    People who need to get serious work done would be better off with either a
    Windows pc or a Mac.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11197

    impossible, Oct 17, 2009

  2. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Old folks with limited knowledge of computers. "Virtually everything
    > they do is web-oriented."

    If things keep moving in the direction that they are now, 99% of
    anything will be 'web-oriented' and all that is needed is a browser on a
    chip. No PC. No operating system. No Windows. No Linux. Just Google.
    Just a few thousand lines of code compiled onto a chip in a KVM device.
    Plug it into the socket on the wall and away you go.

    > People who need to get serious work done would be better off with either
    > a Windows pc or a Mac.
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11197

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 17, 2009

  3. impossible

    Max Burke Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    > >
    >> Old folks with limited knowledge of computers. "Virtually everything
    >> they do is web-oriented."
    >>

    > If things keep moving in the direction that they are now, 99% of
    > anything will be 'web-oriented' and all that is needed is a browser on a
    > chip. No PC. No operating system. No Windows. No Linux. Just Google.
    > Just a few thousand lines of code compiled onto a chip in a KVM device.
    > Plug it into the socket on the wall and away you go.

    Do you think we'll still be using a keyboard and mouse?

    We wont even need those...

    Just a touch screen (wall mounted, desktop, and hand held touch screens
    and voice recognition.)

    Closely followed in the near future by direct brain to computer control,
    hopefully not the other way...

    Based on several articles in Stuff and NZ Herald tech pages this week
    about home/personal computers having touch screens and voice recognition
    by default, and some UK scientists claiming they have conducted a
    successful experiment over the internet using brainwaves to send
    messages/commands to control a computer several kilometers away...

    It's just technology following science fiction story
    lines/scripts/futures again...

    >> People who need to get serious work done would be better off with
    >> either a Windows pc or a Mac.
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11197

    > Cheers,

    > Cliff

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Oct 17, 2009
  4. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Old folks with limited knowledge of computers. "Virtually
    >>> everything they do is web-oriented."
    >>>

    >> If things keep moving in the direction that they are now, 99% of
    >> anything will be 'web-oriented' and all that is needed is a browser
    >> on a chip. No PC. No operating system. No Windows. No Linux. Just
    >> Google. Just a few thousand lines of code compiled onto a chip in
    >> a KVM device. Plug it into the socket on the wall and away you go.

    > Do you think we'll still be using a keyboard and mouse?

    I think that they will be available, yes. They are just so simple and
    effective that I don't think that they will ever be completely replaced.

    > We wont even need those...
    >
    > Just a touch screen (wall mounted, desktop, and hand held touch
    > screens and voice recognition.)

    Touch screens, no. Anything involves smudgy fingerprints on what you are
    looking at is a little less than logical for more than simple kiosk type
    input (as well as not being terribly accurate - the touching area of
    your finger is of the order of 10mm wide. Position sensing is more
    sensible. Voice recognition is OK, but when composing your devastating
    riposte to that stupid email in the office, you don't want to be voicing
    your chosen 'bon mots' for everyone to hear.

    > Closely followed in the near future by direct brain to computer
    > control, hopefully not the other way...

    Hm, that might prove elusive...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 17, 2009
  5. On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:02:29 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Max Burke wrote:

    >>> If things keep moving in the direction that they are now, 99% of
    >>> anything will be 'web-oriented' and all that is needed is a browser
    >>> on a chip. No PC. No operating system. No Windows. No Linux. Just
    >>> Google. Just a few thousand lines of code compiled onto a chip in
    >>> a KVM device. Plug it into the socket on the wall and away you go.

    >> Do you think we'll still be using a keyboard and mouse?
    >>

    >I think that they will be available, yes. They are just so simple and
    >effective that I don't think that they will ever be completely replaced.
    >>
    >> We wont even need those...
    >>
    >> Just a touch screen (wall mounted, desktop, and hand held touch
    >> screens and voice recognition.)
    >>

    >Touch screens, no. Anything involves smudgy fingerprints on what you are
    >looking at is a little less than logical for more than simple kiosk type
    >input (as well as not being terribly accurate - the touching area of
    >your finger is of the order of 10mm wide. Position sensing is more
    >sensible. Voice recognition is OK, but when composing your devastating
    >riposte to that stupid email in the office, you don't want to be voicing
    >your chosen 'bon mots' for everyone to hear.

    And "voice OOS" is apparently much easier to get than standard OOS, if
    you are repeating the same words all the time to navigate your screen.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 18, 2009
  6. impossible

    victor Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> impossible wrote:
    >> >
    >>> Old folks with limited knowledge of computers. "Virtually everything
    >>> they do is web-oriented."
    >>>

    >> If things keep moving in the direction that they are now, 99% of
    >> anything will be 'web-oriented' and all that is needed is a browser on
    >> a chip. No PC. No operating system. No Windows. No Linux. Just Google.
    >> Just a few thousand lines of code compiled onto a chip in a KVM
    >> device. Plug it into the socket on the wall and away you go.

    > Do you think we'll still be using a keyboard and mouse?
    >
    > We wont even need those...
    >
    > Just a touch screen (wall mounted, desktop, and hand held touch screens
    > and voice recognition.)

    Thats all currently available, You can use an ipod touch or iphone to
    control all sorts of media systems now. Even if you never use it as a
    PMP, an 8GB ipod touch is a bargain.
    homebrewed http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/
    packaged
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009...rnet-connected-speaker-for-iphone-ipod-touch/
    http://www.appstoreapps.com/2008/09/13/xbmc-remote/
    http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/ar...f-iphone-home-automation-applications?start=1
    http://www.ilinx.info/iLinx/iLinX_Home.html

    victor, Oct 18, 2009
  7. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-17, impossible <> wrote:
    > Old folks with limited knowledge of computers. "Virtually everything they do
    > is web-oriented."

    Shit, the troll has spoken an element of truth which is so far forward that
    her brain does not not know.

    > People who need to get serious work done would be better off with either a
    > Windows pc or a Mac.

    Right. PC as in persoanl computer yes? Right get some history study under
    your belt.

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11197

    Well everyone is expected to have an opinion.

    Gordon, Oct 18, 2009
  8. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-10-17, impossible <> wrote:
    >> Old folks with limited knowledge of computers. "Virtually everything they
    >> do
    >> is web-oriented."

    > Shit, the troll has spoken an element of truth which is so far forward
    > that
    > her brain does not not know.

    Ms Penguin feels compelled to spin this story. Why?

    >> People who need to get serious work done would be better off with either
    >> Windows pc or a Mac.

    > Right. PC as in persoanl computer yes? Right get some history study under
    > your belt.

    Nonsense dribbles from Ms Penguin's gullet once again.

    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11197

    > Well everyone is expected to have an opinion.

    And 99 percent have chosen Windows or Mac.

    impossible, Oct 18, 2009