Why am I getting poor or erratic speed test results?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fierce Guppy, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    I have one of the 10Mbps/2Mbps plans from TelstraClear here in North
    Christchurch. My cable modem was upgraded on Monday from an SB4100 to an
    SB5101 to handle the 25Mbps offerings arriving soon. Since the upgrade I've
    run many speed tests at http://www.speedtest.net/ and am puzzled by the
    results.

    Before upgrade. After
    upgrade
    Wellington, 1100kbps to 1500kbps, 760kbps to 950kbps
    Auckland, 4900kbps to 7800kbps, 1800kbps to 4000kbps
    Napier, 5900kbps to 7300kbps, 5900kbps to 9300kbps

    How can Wellington and Auckland be consistantly much worse after the upgrade
    while the results from the Napier server be an improvement?

    What's more puzzling are the results from
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml. Before the upgrade the rate
    varied between 4900kbps to 7600kbps, and after, from 1300kbps to 1500kbps
    with occassional spurts to over 10000kbps (http://tinyurl.com/3cqgrh). I
    don't get it. How does this happen?

    A final oddity that works in my favour is I've won back ~500kBps when
    downloading files. From June my transfer rates slowly declined to ~750kBps
    and I could rarely push past that figure. Now 1230kBps is easy to achieve
    with any decent download manager. So does anyone know what's causing all
    these seemly contradictory results.

    --
    email: fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz
    Fierce Guppy, Nov 28, 2007

  2. On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:06:08 +1300, Fierce Guppy wrote:

    > Before upgrade.
    > After
    > upgrade
    > Wellington, 1100kbps to 1500kbps, 760kbps to 950kbps
    > Auckland, 4900kbps to 7800kbps, 1800kbps to 4000kbps
    > Napier, 5900kbps to 7300kbps, 5900kbps to 9300kbps
    >
    > How can Wellington and Auckland be consistantly much worse after the
    > upgrade while the results from the Napier server be an improvement?

    Perhaps your ISP has different circuits to Auckland/Wellington/Napier. And
    perhaps your ISP has been having *massive* problems with its network. :eek:(

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 28, 2007

  3. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:06:08 +1300, Fierce Guppy wrote:
    >
    >> Before upgrade.
    >> After
    >> upgrade
    >> Wellington, 1100kbps to 1500kbps, 760kbps to 950kbps
    >> Auckland, 4900kbps to 7800kbps, 1800kbps to 4000kbps
    >> Napier, 5900kbps to 7300kbps, 5900kbps to 9300kbps
    >>
    >> How can Wellington and Auckland be consistantly much worse after the
    >> upgrade while the results from the Napier server be an improvement?

    > Perhaps your ISP has different circuits to Auckland/Wellington/Napier. And

    But how? The technician just replaced my modem..

    > perhaps your ISP has been having *massive* problems with its network. :eek:(

    Over the past week the only problems that have been publicised on
    TelstraClear's web site is a phishing scam and something to do with Saturn
    TV.

    --
    email: fierce,
    Fierce Guppy, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Fierce Guppy

    sam Guest

    Fierce Guppy wrote:
    > I have one of the 10Mbps/2Mbps plans from TelstraClear here in North
    > Christchurch. My cable modem was upgraded on Monday from an SB4100 to an
    > SB5101 to handle the 25Mbps offerings arriving soon. Since the upgrade I've
    > run many speed tests at http://www.speedtest.net/ and am puzzled by the
    > results.
    >
    > Before upgrade. After
    > upgrade
    > Wellington, 1100kbps to 1500kbps, 760kbps to 950kbps
    > Auckland, 4900kbps to 7800kbps, 1800kbps to 4000kbps
    > Napier, 5900kbps to 7300kbps, 5900kbps to 9300kbps
    >
    > How can Wellington and Auckland be consistantly much worse after the upgrade
    > while the results from the Napier server be an improvement?
    >
    > What's more puzzling are the results from
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml. Before the upgrade the rate
    > varied between 4900kbps to 7600kbps, and after, from 1300kbps to 1500kbps
    > with occassional spurts to over 10000kbps (http://tinyurl.com/3cqgrh). I
    > don't get it. How does this happen?
    >
    > A final oddity that works in my favour is I've won back ~500kBps when
    > downloading files. From June my transfer rates slowly declined to ~750kBps
    > and I could rarely push past that figure. Now 1230kBps is easy to achieve
    > with any decent download manager. So does anyone know what's causing all
    > these seemly contradictory results.

    The Wellington one to Citylink is always crap because of TCs peering
    policies.
    I'm in Wellington and I get the best speed when I test to Sydney.
    sam, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Fierce Guppy

    no Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:06:08 +1300, "Fierce Guppy" <> wrote:

    >I have one of the 10Mbps/2Mbps plans from TelstraClear here in North
    >Christchurch. My cable modem was upgraded on Monday from an SB4100 to an
    >SB5101 to handle the 25Mbps offerings arriving soon. Since the upgrade I've
    >run many speed tests at http://www.speedtest.net/ and am puzzled by the
    >results.
    >
    > Before upgrade. After
    >upgrade
    >Wellington, 1100kbps to 1500kbps, 760kbps to 950kbps
    >Auckland, 4900kbps to 7800kbps, 1800kbps to 4000kbps
    >Napier, 5900kbps to 7300kbps, 5900kbps to 9300kbps
    >
    >How can Wellington and Auckland be consistantly much worse after the upgrade
    >while the results from the Napier server be an improvement?
    >
    >What's more puzzling are the results from
    >http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml. Before the upgrade the rate
    >varied between 4900kbps to 7600kbps, and after, from 1300kbps to 1500kbps
    >with occassional spurts to over 10000kbps (http://tinyurl.com/3cqgrh). I
    >don't get it. How does this happen?
    >
    >A final oddity that works in my favour is I've won back ~500kBps when
    >downloading files. From June my transfer rates slowly declined to ~750kBps
    >and I could rarely push past that figure. Now 1230kBps is easy to achieve
    >with any decent download manager. So does anyone know what's causing all
    >these seemly contradictory results.

    Why not try this, was your RWIN cold be wrong..

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    no , Nov 28, 2007
  6. On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:08:12 +1300, Fierce Guppy wrote:

    >> Perhaps your ISP has different circuits to Auckland/Wellington/Napier. And

    > But how? The technician just replaced my modem.

    I don't know the minutiae of how Telstra operates its network.

    I was just speculating based on something that I had heard recently about
    Telstras continued involvement in NZ and the Cable part of its data network.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 28, 2007
  7. Fierce Guppy

    blanking Guest

    >> What's more puzzling are the results from
    >> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml. Before the upgrade the
    >> rate varied between 4900kbps to 7600kbps, and after, from 1300kbps to
    >> 1500kbps with occassional spurts to over 10000kbps
    >> (http://tinyurl.com/3cqgrh). I don't get it. How does this happen?

    I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory but
    in practice are other isp's any better?
    Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.
    blanking, Nov 29, 2007
  8. Fierce Guppy

    blanking Guest

    "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    >>> What's more puzzling are the results from
    >>> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml. Before the upgrade the
    >>> rate varied between 4900kbps to 7600kbps, and after, from 1300kbps to
    >>> 1500kbps with occassional spurts to over 10000kbps
    >>> (http://tinyurl.com/3cqgrh). I don't get it. How does this happen?
    >>>

    > I am with xnet and on fullspeed download yet only get 2028kbps testing on
    > nzdsl right, right now, I would love to know what speed other people are
    > getting with the isp's they are with because i am far from satisfied with
    > xnet, I know i should be able to get better speeds than this in theory but
    > in practice are other isp's any better?
    > Also my line quality is fine and I live just 500 meters from the exchange.
    > My speed to the exchange is 7616kbps.

    Decided it was more appropriate to start a new thread with my reply above,
    so excuse me please.
    blanking, Nov 29, 2007
  9. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    <no > wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:06:08 +1300, "Fierce Guppy"
    > <> wrote:

    [...]
    >>A final oddity that works in my favour is I've won back ~500kBps when
    >>downloading files. From June my transfer rates slowly declined to
    >>~750kBps
    >>and I could rarely push past that figure. Now 1230kBps is easy to achieve
    >>with any decent download manager. So does anyone know what's causing all
    >>these seemly contradictory results.

    > Why not try this, was your RWIN cold be wrong..
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    Nice tweak test facility there. Anyway, I've tried it, and the RWIN size
    is fine according to the report. I did enable time stamping as was
    recommended, but that made no percievable difference. All this strangeness
    as a result of swapping out a modem... While the TelstraClear technician
    was here I did a speed test from the Auckland server. It got to ~2800kbps.
    I told him this was the worst result I've seen from the Auckland server. He
    told me that after TelstraClear replaces the old modems the company is going
    to send out a firmware upgrade which will up the speed. Except, I'm now
    getting full speed file downloads, anyway. I just want to know why right
    after the upgrade the speed test results from various servers are much
    poorer than before the upgrade.
    --
    fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz
    Fierce Guppy, Nov 29, 2007