    Spybot Worm from the computer. Before cleaning it, I had a list as long as
    ... well .. a really really long thing via 'netstat'

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 2, 2005

  2. On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:08:15 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > clark.m4.ntu.edu.tw
    >
    > I tried a whois server and didnt get much info on it. Can anyone help
    > shedding some light on this address.
    >
    > Computer connects to it after dialling up, found out via 'netstat' but
    > doesnt actually do anything .. just times out. This is after I cleared out a
    > Spybot Worm from the computer. Before cleaning it, I had a list as long as
    > .. well .. a really really long thing via 'netstat'
    >
    > Rider

    ew..
    that address resolves to 140.112.214.93 (as you probably already know)
    which is in the range for
    netname: T-NTU.EDU.TW-NET
    descr: Ministry of Education Computer Center
    descr: 2F, No 106, Sec.2,Hping E. Rd.,
    descr: Taipei Taiwan
    (which you probably already also knew)
    Im curious which port on that machine ( the .edu.tw machine) connected to
    port 80's closed

    HTH

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 2, 2005

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:08:15 +1300, Rider wrote:
    >
    >> clark.m4.ntu.edu.tw
    >>
    >> I tried a whois server and didnt get much info on it. Can anyone help
    >> shedding some light on this address.
    >>
    >> Computer connects to it after dialling up, found out via 'netstat' but
    >> doesnt actually do anything .. just times out. This is after I cleared
    >> out a
    >> Spybot Worm from the computer. Before cleaning it, I had a list as long
    >> as
    >> .. well .. a really really long thing via 'netstat'
    >>
    >> Rider

    > ew..
    > that address resolves to 140.112.214.93 (as you probably already know)
    > which is in the range for
    > netname: T-NTU.EDU.TW-NET
    > descr: Ministry of Education Computer Center
    > descr: 2F, No 106, Sec.2,Hping E. Rd.,
    > descr: Taipei Taiwan
    > (which you probably already also knew)
    > Im curious which port on that machine ( the .edu.tw machine) connected to
    > port 80's closed
    >
    > HTH

    Cheers for that, bit odd ... the infected file was named 'TFTP1376' .... no
    extension. There was also a TFTP1175 with no extension so I deleted it even
    though it wasnt infected.

    The interesting thing for all those AVG fans, is that AVG was completely
    upto date and never found the Spybot Worm. This is why I'm not a fan of
    AVG.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Rider

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in

    message
    > > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:08:15 +1300, Rider wrote:
    > >
    > >> clark.m4.ntu.edu.tw
    > >>
    > >> I tried a whois server and didnt get much info on it. Can anyone help
    > >> shedding some light on this address.
    > >>
    > >> Computer connects to it after dialling up, found out via 'netstat' but
    > >> doesnt actually do anything .. just times out. This is after I cleared
    > >> out a
    > >> Spybot Worm from the computer. Before cleaning it, I had a list as long
    > >> as
    > >> .. well .. a really really long thing via 'netstat'
    > >>
    > >> Rider

    > > ew..
    > > that address resolves to 140.112.214.93 (as you probably already know)
    > > which is in the range for
    > > netname: T-NTU.EDU.TW-NET
    > > descr: Ministry of Education Computer Center
    > > descr: 2F, No 106, Sec.2,Hping E. Rd.,
    > > descr: Taipei Taiwan
    > > (which you probably already also knew)
    > > Im curious which port on that machine ( the .edu.tw machine) connected

    > > port 80's closed
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >

    > Cheers for that, bit odd ... the infected file was named 'TFTP1376' ....

    no
    > extension. There was also a TFTP1175 with no extension so I deleted it

    even
    > though it wasnt infected.
    >
    > The interesting thing for all those AVG fans, is that AVG was completely
    > upto date and never found the Spybot Worm. This is why I'm not a fan of
    > AVG.

    Virus scanners can't compare to a good Trojan Hunter. Try Trojanhunter from
    mischel. Diamond Port Explorer is another good tool.

    Craig Sutton, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Rider

    Guest

    Tiny FTP perhaps http://filext.com/info/printthread.php?t=10

    >The interesting thing for all those AVG fans, is that AVG was completely
    >upto date and never found the Spybot Worm. This is why I'm not a fan of
    >AVG.
    >
    >Rider

    , Mar 2, 2005
  6. In article <sgbVd.5792$>,
    says...

    > The interesting thing for all those AVG fans, is that AVG was completely
    > upto date and never found the Spybot Worm. This is why I'm not a fan of
    > AVG.
    >
    > Rider

    LOL. I just changed from Norton to AVG because Norton didn't find a bug
    on my system but AVG did .... what really had me scratching my head was
    the fact that the virus had been posted on Sophos in November '04 and
    Norton didn't know about it until I submitted it around the end of
    January and they recognized it as off February 11th (which is when they
    got back to me about it anyway).

    Not exactly on the ball there ...
    ... but ultimately I guess nobody can be, all of the time.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 2, 2005
  7. Rider

    Pamorn Guest

    Hi,

    I have the name of clark.m4.ntu.edu.tw:19899 appeared on 'netstat'
    result of my server also. I suspected that my server got infected
    with a worm. Can anyone help identifying which kind of worm on my
    server? I did research on the W32.Spybot.Worm from
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html
    There was no matching technical detail found on my server.

    Pamorn

    Pamorn, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:27:04 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in
    >>message

    >>> ew..
    >>> that address resolves to 140.112.214.93 (as you probably already know)
    >>> which is in the range for
    >>> netname: T-NTU.EDU.TW-NET
    >>> descr: Ministry of Education Computer Center
    >>> descr: 2F, No 106, Sec.2,Hping E. Rd.,
    >>> descr: Taipei Taiwan
    >>> (which you probably already also knew)
    >>> Im curious which port on that machine ( the .edu.tw machine) connected
    >>> port 80's closed
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >>Cheers for that, bit odd ... the infected file was named 'TFTP1376' ....
    >>no
    >>extension. There was also a TFTP1175 with no extension so I deleted it
    >>even
    >>though it wasnt infected.

    > Tiny FTP perhaps http://filext.com/info/printthread.php?t=10

    Yeah I thought it might be an FTP program, but couldnt find any indications
    they had one loaded. And I dont think they had time to load one as it was a
    clean install ... they managed to get infected 3 hours after picking up the
    computer

    LoL

    Rider, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <sgbVd.5792$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> The interesting thing for all those AVG fans, is that AVG was completely
    >> upto date and never found the Spybot Worm. This is why I'm not a fan of
    >> AVG.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > LOL. I just changed from Norton to AVG because Norton didn't find a bug
    > on my system but AVG did .... what really had me scratching my head was
    > the fact that the virus had been posted on Sophos in November '04 and
    > Norton didn't know about it until I submitted it around the end of
    > January and they recognized it as off February 11th (which is when they
    > got back to me about it anyway).
    >
    > Not exactly on the ball there ...
    > ... but ultimately I guess nobody can be, all of the time.
    >
    > -Peter

    And to an extent I agree with you, but I've had up to date AVG systems
    before that have been wiped out by viruses. The prevalence of AVG missing
    stuff is far higher than Norton ... in my experience anyway.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 2, 2005
  10. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:53:30 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:27:04 +1300, "Rider"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote in
    >>>message

    >>>Cheers for that, bit odd ... the infected file was named 'TFTP1376' ....
    >>>no
    >>>extension. There was also a TFTP1175 with no extension so I deleted it
    >>>even
    >>>though it wasnt infected.

    >> Tiny FTP perhaps http://filext.com/info/printthread.php?t=10
    >>

    > Yeah I thought it might be an FTP program, but couldnt find any indications
    > they had one loaded. And I dont think they had time to load one as it was a
    > clean install ... they managed to get infected 3 hours after picking up the
    > computer
    >
    > LoL

    I had a look on google for that TFTP1376 and found only 3 hits.. all
    talking about worms (in germany and russia)
    although that other file you mentioned didnt come back.. it was a safe bet
    it was more of the same

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 2, 2005
  11. Rider

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:53:30 +1300, Rider wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Tiny FTP perhaps http://filext.com/info/printthread.php?t=10
    >>>

    >> Yeah I thought it might be an FTP program, but couldnt find any
    >> indications
    >> they had one loaded. And I dont think they had time to load one as it was
    >> clean install ... they managed to get infected 3 hours after picking up
    >> the
    >> computer
    >>
    >> LoL

    > I had a look on google for that TFTP1376 and found only 3 hits.. all
    > talking about worms (in germany and russia)
    > although that other file you mentioned didnt come back.. it was a safe bet
    > it was more of the same
    > --

    Yeah I think we got the same 3 hits LoL

    I've really had a guts full of this guy and his pc. He brought it to me
    because he was infected and asked me to reload Win98 from scratch ---- no
    problem. Got the machine all up and going, tested everything including modem
    and internet conenction. Loaded AVG for him as he asked me to do (shudder).

    He had the machine one night and brought it back, couldnt get the modem to
    work. Bit odd I thought as it worked fine here. Turns out he loaed XP over
    the top and the crappy Pragmatic modem didnt like it. I gave up trying to
    get it to work after about 3 hours of trying and plonked in a new crappy
    modem LOL At least it worked.

    He picked it up and had it only 3 hours before the virus infection and had
    to bring it back. Now this is a PII 400, something of that ilk. If I'd known
    he planned on putting XP on it, I would have just loaded that from scratch.

    Silly boy.

    Cheers for the info you provided with this.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 2, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > I had a look on google for that TFTP1376 and found only 3 hits.. all
    > talking about worms (in germany and russia)
    > although that other file you mentioned didnt come back.. it was a safe bet
    > it was more of the same

    Since I know some German I had a look.

    They are discussing the nimda virus and the code red worm. Unfortunately
    I didn't manage to track down a link to an English language site in that
    context. Regardless, both of those are some 4 years old ...

    Apparently tftp = trivial file transfer protocol, payload mechanism is
    execution of code via buffer overflow.

    The Code Red is mentioned in connection with ddos attacks.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 3, 2005
  13. In article <OSoVd.6052$>,
    says...

    > And to an extent I agree with you, but I've had up to date AVG systems
    > before that have been wiped out by viruses. The prevalence of AVG missing
    > stuff is far higher than Norton ... in my experience anyway.
    >
    > Rider

    Thx, I will keep that in mind. Important input ....

    regds, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 3, 2005
  14. Rider

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I had a look on google for that TFTP1376 and found only 3 hits.. all
    >> talking about worms (in germany and russia)
    >> although that other file you mentioned didnt come back.. it was a safe
    >> bet
    >> it was more of the same

    > Since I know some German I had a look.
    >
    > They are discussing the nimda virus and the code red worm. Unfortunately
    > I didn't manage to track down a link to an English language site in that
    > context. Regardless, both of those are some 4 years old ...
    >
    > Apparently tftp = trivial file transfer protocol, payload mechanism is
    > execution of code via buffer overflow.
    >
    > The Code Red is mentioned in connection with ddos attacks.
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter

    The ddos attack doesnt surprise me. Before I cleaned the machine I connected
    to the net and ran netstat. I had literally connected to about 6 pages worth
    of IP addresses via command prompt in XP .... you could have used the screen
    as a fan it was listing the sites so quickly LOL

    Cheers

    Rider, Mar 3, 2005
  15. Rider

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <e1pVd.6055$> in nz.comp on Thu, 3
    Mar 2005 09:06:34 +1300, Rider <> says...

    > He picked it up and had it only 3 hours before the virus infection and had
    > to bring it back. Now this is a PII 400, something of that ilk. If I'd known
    > he planned on putting XP on it, I would have just loaded that from scratch.

    PII 400 running XP?
    You must be joking - unless it has at least 256 MB of RAM

    SchoolTech, Mar 6, 2005
  16. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > In article <e1pVd.6055$> in nz.comp on Thu, 3
    > Mar 2005 09:06:34 +1300, Rider <> says...
    >
    >> He picked it up and had it only 3 hours before the virus infection and
    >> had
    >> to bring it back. Now this is a PII 400, something of that ilk. If I'd
    >> known
    >> he planned on putting XP on it, I would have just loaded that from
    >> scratch.

    > PII 400 running XP?
    > You must be joking - unless it has at least 256 MB of RAM

    LoL ... nope, 128Mb of RAM .... I didnt say it ran very well

    :)

    Also, this is over a Win98 install ... with 3 logins LOL
    Its an old Compaq Deskpro, small desktop case, laptop cd rom ... not sure of
    model of deskpro ... couldnt find the model number. He would be better off
    just having 98.

    Rider, Mar 6, 2005
  17. SchoolTech wrote:
    >>He picked it up and had it only 3 hours before the virus infection and had
    >>to bring it back. Now this is a PII 400, something of that ilk. If I'd known
    >>he planned on putting XP on it, I would have just loaded that from scratch.

    > PII 400 running XP?
    > You must be joking - unless it has at least 256 MB of RAM

    shit, am I the only one with no worries running XP on almost minimum specs.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 6, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> He picked it up and had it only 3 hours before the virus infection
    >>> and had to bring it back. Now this is a PII 400, something of that
    >>> ilk. If I'd known he planned on putting XP on it, I would have just
    >>> loaded that from scratch.

    >> PII 400 running XP?
    >> You must be joking - unless it has at least 256 MB of RAM

    > shit, am I the only one with no worries running XP on almost minimum specs.

    to clarify, P2-233 128Mb ram... turned off all the pretty eye candy,
    right click on "my computer" properties, advanced, performance,
    settings, "adjust for best performance"... and thats about it.

    From then it was the same as using Win2k or 98.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 6, 2005
  19. Rider

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 07 Mar 2005
    12:44:33 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...

    > >> PII 400 running XP?
    > >> You must be joking - unless it has at least 256 MB of RAM

    > > shit, am I the only one with no worries running XP on almost minimum specs.

    > to clarify, P2-233 128Mb ram... turned off all the pretty eye candy,
    > right click on "my computer" properties, advanced, performance,
    > settings, "adjust for best performance"... and thats about it.
    >
    > From then it was the same as using Win2k or 98.

    We have a lot of old K6 400s and the like. A couple were tried on XP with
    128 MB but it was far better to put that memory into a Celeron 700 which
    gives much more acceptable performance. Of course it may just be that the
    Super7 architecture (SIS et al) is inferior in performance to the Intel
    chipsets of that era.

    I've seen a 266 running XP that had 512 MB in it. It seemed to work well.

    SchoolTech, Mar 7, 2005
  20. Rider

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> provided this moment of
    wisdom....

    >>> PII 400 running XP?
    >>> You must be joking - unless it has at least 256 MB of RAM

    >> shit, am I the only one with no worries running XP on almost minimum specs.

    >to clarify, P2-233 128Mb ram... turned off all the pretty eye candy,
    >right click on "my computer" properties, advanced, performance,
    >settings, "adjust for best performance"... and thats about it.
    >
    > From then it was the same as using Win2k or 98.

    Damn, I thought I had the lowest possible specs running XP. This box
    is a PII 333 with 256RAM. Runs like a dream - although, I don't throw
    any taxing tasks at.

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 7, 2005