so called 'Comp' newsgroup so
    > childish.

    All we need to do is stop feeding the trolls. Damn it, I just fed the
    thread, which might add a bit of sustenance to the troll. I can't win.
    Only silence works in these cases.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 5, 2007
  17. Mathew Good

    daemon9 Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:30:07 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:

    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >

    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    People in recent times have definitely wised up and realised how overrated
    it is. Unlike a few years ago, I don't actually know anyone now that runs
    Linux or considers it an alternative. Those I knew that used to run Linux
    and don't wish to use Windows now own a Mac instead. It will always have
    its place amongst amateurs, hackers, and hobbyists though.

    d9

    daemon9, Jan 6, 2007
  18. Mathew Good

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    On 5 Jan 2007 20:32:58 GMT, jasen <> exclaimed:

    >On 2007-01-05, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >>>

    >> Um, Exchange supports POP3 and IMAP

    >does it now... I recall its pop used to be broken.

    Nope, absolutely not!

    >> as well as the preferred MAPI that Outlook talks.

    >why is mapi preferred?

    Because it works best, and supports a lot more than IMAP. (And don't
    try to compare it to POP3 - they are completely different things).

    Fred Dagg, Jan 6, 2007
  19. Mathew Good

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Re: Why are Dimdows People so Insecure..

    On 6 Jan 2007 08:58:54 +1300, Dianthus Mimulus <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:36:10 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Bottom line: every Microsoft server choice in IT taxes users by forcing
    >> them to choose between going along or finding work arounds - choices
    >> that IT could avoid imposing simply by choosing servers supporting open
    >> standards.

    >But surely these days people *expect* a large organisation to be using
    >Windows, and Outlook and Exchange. They EXPECT to bitch about the lack of
    >space in their inbox. They expect to have to ring up whenever they cannot
    >turn their out of office auto reply on.

    Well, it's easier in Outlook than anything else - Tools --> Out of
    Office Assistant. If they can't figure that out, they're hardly going
    to be able to figure it out in any other application.

    >Take away that monster known as M$ Exchange and you'll take away a whole
    >lot of problems - all of them user/Outlook related.

    Garbage. Exchange is the cornerstone of communications in most
    enterprises.

    >Why is M$ Outlook so complicated?

    It's not for simple tasks, however it's a lot more than just an email
    program.

    >Why does M$ Outlook start M$ Word for editing a simple email?

    Why reinvent the wheel? They already have a full editor, and Office is
    a *family* of applications. And of course, it can be used without
    Word.

    >Why do you have to look at >help>About to find parts of Outlook that have
    >been disabled for what appears to be no good reason?

    If you can't see why, you shouldn't be administering Outlook.

    >Why are so many problems caused by the "Outlook Profiles" that can only
    >realistically be fixed by deleting the profile and starting again?

    Well, those "so many problems" hardly rear themselves here.

    >Why do PST "archives" crap themselves almost automatically when they get
    >larger than a certain size?

    PST has a limit of 20GB. If that's not big enough for you, you are
    using email incorrectly.

    Note this is Outlook in standalone mode (ie with PSTs), not Exchange.
    Exchange Enterprise does not have a limit.

    >Why is the PST never shown in the GUI as having the name that the user
    >gives that PST when creating it to begin with?

    Users should not have to concern themselves with PST names, or even
    the existence of such.

    >Surely these are all basic usability things that M$ should have gotten
    >right years ago - but hasn't.
    >
    >Put mildly, Outlook is a dog. There are other solutions out there which do
    >the same job as M$ Outlook and are far easier to use.

    Nope, there are not. Sure, there are other email proggies, but Outlook
    is not just an email proggie.

    Still, I wouldn't expect you to know or understand this.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 6, 2007
  20. Mathew Good

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:30:07 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:

    > May be they know its totally Crap and not meant for the masses, but they try to by keeping to
    > defend its self here..
    >
    > Come on Chaps its well know its totally crap and not meant for Jo Blow at all.
    >

    > You just don't seen Windows uses keep defending its self.
    >
    > Only the Lunix people do that all the time..

    Yep, irogrance has to be cured.

    Blue, Jan 6, 2007