    rest of my a/v gear is black.

    Thanks,
    Penguin

    Sunstreaking Penguin, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Yazandtony Guest

    Well, most televisions now are silver, so to fit in, most dvd players now are
    also silver. I guess. I dont think anyone here would know either, its just an
    odd question...

    Yazandtony, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Sunstreaking Penguin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello AVD,
    >
    > I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be

    one
    > of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when the
    > rest of my a/v gear is black.

    I have 3 DVD players. All of them are black.

    Mark Jones, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Sunstreaking Penguin wrote:
    > Hello AVD,
    >
    > I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be one
    > of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when the
    > rest of my a/v gear is black.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Penguin

    Women like the silver players. Honest.

    --

    "One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom,
    a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural

    --Hubert P. Yockey, Journal of Theoretical Biology

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Richard C. Guest

    "Yazandtony" <> wrote in message
    : Well, most televisions now are silver, so to fit in, most dvd players
    now are
    : also silver. I guess. I dont think anyone here would know either, its
    just an
    : odd question...

    ==============
    Not odd at all.

    Silver is a STUPID choice for equipment in a HT.
    Black is the only color that makes sense.

    Richard C., Aug 8, 2004
  6. >I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be one
    >of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when the
    >rest of my a/v gear is black.

    my dvd player is black instead of silver.

    Philips 825

    Waterperson77, Aug 8, 2004
  7. >Well, most televisions now are silver, so to fit in, most dvd players now are
    >also silver. I guess. I dont think anyone here would know either, its just an
    >odd question...

    my tv is also black instead of silver.

    Waterperson77, Aug 8, 2004
  8. On 08 Aug 2004 02:32:08 GMT,
    (Waterperson77) wrote:

    >>I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be one
    >>of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when the
    >>rest of my a/v gear is black.
    >>

    >my dvd player is black instead of silver.
    >
    >Philips 825

    Is everybody here really too young to remember that ALL audio and
    video equipment was silver or silver and wood from the 1960s right
    through until about 1988? then from that point on everything, and I
    mean EVERYTHING was black. It's only in the last four years or less
    that any equipment has gone back to silver. It's considered retro but
    actually I always preferred silver to a dull invisible black. My Wega
    and multimedia amp are silver, the DVD player and laser player are
    black, though not by choice (Laser players stopped being made just as
    silver was coming back into fashion), and my SVHS is a dark two-toned
    silver, very attactive.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 8, 2004
  9. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Biz Guest

    > Hello AVD,
    >
    > I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be

    one
    > of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when the
    > rest of my a/v gear is black.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Penguin

    Had this same discussion a fe wmonths ago with a close friend, especially
    when we were both in the market for some new HT gear. When its dark or near
    dark in a room, dark colored equipment disappears, where silver sticks out
    like a sore thumb, though some people seem to like it alot.

    Most of the nicer stuff is black or at least gives you a choice.

    Biz, Aug 8, 2004
  10. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Biz Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On 08 Aug 2004 02:32:08 GMT,
    > (Waterperson77) wrote:
    >
    > >>I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be one
    > >>of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when

    the
    > >>rest of my a/v gear is black.
    > >>

    > >my dvd player is black instead of silver.
    > >
    > >Philips 825

    > Is everybody here really too young to remember that ALL audio and
    > video equipment was silver or silver and wood from the 1960s right
    > through until about 1988? then from that point on everything, and I
    > mean EVERYTHING was black. It's only in the last four years or less
    > that any equipment has gone back to silver. It's considered retro but
    > actually I always preferred silver to a dull invisible black. My Wega
    > and multimedia amp are silver, the DVD player and laser player are
    > black, though not by choice (Laser players stopped being made just as
    > silver was coming back into fashion), and my SVHS is a dark two-toned
    > silver, very attactive.
    >
    > .. Steve .

    How much video equipment did we have in the 60's besides a tv? And they were
    mostly wood paneled. a HT back in the 70s was a tv and MAYBE a VCR(probably
    BETA). I dont think I even saw a stereo system integrated into the room
    with the family tv until the late 70's, more likely the 80's.

    Biz, Aug 8, 2004
  11. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Mark Jones Guest

    > Is everybody here really too young to remember that ALL audio and
    > video equipment was silver or silver and wood from the 1960s right
    > through until about 1988? then from that point on everything, and I
    > mean EVERYTHING was black.

    Not so. My stereo rack system is from the early 80's and it
    is all black.

    Mark Jones, Aug 8, 2004
  12. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Marci Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Women like the silver players. Honest.

    Sorry. But this woman doesn't.

    Marci, Aug 8, 2004
  13. Sunstreaking Penguin

    DVDfanatico Guest

    White is probably the wrost color for TV's and equiptment but silver is bad too
    because it reflects light. Usually, you want the area around your TV to be as
    dark as possible like in movie theaters. That's why TV's look better if
    they're black or if they're in an entertainment center. Same goes for computer
    monitors (arrrgh mine's beige). Having said that, sometimes colors like red or
    gold look impressive. Asthetics vs. performance. :)

    DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Aug 8, 2004
  14. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Nonymous Guest

    > Well, most televisions now are silver, so to fit in, most dvd players now

    are
    > also silver. I guess. I dont think anyone here would know either, its just

    an
    > odd question...

    I don't think it has anything to do with just entertainment equipment.
    Think about it... almost *everything* electronic these days can be had in
    silver... at least as an option, if not an only choice... stereos, TVs, DVD
    players, cell phones, wireless phones, interior car trim (take a look inside
    a brand new Nissan or Chrysler), clock radios, etc.

    Nonymous, Aug 8, 2004
  15. On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 04:25:18 GMT, "Mark Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> Is everybody here really too young to remember that ALL audio and
    >> video equipment was silver or silver and wood from the 1960s right
    >> through until about 1988? then from that point on everything, and I
    >> mean EVERYTHING was black.

    >Not so. My stereo rack system is from the early 80's and it
    >is all black.

    Yeah mine is from 1984 and it's all black. I think it was more like
    1983/84 that they were coming out in black and by 1988 it was
    complete, you couldn't find anything in silver.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 8, 2004
  16. On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 03:34:48 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    >the
    >> >>

    >> >my dvd player is black instead of silver.
    >> >
    >> >Philips 825

    >> Is everybody here really too young to remember that ALL audio and
    >> video equipment was silver or silver and wood from the 1960s right
    >> through until about 1988? then from that point on everything, and I
    >> mean EVERYTHING was black. It's only in the last four years or less
    >> that any equipment has gone back to silver. It's considered retro but
    >> actually I always preferred silver to a dull invisible black. My Wega
    >> and multimedia amp are silver, the DVD player and laser player are
    >> black, though not by choice (Laser players stopped being made just as
    >> silver was coming back into fashion), and my SVHS is a dark two-toned
    >> silver, very attactive.
    >>
    >> .. Steve .
    >> >

    >How much video equipment did we have in the 60's besides a tv? And they were
    >mostly wood paneled. a HT back in the 70s was a tv and MAYBE a VCR(probably
    >BETA). I dont think I even saw a stereo system integrated into the room
    >with the family tv until the late 70's, more likely the 80's.

    Amplifiers, preamps, so-called "Component" systems were either silver
    or wood and silver, I wasn't talking aobut video from that era, though
    what there WAS such as the Sony CVs, cartrivison, and later early 3/4"
    machines were all a sort of industrial grey or corporate red.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 8, 2004
  17. "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Sunstreaking Penguin" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello AVD,
    > >
    > > I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be

    > one
    > > of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when

    the
    > > rest of my a/v gear is black.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Penguin
    > >

    > Had this same discussion a fe wmonths ago with a close friend, especially
    > when we were both in the market for some new HT gear. When its dark or

    near
    > dark in a room, dark colored equipment disappears, where silver sticks out
    > like a sore thumb, though some people seem to like it alot.
    >
    > Most of the nicer stuff is black or at least gives you a choice.

    Yeah true. My surround system is black throughout for that reason.

    I don't want my speakers dominating the room and as you say sticking out
    like a sore thumb.

    I want to watch my TV picture not my equipment and I feel that black
    equipment helps as it's less noticeable.

    Others no doubt want to show off their gear and want silver with lights,
    bells and turbo charged whistles! :)

    Horses for courses really, but it would be better to have a choice between
    the two and not be forced to compromise because of the whims of the
    manufacturers.

    Stephen

    Stephen Stewart, Aug 8, 2004
  18. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Impmon Guest

    On 07 Aug 2004 21:51:49 GMT, (Yazandtony) wrote:

    >Well, most televisions now are silver, so to fit in, most dvd players now are
    >also silver. I guess. I dont think anyone here would know either, its just an
    >odd question...

    I'm still waiting for the day they come out with faux woodgrain player
    to match my old TV, Atari system, and old VCR. ;)
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Aug 8, 2004
  19. Marci wrote:
    >> Women like the silver players. Honest.

    > Sorry. But this woman doesn't.

    Well, you're in the minority. I used to work at a Best Buy and every
    single woman customer wanted a silver DVD player, a silver tv, a silver
    receiver, etc. Even when I recommended superior black ones they went
    with the lesser silver models.

    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 8, 2004
  20. Sunstreaking Penguin

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:16:23 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On 08 Aug 2004 02:32:08 GMT,
    >(Waterperson77) wrote:
    >
    >>>I'm curious why so many dvd players are silver. I find silver to be one
    >>>of the most revolting colors for a piece of equipment, especially when the
    >>>rest of my a/v gear is black.
    >>>

    >>my dvd player is black instead of silver.
    >>
    >>Philips 825

    >Is everybody here really too young to remember that ALL audio and
    >video equipment was silver or silver and wood from the 1960s right
    >through until about 1988? then from that point on everything, and I
    >mean EVERYTHING was black. It's only in the last four years or less
    >that any equipment has gone back to silver. It's considered retro but
    >actually I always preferred silver to a dull invisible black. My Wega
    >and multimedia amp are silver, the DVD player and laser player are
    >black, though not by choice (Laser players stopped being made just as
    >silver was coming back into fashion), and my SVHS is a dark two-toned
    >silver, very attactive.
    >
    >.. Steve .

    I definitely remember when all home audio equipment was silver, or
    brushed aluminum, to be more precise. And, as you said, surrounded
    with a real wood case (sometimes optional). It was the late
    70's/early 80's when black home audio gear first started appearing.
    At the time, I thought black audio equipment looked cheap ( and
    usually it was). The better stuff was still silver and wood
    (Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, etc.) Don't laugh. These were the
    "mid-fi" kings of the 70's. Then along came other "mid-fi"
    competition such as NAD, Adcom, etc. Nakamichi came out with a black
    cassette deck that was the "end all" of all "end all" called the
    "Dragon" (and it looked "BAD ASS!"). Eventually, "Black" took over,
    and pushed aside the classic "brushed silver" look. Black reigned
    supreme for over a decade, but in recent years, Silver has been making
    a come back.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Aug 9, 2004