    Love Liza

    Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    V.S., Jan 6, 2004

  2. V.S.

    Nonymous Guest

    "V.S." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Some that come to mind (IMHO):
    >
    > Northfork
    > The Safety of Objects
    > Raising Victor Vargas
    > Laurel Canyon
    > Heaven (Cate Blanchet)
    > Till Human Voices Wake Us
    > Winged Migration
    > Love Liza
    >
    > Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    > there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    The only two I've seen here are Victor Vargas and Love Liza.
    I liked Vargas, but the ending was anticlamatic. "that's it?" I think it's
    appeal is that it's a simple story of inner-city life with realistic
    characters that for once doesn't involve drive by shootings and dope deals.
    And the performances by newcomers were good.
    As for Love Liza, I didn't get it at all. Even the commentary didn't help.

    Other recently 'acclaimed' movies that have let me down:

    - Full Frontal (just viewed it last week. didn't make it to the end;
    admittedly it had mixed reviews)
    - Whale Rider (I did like it, but not *that* much.)
    - Gerry (ugh!)

    A recent movie I thought walked the talk: Blue Car

    Nonymous, Jan 6, 2004

  3. V.S.

    Rutgar Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:06 -0600 (CST), (V.S.)
    wrote:

    >Some that come to mind (IMHO):
    >
    >Northfork
    >The Safety of Objects
    >Raising Victor Vargas
    >Laurel Canyon
    >Heaven (Cate Blanchet)
    >Till Human Voices Wake Us
    >Winged Migration
    >Love Liza
    >
    >Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    >there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    Let's not forget:

    The English Patient
    The Piano
    Terms of Endearment
    Reds
    Gosford Park
    In the Bedroom
    Chocolat
    Life is Beautiful
    The Thin Red Line
    Dead Poets Society
    The Color Purple
    Out of Africa
    Gandhi
    On Golden Pond
    Chariots of Fire
    Ordinary People
    The Elephant Man

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Jan 6, 2004
  4. V.S.

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    > there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    My theory:

    Professional critics don't want to appear to be your average moviegoer with
    a modicum of writing talent. So, they espouse "important" movies and
    pooh-pooh mainstream fare. Occasionally they'll ruin the illusion, like
    Roger Ebert's four-star reviews of "Speed 2," "Congo," and "Anaconda."

    Oh, and search around online for an installment of Matt Groening's "Life in
    Hell" comic entitled How To Be A Clever Film Critic.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jan 6, 2004
  5. V.S.

    luminos Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:06 -0600 (CST), (V.S.)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Some that come to mind (IMHO):
    > >
    > >Northfork
    > >The Safety of Objects
    > >Raising Victor Vargas
    > >Laurel Canyon
    > >Heaven (Cate Blanchet)
    > >Till Human Voices Wake Us
    > >Winged Migration
    > >Love Liza
    > >
    > >Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    > >there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    > Let's not forget:
    >
    > The English Patient
    > The Piano
    > Terms of Endearment
    > Reds
    > Gosford Park
    > In the Bedroom
    > Chocolat
    > Life is Beautiful
    > The Thin Red Line
    > Dead Poets Society
    > The Color Purple
    > Out of Africa
    > Gandhi
    > On Golden Pond
    > Chariots of Fire
    > Ordinary People
    > The Elephant Man
    >
    > - Rutgar

    Then you, Rutgar, have the attention span of a second and the mind of a
    child.

    luminos, Jan 6, 2004
  6. V.S.

    damnfine Guest

    Possibly you lack an attention span.

    --
    /^\damnfine/^\
    "To disbelieve in the gods is at the same time to

    damnfine, Jan 6, 2004
  7. V.S.

    damnfine Guest

    Mike Jackson wrote:
    > > Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    > > there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    > My theory:
    >
    > Professional critics don't want to appear to be your average moviegoer with
    > a modicum of writing talent. So, they espouse "important" movies and
    > pooh-pooh mainstream fare.

    Wow, you must've been up all night formulating that theory!

    > Occasionally they'll ruin the illusion, like Roger Ebert's four-star reviews
    > of "Speed 2," "Congo," and "Anaconda."

    Ebert didn't give four stars to any of those films.

    damnfine, Jan 6, 2004
  8. V.S.

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "Rutgar" wrote in alt.video.dvd in article
    <>:
    >On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:06 -0600 (CST), (V.S.)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Some that come to mind (IMHO):
    >>Winged Migration
    >>
    >>Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    >>there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    >Let's not forget:
    >
    >The English Patient

    Who can forget Elaine on /Seinfeld/ watching that movie and yelling
    "die! die!" at the screen? I know exactly how she felt.

    But putting /Winged Migration/ in the list of boring films -- that's
    just wrong. :) (I hear the DVD has a making-of feature, which I am
    very much looking forward to seeing.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Jan 6, 2004
  9. V.S.

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Some that come to mind (IMHO):
    >
    > Northfork
    > The Safety of Objects
    > Raising Victor Vargas
    > Laurel Canyon
    > Heaven (Cate Blanchet)
    > Till Human Voices Wake Us
    > Winged Migration
    > Love Liza
    >
    > Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    > there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    English Patient
    The Piano
    Leaving Las Vegas

    --

    NightStalker

    NightStalker, Jan 6, 2004
  10. V.S.

    Rutgar Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 05:32:39 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:06 -0600 (CST), (V.S.)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Some that come to mind (IMHO):
    >> >
    >> >Northfork
    >> >The Safety of Objects
    >> >Raising Victor Vargas
    >> >Laurel Canyon
    >> >Heaven (Cate Blanchet)
    >> >Till Human Voices Wake Us
    >> >Winged Migration
    >> >Love Liza
    >> >
    >> >Some of these films have quite good performances, but the "story" (when
    >> >there's one) just drags on... Any others? Any explanations?

    >> Let's not forget:
    >>
    >> The English Patient
    >> The Piano
    >> Terms of Endearment
    >> Reds
    >> Gosford Park
    >> In the Bedroom
    >> Chocolat
    >> Life is Beautiful
    >> The Thin Red Line
    >> Dead Poets Society
    >> The Color Purple
    >> Out of Africa
    >> Gandhi
    >> On Golden Pond
    >> Chariots of Fire
    >> Ordinary People
    >> The Elephant Man
    >>
    >> - Rutgar

    >Then you, Rutgar, have the attention span of a second and the mind of a
    >child.

    What, exactly, about the above criteria did you not understand? I
    have seen all of these movies. So, that blows your "attention span"
    theory. BTW, what films do YOU think fit the list?

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Jan 6, 2004
  11. V.S.

    damnfine Guest

    Rutgar wrote:
    > What, exactly, about the above criteria did you not understand? I
    > have seen all of these movies. So, that blows your "attention span"
    > theory.

    Not really.

    damnfine, Jan 6, 2004
  12. V.S.

    Justin Guest

    damnfine wrote on [Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:22:13 +1030]:
    > Rutgar wrote:
    >> What, exactly, about the above criteria did you not understand? I
    >> have seen all of these movies. So, that blows your "attention span"
    >> theory.

    > Not really.

    Quite a few of the movies he listed did indeed suck hard

    Justin, Jan 6, 2004
  13. V.S.

    Werz Mungle Guest

    It has been my experience that people who complain about this the most are
    young and/or immature types with relatively little film viewing and life
    living experience. It takes time and effort to cultivate more sophisticated
    tastes. Not everyone who enjoys "boring" movies is faking it in order to
    appear more mature.

    Werz Mungle, Jan 6, 2004
  14. V.S.

    Steve Ferra Guest

    (V.S.) wrote in news:3089-3FF9FEBE-371@storefull-
    2291.public.lawson.webtv.net:

    > Some that come to mind (IMHO):

    You need to check in with more than one or two critics - with a couple
    of exceptions, the consensus reviews of the films you listed were
    mediocre-to-OK. Using metacritic.com, which collects reviews from
    various sources and converts them to a 1-100 scale, here is how
    the following films you listed were received:

    > Northfork

    68

    > The Safety of Objects

    58

    > Laurel Canyon

    61

    > Heaven (Cate Blanchet)

    68

    > Till Human Voices Wake Us

    34

    > Love Liza

    58

    The notable exceptions were Raising Victor Vargas, and Winged Migration,
    which each scored 85. Having seen Vargas, I'd concur in the score.
    Haven't seen Migration, but this is one of those you-know-what-you're
    getting-into type of films; if you expect the birds to doublecross
    each other and start shooting, then no critic is going to guide the
    way for you.

    Steve Ferra, Jan 6, 2004
  15. >Rutgar

    >Let's not forget:
    >

    >Dead Poets Society

    What's wrong with this film?

    It tells a very good story about conformity and how it relates to freedom of
    expression and the freedom to be yourself.

    (read: repression of creative expression and taking an overly analytical
    approach to somthing that has to be appreciated at an emotional level to truly
    be understood and enjoyed, not methodically and systematically analyzed. "I
    don't hear ripping!" Also, about not being able to take charge of your own
    future because of unreasonable demands from an authority. "You are going to
    military school and you're going to be a doctor.")

    I don't know about you, but to have someone tell me that I can't be what I want
    and would force me to be what I would never want to be may drive me to suicide,
    because I wouldn't have much of a life worth living anyways. Anyone who's seen
    and understood this film probably know what I'm talking about.

    But, anyways, with more people wanting films that are lowbrow rather than films
    that actually matter, it should come as no surprise at why mainstream Hollywood
    is at such a poor state of originality, particularly when compared to
    independent, European, and Japanese cinema. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 8, 2004
  16. >What, exactly, about the above criteria did you not understand? I
    >have seen all of these movies. So, that blows your "attention span"
    >theory. BTW, what films do YOU think fit the list?

    Not necessarily. Anyone can see a movie, but really understanding it is what
    matters in appreciation of cinema. You don't have to like it, but you have to
    clearly explain your reasons why, and only saying "because it's boring" or "too
    drawn out" without much of a good explanation doesn't really count as a very
    good reason why a movie is considered bad in your opinion.

    Some films may have mistakes in pacing that can make key scenes longer than
    they ought to be, but usually the director has a reason for all of his/her
    decisions, including the length of time of a scene, in order to get a desired
    emotional response from an audience that is truly paying attention.

    Sometimes, but not always, good cinema, like any other form of creative
    expression, expresses to us all something that needs to be known, even if no
    one wants to hear it, see it, feel it, or think about it. Either directly or
    indirectly. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 8, 2004