    and why do they get called when I do account transactions in dvdunlimited? Just
    now I can't find out, and I was wondering if anybody else has the same happen.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 10, 2006

  2. Peter Huebner wrote:
    > My connection has suddenly gone very wonky tonight, newsfeed broke, browsing is
    > slow or doesn't happen at all. Been going on for the last hour and a half.
    >
    > Odd thing is this: I try to connect to dvdunlimited, and I get a status line in
    > firefox: waiting for ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck are they? How
    > and why do they get called when I do account transactions in dvdunlimited? Just
    > now I can't find out, and I was wondering if anybody else has the same happen.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    Telstra/clear have had major issues for the last few days.

    google-analytics stuff is on many webpages.

    The Firefox Adblock and Noscript extensions may be of some assistance to you.
    Mark Robinson, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Peter Huebner

    Rob Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > My connection has suddenly gone very wonky tonight, newsfeed broke, browsing is
    > slow or doesn't happen at all. Been going on for the last hour and a half.
    >
    > Odd thing is this: I try to connect to dvdunlimited, and I get a status line in
    > firefox: waiting for ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck are they? How
    > and why do they get called when I do account transactions in dvdunlimited? Just
    > now I can't find out, and I was wondering if anybody else has the same happen.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    From dvdunlimited's page

    <script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js"
    type="text/javascript">
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    _uacct = "UA-547757-1";
    urchinTracker();
    </script>

    urchin.js is a script to analyze traffic on the site.
    --
    Rob

    I bet the human brain is a kluge. (Marvin Minsky)
    Rob, Oct 10, 2006
  4. Peter Huebner

    Chris Hope Guest

    http://www.google.com/analytics/

    > How and why do they get called when I do account transactions in
    > dvdunlimited?

    There will be a little bit of javascript code in every page on
    dvdunlimited which reports back to Google various bits of information.
    This is then stored and turned into pretty graphs etc so they can get
    an idea of visitors numbers and other stuff. It uses a piece of
    software Google bought called Urchin.

    Chris Hope, Oct 10, 2006
  5. "Rob" <> wrote in message news:452be2b1$...
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> My connection has suddenly gone very wonky tonight, newsfeed broke,
    >> browsing is slow or doesn't happen at all. Been going on for the last
    >> hour and a half.
    >>
    >> Odd thing is this: I try to connect to dvdunlimited, and I get a status
    >> line in firefox: waiting for ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck
    >> are they? How and why do they get called when I do account transactions
    >> in dvdunlimited? Just now I can't find out, and I was wondering if
    >> anybody else has the same happen.
    >>
    >> cheers, -Peter
    >>

    > From dvdunlimited's page
    >
    > <script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js"
    > type="text/javascript">
    > </script>
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > _uacct = "UA-547757-1";
    > urchinTracker();
    > </script>
    >
    > urchin.js is a script to analyze traffic on the site.
    > --

    Exactly. Nothing evil. It just help site owners determine traffic,
    referrals, location, busiest day of week, time of the day and other things.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Oct 10, 2006
  6. In article <452bf6e3$>, lid says...

    > > urchin.js is a script to analyze traffic on the site.
    > > --

    > Exactly. Nothing evil. It just help site owners determine traffic,
    > referrals, location, busiest day of week, time of the day and other things.

    Thanks guys. Looks like Iconz was having 'issues' early this morning, and
    everything works fine again now. I was made suspicious by the fact that traffic
    always stalled on that particular url being accessed ...

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 10, 2006
  7. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > My connection has suddenly gone very wonky tonight, newsfeed broke,
    > browsing is slow or doesn't happen at all. Been going on for the last
    > hour and a half.
    >
    > Odd thing is this: I try to connect to dvdunlimited, and I get a
    > status line in firefox: waiting for ssl.google-analytics.com Now
    > who the heck are they? How and why do they get called when I do
    > account transactions in dvdunlimited? Just now I can't find out, and
    > I was wondering if anybody else has the same happen.
    >
    > cheers, -Peter

    Google ads. I see this on so many websites it's not funny.

    Google analytics, through their widespread adoption and use of cookies,
    probably know more about you than your wife does.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    > > waiting for ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck are they?

    > http://www.google.com/analytics/

    Q: And why do Google offer it free?

    A: Because they get access to all that lovely info as well.

    This is the new age, info/stats/etc. is more valuable than gold.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Peter Huebner

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-10, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > Odd thing is this: I try to connect to dvdunlimited, and I get a status line in
    > firefox: waiting for ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck are they?

    they make the google-ads.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 11, 2006
  10. In article <452c3b72$>,
    says...

    > Google ads. I see this on so many websites it's not funny.
    >
    > Google analytics, through their widespread adoption and use of cookies,
    > probably know more about you than your wife does.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Heh, I don't see the ads ...
    ... incidentally, are you still happy with Actrix? I am going to wait and see
    what will happen with the new offers/pricing after unbundling actually happens,
    but at the moment I am not impressed by Iconz' latest 'plans', not to mention
    that I often have problems around 1-3 am.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 11, 2006
  11. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <452c3b72$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Google ads. I see this on so many websites it's not funny.
    > >
    > > Google analytics, through their widespread adoption and use of
    > > cookies, probably know more about you than your wife does.
    > > --
    > > Shaun.

    > Heh, I don't see the ads ...
    > ... incidentally, are you still happy with Actrix? I am going to wait
    > and see what will happen with the new offers/pricing after unbundling
    > actually happens, but at the moment I am not impressed by Iconz'
    > latest 'plans', not to mention that I often have problems around 1-3
    > am.

    Yes, Actrix has proved to be the best ISP that I've used to date, I rate
    them highly. I don't know what they'll be like price-wise when the 'new
    plans' trickle through. However, I have absolutely no reason to consider
    changing ISP at the moment.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2006
  12. Peter Huebner

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 02:23:53 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck are they?

    More useless junk I have turned off with AdBlock in Mozilla/Firefox

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Oct 12, 2006
  13. "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 02:23:53 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> ssl.google-analytics.com Now who the heck are they?

    > More useless junk I have turned off with AdBlock in Mozilla/Firefox

    Useless junk for you may not be for someone else. I need to know for example
    what's my traffic pattern so I can reboot the server when installing more
    memory, or when to release news stories with a bigger audience.

    It's a science.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Oct 12, 2006