    day.

    What do you think?

    Christian
    Christian Knoblauch, Dec 17, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Christian Knoblauch <> wrote:
    :I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask, why are you
    :using cisco
    :routers and not other vendors? Cisco is quite expensive and you need a
    :lot of training and understandig what you are doing to use the
    :devices. We are still in the process to find out what is right for us.
    :My main argument is flexibility and the many features we might use one
    :day.

    Support, documentation, reliability record, flexibility, resale
    value...

    As a *rough* guideline:

    - if the products are cheap, buy what you need only over the near term
    and don't worry about later; if you needs change, you can buy another
    model, and the prices for it would likely have fallen by then too.

    - if the products are expensive, then "overbuy" on capacity
    and flexibility, because you are probably going to be stuck with that
    device for years and asked to make it work in ways you didn't expect
    when you bought it.

    But it depends on your circumstances. If you can buy cheap now and
    put the money into savings that you can definitely get at when you need
    it, then that might make more sense. You don't want to be locked into
    paying $20000 for an interface for product that cost $50000
    4 years ago if you can instead replace the entire device this year
    for $2000 because technology prices have fallen so far. But if you have
    money now and can look ahead and see that in 4 years you might be counting
    pennies and the money is going to "go away" if you don't use it, then
    overbuying might make sense...
    --
    Inevitably, someone will flame me about this .signature.
    Walter Roberson, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Christian Knoblauch

    Velvetfog Guest

    Dear Christian,

    Cisco routers are used worldwide by both corporations and telephone
    companies so extensively that it is essentially Cisco brand routers that
    holds the entire Internet together.

    Why Cisco? Because Cisco is both the best and the market dominating
    brand in enterprise routers.

    Yes, Cisco's IOS (Internet Operating System)command structure is quite
    complicated, especially if you are a novice to it. It is designed to
    allow professionals to connect very dissimilar networks together, as
    well as allow for the routing of multiple protocols, not just IP over
    Ethernet. However, once a Cisco router is properly configured, it can
    run reliably and unattended for years.

    The reason Cisco gear is expensive, even if when it is old and used
    equipment, is because there are so many of us around the world that
    still want it. It is the same with cars. Why do you think a used BMW is
    so much more expensive than a used Ford?

    But, if you only need a little router for your home broadband
    connection, then I recommend you get a little Linksys BEFSR41 unit and
    forget about the professional Cisco gear.

    VelvetFog
    --------------------------

    Velvetfog, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Christian Knoblauch

    reshman Guest

    Here is what I'd add to the other postings:
    - Cisco provided excellent support if you have problems. I have not seen
    any other vendors touch Cisco's support organization.
    - Their stuff works, and they fix it if it doesn't (for the most part). I
    have equipment in our network where we have been fighting the
    same problem for about a year. Vendor doesn't have a clue what is wrong.
    - Chances are, if you want to do it, Cisco supports it. Try finding another
    vendor that supports all of the features that Cisco does in one box -- it
    will be tough.
    - In 5 years, Cisco will most likely still be around.
    - Their equipment lasts quite a while technology-wise.
    - You have great forums like this one to help out!!!!

    If you are really looking to go cheap, then look at your favorite flavor of
    Unix with the Zebra routing package loaded on it. The Zebra interface
    is similar to Cisco and it seems to work pretty slick. However, I am only
    running it in a small environment at home, so I can't claim to have
    extensive
    experience with it.

    Hope that helps.

    -Mike

    reshman, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Velvetfog <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dear Christian,
    >
    > Cisco routers are used worldwide by both corporations and telephone
    > companies so extensively that it is essentially Cisco brand routers that
    > holds the entire Internet together.
    >
    > Why Cisco? Because Cisco is both the best and the market dominating
    > brand in enterprise routers.
    >
    > Yes, Cisco's IOS (Internet Operating System)command structure is quite
    > complicated, especially if you are a novice to it. It is designed to
    > allow professionals to connect very dissimilar networks together, as
    > well as allow for the routing of multiple protocols, not just IP over
    > Ethernet. However, once a Cisco router is properly configured, it can
    > run reliably and unattended for years.
    >
    > The reason Cisco gear is expensive, even if when it is old and used
    > equipment, is because there are so many of us around the world that
    > still want it. It is the same with cars. Why do you think a used BMW is
    > so much more expensive than a used Ford?
    >
    > But, if you only need a little router for your home broadband
    > connection, then I recommend you get a little Linksys BEFSR41 unit and
    > forget about the professional Cisco gear.
    >

    > VelvetFog
    > --------------------------
    > Christian Knoblauch wrote:
    > > Dear Forum,
    > >
    > > I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask, why are you
    > > using cisco
    > > routers and not other vendors? Cisco is quite expensive and you need a
    > > lot of training and understandig what you are doing to use the
    > > devices. We are still in the process to find out what is right for us.
    > > My main argument is flexibility and the many features we might use one
    > > day.
    > >
    > > What do you think?
    > >
    > > Christian

    > Why Cisco? Because Cisco is both the best and the market dominating
    > brand in enterprise routers.

    Cisco are certainly the market dominating brand, but as to whether
    they are the best is a matter of opinion and it depends on who you
    talk to. I've worked with other brands such as Bay (Nortel) and IBM.
    Each has their own strong points (although come to think of it, none
    spring to mind in the case of the IBM routers I worked with!!).

    If you are setting up a corporate router/switch environment, you are
    going to need training whichever brand you buy, and every
    manufacturers' high-end equipment is expensive.

    Having said all that, I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying Cisco.
    It is excellent equipment with a huge range of choices for different
    environments. Just don't dismiss other brands out of hand.

    Pete
    Pete Mainwaring, Dec 18, 2003
  6. The last place I worked at had 480+ Csco switches and routers. I
    worked on them for 5+ years. We had a closet full of 20+ switches get
    wet from leaking pipes above the closet (water was leaking for days).
    I dried out the switches and all but (2) came back up. The (2) just
    needed the ios reloaded and then they came back up. In 5+ years I only
    had (2) switches go bad that (I) conldn't fix. Cisco works and works
    and works.....

    gene martinez, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Dear Forum,

    thanks a lot for your answers! We startet using some 831 for a few
    weeks now an not problems yet. Regarding you postings we did probably
    a good choice. Some other vendors made me a lot of trouble, I hope the
    831 will run as they started :)

    Best,
    Christian
    Christian Knoblauch, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Christian Knoblauch

    Scott Guest

    (Christian Knoblauch) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dear Forum,
    >
    > thanks a lot for your answers! We startet using some 831 for a few
    > weeks now an not problems yet. Regarding you postings we did probably
    > a good choice. Some other vendors made me a lot of trouble, I hope the
    > 831 will run as they started :)
    >
    > Best,
    > Christian

    Another option is to buy used/refurb Cisco gear and save some money.
    Make sure you are offered a warranty and ask enough questions.

    Scott Spencer
    Recurrent Technologies Inc.
    www.recurrent.com
    Scott, Dec 23, 2003