whoa, big billy gates pr0n?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 24, 2005
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:23:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,

    >>> Apple Mac in the background? 1983?? Looks like an NDA violation...
    >>> Pardon while I emit the Blue Scream of Death.

    >>yep, been done to death on /.

    > Shouldn't that be "./"? "/." doesn't mean anything.

    surely you jest
    /. is shorthand for slashdot
    a little site popular amongst the masses

    froggy, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>Apple Mac in the background? 1983?? Looks like an NDA violation...
    >>>Pardon while I emit the Blue Scream of Death.

    >>yep, been done to death on /.

    > Shouldn't that be "./"? "/." doesn't mean anything.

    it should have read www.slashdot.org , but I though people would know
    what I meant.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> yep, been done to death on /.

    >> Shouldn't that be "./"? "/." doesn't mean anything.

    > it should have read www.slashdot.org , but I though people would know
    > what I meant.

    Or
    aitch tee tee pee colon slash slash slash dot dot org

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:47:42 +1300, froggy wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:23:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,

    >>>yep, been done to death on /.

    >> Shouldn't that be "./"? "/." doesn't mean anything.

    > surely you jest
    > /. is shorthand for slashdot
    > a little site popular amongst the masses

    lawrence takes a hit and loses 50 geek points :p
    roll dice to take another turn :p
    (I used to suck as dungeon master :\ )

    froggy, Jan 25, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    froggy <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:23:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,

    >>>yep, been done to death on /.

    >> Shouldn't that be "./"? "/." doesn't mean anything.

    >surely you jest
    >/. is shorthand for slashdot
    >a little site popular amongst the masses

    And what is the significance of the name, exactly?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 31, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:17:48 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > froggy <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:23:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Shouldn't that be "./"? "/." doesn't mean anything.

    >>surely you jest
    >>/. is shorthand for slashdot
    >>a little site popular amongst the masses

    > And what is the significance of the name, exactly?

    ahh ya got me there... i vaguely remember an exploit that was called
    slashdotting (/../../../../)
    grr this means I lose 50 geek points
    <hangs head in shame>

    froggy, Jan 31, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    froggy wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:17:48 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >> froggy <> wrote:

    >>>surely you jest
    >>>/. is shorthand for slashdot
    >>>a little site popular amongst the masses

    >>And what is the significance of the name, exactly?

    > ahh ya got me there... i vaguely remember an exploit that was called
    > slashdotting (/../../../../)
    > grr this means I lose 50 geek points
    > <hangs head in shame>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot
    The name "Slashdot" was invented to confuse people who try to spell the
    url of the site (h t t p colon slash slash slashdot dot org)

    Axle, Jan 31, 2005
  15. In article <>, Axle <>
    wrote:

    >froggy wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:17:48 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>And what is the significance of the name, exactly?

    >> ahh ya got me there... i vaguely remember an exploit that was called
    >> slashdotting (/../../../../)
    >> grr this means I lose 50 geek points
    >> <hangs head in shame>
    >>

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot
    >The name "Slashdot" was invented to confuse people who try to spell the
    >url of the site (h t t p colon slash slash slashdot dot org)

    Shouldn't that be "forward-slash-dot"?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 3, 2005
  16. In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    wrote:
    > In article <>, Axle <>
    > wrote:
    >>>

    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot
    >>The name "Slashdot" was invented to confuse people who try to spell
    >>the url of the site (h t t p colon slash slash slashdot dot org)

    > Shouldn't that be "forward-slash-dot"?

    Ha! Only if you're the sort of person who says 'forward-question mark'
    or 'right-way-up exclamation mark'.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 4, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Leon Noel Guest

    On , , 4 Feb 2005 06:39:40 GMT, Re: whoa, big billy gates pr0n?,
    Roger Johnstone <> wrote:

    >In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    >wrote:
    >> In article <>, Axle <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot
    >>>The name "Slashdot" was invented to confuse people who try to spell
    >>>the url of the site (h t t p colon slash slash slashdot dot org)

    >> Shouldn't that be "forward-slash-dot"?

    >Ha! Only if you're the sort of person who says 'forward-question mark'
    >or 'right-way-up exclamation mark'.

    Obviously you don't have a forward slash and a back slash on your
    keyboard like I do.

    Leon Noel, Feb 7, 2005
  18. In <> Leon Noel wrote:
    > On , , 4 Feb 2005 06:39:40 GMT, Re: whoa, big billy gates pr0n?,
    > Roger Johnstone <> wrote:
    >
    >>In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    >>wrote:

    >>> Shouldn't that be "forward-slash-dot"?

    >>Ha! Only if you're the sort of person who says 'forward-question mark'
    >>or 'right-way-up exclamation mark'.

    > Obviously you don't have a forward slash and a back slash on your
    > keyboard like I do.

    No, I just have a normal keyboard, with slash and backslash.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 7, 2005