why all the returned mail?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by martin loomis, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. In the last week I have received 23 returned as undeliverable,etc. e-mails
    to addresses I never sent to and have no clue who they are. Norton antivirus
    is upto date, it finds no viruses, zone alarm running, NAT firewall, run the
    latest worm checks, blaster and all that stuff, any idea what's going on?
    All these notice's that mail I never sent was not delivered confuses the
    hell out of me. By the way I'm using XP, norton2003. If the addresses of the
    recipients of the undelivered e-mails gives any clue they are:

    any ideas about what's going on are appreciated-TIA
    martin loomis, Sep 27, 2003

  2. martin loomis

    Richard Guest

    martin wrote:

    > In the last week I have received 23 returned as undeliverable,etc.
    > e-mails
    > to addresses I never sent to and have no clue who they are. Norton
    > antivirus
    > is upto date, it finds no viruses, zone alarm running, NAT firewall,
    > run the
    > latest worm checks, blaster and all that stuff, any idea what's going
    > on?
    > All these notice's that mail I never sent was not delivered confuses
    > the
    > hell out of me.

    Norton has been known not to catch some viruses. AVG from grisoft.com
    appears to be a better choice.
    From the pattern of the addy's, it looks like someone, or a program, is
    generating random letters and attempting to find out if it's a valid addy or
    not.
    Check out the headers and see if there are any similarities or repeat
    sources.
    If your IP or ISP is shown, you have a virus.

    It's also possible somebody is using your addy to send out spam with.
    Known as a "joe job". Find the sources in the headers and contact each ISP
    or host.
    Richard, Sep 27, 2003

  3. martin loomis

    JustMe Guest

    I have the same problem with returned email. Seeing as how I only use my
    Outlook for this newsgroup, the mistake I made was to put my private email
    address as a contact when I post to the group. I have since changed my
    contact info. But someone out there still has my email addy. I also
    contacted .

    JustMe, Sep 27, 2003
  4. martin loomis

    Guest Guest

    How do you find out if your IP or ISP is showing?

    BJ

    Guest, Sep 28, 2003
  5. martin loomis

    Sharon Guest

    martin loomis wrote:

    > In the last week I have received 23 returned as undeliverable,etc. e-mails
    > to addresses I never sent to and have no clue who they are. Norton antivirus
    > is upto date, it finds no viruses, zone alarm running, NAT firewall, run the
    > latest worm checks, blaster and all that stuff, any idea what's going on?
    > All these notice's that mail I never sent was not delivered confuses the
    > hell out of me. By the way I'm using XP, norton2003. If the addresses of the
    > recipients of the undelivered e-mails gives any clue they are:

    > any ideas about what's going on are appreciated-TIA

    I have received lots of returned email with the same return addresses in
    the past week. They started the same time as the Swen Worm hit and is
    related to that. Just delete them as soon as they come in.

    Sharon

    Sharon, Sep 28, 2003