    recover my data by injesting them into the new install.

    Thanks
    Mark
    Argo22, Oct 3, 2010

  2. Argo22

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "Argo22" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
    > turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such
    > and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
    > not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
    > the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
    > can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
    > recover my data by injesting them into the new install.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able to tell you
    how to fix it.

    Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free to download
    and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mint *** The one I
    recommend is Knoppix.
    Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    Peter Foldes, Oct 3, 2010

  3. Argo22

    Argo22 Guest

    On Oct 3, 11:41 am, philo <> wrote:
    > On 10/03/2010 08:14 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >

    > > "Argo22" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
    > >> turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such
    > >> and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
    > >> not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
    > >> the trial dvd only gives me option ofnewinstall. Is there anyway i
    > >> can force a reinstall or can I do anewinstallon another drive and
    > >> recover my data by injesting them into thenewinstall.

    > >> Thanks
    > >> Mark

    > > If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able
    > > to tell you how to fix it.

    > > Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free
    > > to download and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix,
    > > Mint *** The one I recommend is Knoppix.
    > > Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

    > Good advice
    >
    > otherwise just pop the drive in another machine
    > and retrieve the data from there

    That was my first thought, but i took both the data drive out and the
    system/data drive out. the data only drive has 180GB of data but no
    listings of files, the other has the listings of files but no data.
    Anyway i can recover these without WHS? I am switching to a real raid
    backup and not going to use WHS anymore

    Thanks
    Mark
    Argo22, Oct 3, 2010
  4. Argo22

    philo Guest

    On 10/03/2010 08:50 AM, Argo22 wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 11:41 am, philo<> wrote:
    >> On 10/03/2010 08:14 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Argo22"<> wrote in message

    >>> If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able
    >>> to tell you how to fix it.

    >>> Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free
    >>> to download and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix,
    >>> Mint *** The one I recommend is Knoppix.
    >>> Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

    >> Good advice
    >>
    >> otherwise just pop the drive in another machine
    >> and retrieve the data from there

    > That was my first thought, but i took both the data drive out and the
    > system/data drive out. the data only drive has 180GB of data but no
    > listings of files, the other has the listings of files but no data.
    > Anyway i can recover these without WHS? I am switching to a real raid
    > backup and not going to use WHS anymore
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    If you are denied access to your data drive
    then you will need to take ownership

    Google for instructions

    this may be a situation where it's easier to just use the live Linux cd
    and copy the data to an external drive
    philo, Oct 3, 2010
  5. Argo22

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 06:50:50 -0700 (PDT), Argo22 <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 3, 11:41 am, philo <> wrote:
    >> On 10/03/2010 08:14 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Argo22" <> wrote in message

    >> > If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able
    >> > to tell you how to fix it.

    >> > Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free
    >> > to download and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix,
    >> > Mint *** The one I recommend is Knoppix.
    >> > Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

    >> Good advice
    >>
    >> otherwise just pop the drive in another machine
    >> and retrieve the data from there

    >That was my first thought, but i took both the data drive out and the
    >system/data drive out. the data only drive has 180GB of data but no
    >listings of files, the other has the listings of files but no data.
    >Anyway i can recover these without WHS? I am switching to a real raid
    >backup and not going to use WHS anymore
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mark

    Maybe a USB2 Hard drive adapter is something you could try.
    joevan, Oct 3, 2010
  6. Argo22

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 05:26:28 -0700, Argo22 wrote:

    > Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
    > turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such and
    > such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did not go
    > successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but the trial
    > dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i can force a
    > reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and recover my data
    > by injesting them into the new install.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    You can do a parallel install on the same drive but that drive may have
    defects if you are missing files for no other reason.

    Meat Plow, Oct 3, 2010
  7. Argo22

    chuckcar Guest

    Argo22 <> wrote in

    > Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
    > turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file.

    Depending on *what* file and the exact message, it could mean
    problems that mean the computer has hardware problems that would
    not allow *any* OS to be installed all the way down to you only
    needing to extract the file to fix the problem.

    >...for such
    > and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
    > not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
    > the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
    > can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
    > recover my data by injesting them into the new install.

    Slipping in a drive or booting from a CD that gives you an OS to work
    with. *if* you're familiar with using linux and/or X windows
    sufficiently, a linux boot CD could work for that. Otherwise, you could
    easily just make things worse. Safe mode wouldn't be a useful way unless
    you enable networking and have a working computer already networked to
    that computer so you can copy files to *it*. CD/DVD writing doesn't and
    never will work in safe mode.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 3, 2010
  8. Argo22

    Argo22 Guest

    On Oct 3, 4:04 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > Argo22 <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
    > > turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file.

    > Depending on *what* file and the exact message, it could mean
    > problems that mean the computer has hardware problems that would
    > not allow *any* OS to be installed all the way down to you only
    > needing to extract the file to fix the problem.
    >
    > >...for such
    > > and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
    > > not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
    > > the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
    > > can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
    > > recover my data by injesting them into the new install.

    > Slipping in a drive or booting from a CD that gives you an OS to work
    > with. *if* you're familiar with using linux and/or X windows
    > sufficiently, a linux boot CD could work for that. Otherwise, you could
    > easily just make things worse. Safe mode wouldn't be a useful way unless
    > you enable networking and have a working computer already networked to
    > that computer so you can copy files to *it*. CD/DVD writing doesn't and
    > never will work in safe mode.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

    Awesome thanks for the tip. the linux trick worked.

    THanks again
    Argo22, Oct 4, 2010