    This happens with about 5% of DVDs from Netflix. I'm usually able to read
    them with the LG drive after many tries, but it's a bit frustrating.

    Can anyone suggest a diagnosis based on this information?

    def456, Apr 7, 2007

  2. def456

    Abe Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 02:50:28 GMT, "def456" <> wrote:

    >I received a movie from Netflix and it played OK in my standalone DVD player
    >(Emerson EWD7003), but my computer's internal DVD drive (LG GSA-4167B) had a
    >very hard time recognizing it. I received messages such as "no disk in
    >drive", or "drive not ready".
    >
    >I cleaned the DVD thoroughly which had no effect. What worked was to lay it
    >on a flat surface and rub with a chamois lens cleaning cloth, pressing
    >firmly, rubbing from hub to the outer rim. I finally got the LG drive to
    >recognize it in that fashion, after which it played fine. I must've tried
    >25-50 times before I got lucky with this particular DVD.
    >
    >This happens with about 5% of DVDs from Netflix. I'm usually able to read
    >them with the LG drive after many tries, but it's a bit frustrating.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a diagnosis based on this information?

    Uhh, yeah. Different drives have varying abilities to read marginal
    discs.

    Abe, Apr 7, 2007

  3. def456

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 02:50:28 GMT, def456 <> wrote:

    >I received a movie from Netflix and it played OK in my standalone DVD player
    >(Emerson EWD7003), but my computer's internal DVD drive (LG GSA-4167B) had a
    >very hard time recognizing it. I received messages such as "no disk in
    >drive", or "drive not ready".

    >I cleaned the DVD thoroughly which had no effect. What worked was to lay it
    >on a flat surface and rub with a chamois lens cleaning cloth, pressing
    >firmly, rubbing from hub to the outer rim. I finally got the LG drive to
    >recognize it in that fashion, after which it played fine. I must've tried
    >25-50 times before I got lucky with this particular DVD.

    >This happens with about 5% of DVDs from Netflix. I'm usually able to read
    >them with the LG drive after many tries, but it's a bit frustrating.

    >Can anyone suggest a diagnosis based on this information?

    Your drive is a POS. Replace it.

    You haven't done anything stupid like use one of those "cleaning disks", have
    you?

    AZ Nomad, Apr 7, 2007
  4. def456

    def456 Guest

    > Your drive is a POS. Replace it.

    What's a "POS"?
    The LG drive is only a year old. It reads 95%+ of DVDs just fine. Only 5% or
    less are marginal, difficult to read.

    > You haven't done anything stupid like use one of those "cleaning disks",
    > have
    > you?

    No.

    def456, Apr 7, 2007
  5. def456

    def456 Guest

    >>Can anyone suggest a diagnosis based on this information?

    > Uhh, yeah. Different drives have varying abilities to read marginal
    > discs.

    Which ones read marginal discs the best? I've thought about getting a
    Lite-On model, but are they any better than LG?

    def456, Apr 7, 2007
  6. def456

    Guest Guest

    "def456" <> wrote in message
    >>>Can anyone suggest a diagnosis based on this information?

    >> Uhh, yeah. Different drives have varying abilities to read marginal
    >> discs.

    > Which ones read marginal discs the best? I've thought about getting a
    > Lite-On model, but are they any better than LG?

    No. I have both, and they are essentially the same. However, I have no
    trouble reading Netflix DVDs on either drive.

    Norm

    Guest, Apr 7, 2007
  7. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 09:55:12 -0500, "def456" <> Gave
    us:

    >> Your drive is a POS. Replace it.

    >What's a "POS"?

    Piece Of Shit

    You are a CN!

    Clueless Newbie

    >The LG drive is only a year old. It reads 95%+ of DVDs just fine. Only 5% or
    >less are marginal, difficult to read.

    Do you place your discs on flat surfaces and scratch the piss out of
    them?

    Or do you ONLY place them in player/reader trays, and in the their
    storage case? Also, no fat fingering allowed. ONLY touch the disc
    edges.

    >> You haven't done anything stupid like use one of those "cleaning disks",
    >> have
    >> you?

    >No.

    Is there a lot of dust on your hardware surfaces, or do you have to
    clean your CPU heatsink fins often? If so, that same dust gets into
    your POS player/drive as well.

    MassiveProng, Apr 7, 2007
  8. def456

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 09:55:12 -0500, def456 <> wrote:

    >> Your drive is a POS. Replace it.

    >What's a "POS"?
    >The LG drive is only a year old. It reads 95%+ of DVDs just fine. Only 5% or
    >less are marginal, difficult to read.

    Drives are built awfully cheap nowadays. Easiest solution might be to
    buy a new drive. If you're broke then do you want to try and repair it?
    Maybe read through http://www.repairfaq.org/. I doubt there are any
    adjustments available. Maybe clean the lens (NOT with a "cleaning disk"!);
    relubricate the track; make sure the lens focusing mechanism moves smoothly.

    When you get a DVD that won't read, is it an abused rental? I first use warm
    water and a little dishsoap to clean a DVD. If that doesn't work I check
    for deep scratches and use paint polish on them.

    AZ Nomad, Apr 7, 2007
  9. "def456" <> writes:

    > I received a movie from Netflix and it played OK in my standalone DVD player
    > (Emerson EWD7003), but my computer's internal DVD drive (LG GSA-4167B) had a
    > very hard time recognizing it. I received messages such as "no disk in
    > drive", or "drive not ready".
    >
    > I cleaned the DVD thoroughly which had no effect. What worked was to lay it
    > on a flat surface and rub with a chamois lens cleaning cloth, pressing
    > firmly, rubbing from hub to the outer rim. I finally got the LG drive to
    > recognize it in that fashion, after which it played fine. I must've tried
    > 25-50 times before I got lucky with this particular DVD.
    >
    > This happens with about 5% of DVDs from Netflix. I'm usually able to read
    > them with the LG drive after many tries, but it's a bit frustrating.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a diagnosis based on this information?

    You have an Emerson drive and an LG drive... nuff said.

    Scott Streeter, Apr 9, 2007