    back into the format battle they could produce the DVD/HDDVD combo
    discs and sell them at the same price that DVDs are selling now.

    Al
    Alfred Kaufmann, Jan 10, 2008

  2. Alfred Kaufmann

    Mark W Guest

    "Alfred Kaufmann" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Almost forever companies have been preaching that if they could reduce
    > piracy then they could reduce their prices. These new high definition
    > formats are supposed to have much better copy protection so I have to
    > ask, why are they not cheaper than regular DVDs? If thay want to get
    > back into the format battle they could produce the DVD/HDDVD combo
    > discs and sell them at the same price that DVDs are selling now.
    >
    > Al

    At present they'll be 'recouping the R&D costs'.
    They'll be doing that whilst waiting for someone to figure out how to bypass
    the copy protection.
    Then it'll be back to 'if only we could reduce piracy....'
    Mark W, Jan 11, 2008

  3. Alfred Kaufmann

    Hawk Guest

    Alfred Kaufmann wrote:
    > Almost forever companies have been preaching that if they could reduce
    > piracy then they could reduce their prices. These new high definition
    > formats are supposed to have much better copy protection so I have to
    > ask, why are they not cheaper than regular DVDs? If thay want to get
    > back into the format battle they could produce the DVD/HDDVD combo
    > discs and sell them at the same price that DVDs are selling now.
    >
    > Al

    All I can say for certain is that the companies selling Blu-Ray movies
    for $34.99 are totally and completely insane. I won't spend 1/2 that
    for the vast majority of movies released these days, HD or not. IMHO
    the pathetic sales volume of HD format movies has less to do with the
    format war and more to do with the ludicrous pricing.

    I remember the record companies touting how music albums would become
    cheaper with the advent of the compact disc as they didn't have to deal
    with the high cost of producing cassettes any longer. CD's have
    practically doubled in price compared to what the average cassette used
    to cost.

    They overestimate the value of their products to a ridiculous degree.
    Most of us can find plenty of other ways to use our spare time that
    don't involve wallet rape.

    (*>
    Hawk, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Alfred Kaufmann

    Guest

    On Jan 10, 9:42 am, Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:
    > Almost forever companies have been preaching that if they could reduce
    > piracy then they could reduce their prices. These new high definition
    > formats are supposed to have much better copy protection so I have to
    > ask, why are they not cheaper than regular DVDs? If thay want to get
    > back into the format battle they could produce the DVD/HDDVD combo
    > discs and sell them at the same price that DVDs are selling now.
    >
    > Al

    When DVD first appeared, sets were costly and media was costly. As it
    became popular, prices fell.

    Some new released DVD's (even today) initially price out in the high
    20's or more. Until demand falls off or inventory becomes a
    liability.

    You can find the DVD bargain bin at many stores with titles at 4.99
    (or less) for DVD's you wouldn't ordinarily buy. Blazing-Saddles at
    $19.99? No.
    At $4.99? Sure, I'll watch it at least a few times, so that's cheaper
    than renting it.

    Same will happen to Blu-Ray. HD-DVD inventories will wind down fast
    and bargains will abound during that period.

    Cheers,
    Alan
    , Jan 12, 2008