    Microsoft seems to have a problem on most of their pages. Automatic Updates
    doesn't work for instance. Help.....:-(

    brgrds Marcus
    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Sep 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Lasancmt:
    With x64 there is a 32-bit and 64-bit IE. Using the 32-bit IE
    should eliminate web-site concerns. IE7 for x64 also has a 32-bit and 64-bit
    IE7 included.

    Dennis Pack, Sep 25, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

    DP Guest

    Works for me in 64-bit IE. Maybe it was Google?

    DP, Sep 27, 2006
  4. Thanks for your tips, I now see that when clicking on Start Programs you can
    choose between IE 64 Bit and IE 32 bit. However it does not solve my problem.
    On the 32 bit version I cannot open Google either. I notice that Alta vista
    does not load the alta vista logo, displaying a red X. The logo seems to com
    from a different non alta vista site. This led me to think that the anti
    phishing filter was to blame. I turned it off,, but still no joy. No Google
    and no Alta vista logo. My IBM laptop running from the same ADSL router
    meanwhile displays both web sites, has exactly the same DNS and network
    settings. I am out of my depht here.......

    Rgrds Marcus

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Sep 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have the nVidia chipset on your computer you will have to install the
    nVidia firewall, and then uninstall it.

    John Barnes, Sep 27, 2006
  6. Sorry John, You have to explain that one. I have a saphire Radeon graphics
    card. That gave another error when starting up CLI.EXE, so I removed it. Not
    into games anyway. What have graphics chips (nVidia) to do with not being
    able to access web sites? Seems more like a firewall or DNS issue to me. I
    noticed I can get to sites like www.bt.com but not to sites like
    http://home.bt.yahoo.com/ Note I have changed nothing on the ADSL router and
    if I plug my laptop into it everything works fine.

    Please any ideas?

    Marcus

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Sep 28, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

    Jane C Guest

    Marcus, John was referring to an nVidia motherboard chipset. nVidia have an
    awful firewall included in it, which seems to interfere with normal
    operations.

    Now, as to your problem with accessing websites, I had the same problem
    after installing XP x64. What I did was manually add my ISPs DNS server as
    alternative DNS server. My primary DNS server is my router address. That
    cured the problem of only being able to get to certain websites. We have
    fixed internal IPs here too, instead of obtaining them automatically from
    the routers DHCP.

    PS: Catalyst Control Centre, of which CLI.exe is a part, is not really
    needed. I only install the display drivers these days.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Sep 28, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Good idea. One reason or another his requests are not making it out for a
    full Domain Name search.

    John Barnes, Sep 28, 2006
  9. Jane,
    I followed your advice and my problem disapeared like magic. Thank you so
    much!! The info about CLI.EXE is also good to know. I have only one remaining
    problem with outlook. I can get at my pop3 account to download messages, but
    it won't send. The address of the smtp server is mail.btinternet.com. A test
    connection is successfully made, but it won't send the test message. It uses
    or should use standard port 25. I use the same setting on my mobile phone and
    laoptop so I know there is no user error. Getting there slowly ;-)
    Marcus

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Sep 29, 2006
  10. Take a look at your TC/IP version if you have version 6 some web pages do not
    support it try removing it... Then reboot and see if this does the trick

    =?Utf-8?B?c2lkZXRvbmV1c2E=?=, Oct 3, 2006
  11. With regard to SMTP ans POP3 settings, I have now established, that even
    though 'test account settings' gives an error, the actual pop3 and smtp
    seting used work fine when pressing 'send receive' in Outlook. Mail was sent
    and received straight away, even though the test message of Microsoft XP 64
    bit was rejected. So this is clearly a 'bug' in the email setup part of
    'control panel'. It tells you "these setting aren't going to work", while in
    actual fact they work perfectly well!

    Going back to the original thread topic, when explorer says it can't load
    Google and a few other web pages, it turns out it is noting to do with 32 bit
    or 64 bit support in IE. The the real underlying problem is that the
    operating system cannot resolve some domain names like bt.yahoo.com and god
    knows what obscure pages Google refers us to under the bonnet. The answer to
    this was in the end to add all my ISP's domain name servers in the advanced
    part of the TCP/IP configuration. What worries me is that these things are
    clearly 'bugs' which we have to find obscure work arounds for. It would be
    reassuring if someone in Microsoft acknowledged they picked this up and will
    fix it in a future release, or people will keep going through the same pain
    over and over again.
    Marcus

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Oct 8, 2006