    "the CIA"

    Now I do not want to get into complicated yes-no-maybe responses. In the
    spirit of a trivia quiz, what organisation would you accept?

    fruitbat, Sep 26, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    Ionizer Guest

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    news:415655b3$0$29423$...
    > I went to a trivia quiz last night.
    > One question asked "which organisation was responsible for the starting

    of
    > the internet."?
    >
    > I answered "the USA military" but was marked wrong. The accepted answer

    was
    > "the CIA"
    >
    > Now I do not want to get into complicated yes-no-maybe responses. In the
    > spirit of a trivia quiz, what organisation would you accept?

    ARPANET was a US Department of Defense project, so I'd give you the points
    for your answer and send you on to the bonus round.

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 26, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    derek / nul Guest

    http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/

    derek / nul, Sep 26, 2004
  4. fruitbat

    HF Guest

    Pity you didnt ask Jeeves. www.jeeves.com
    http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http://web.ask.com/web?q=who+star
    ted%2bthe%2binternet%26o%3d0%26page%3d1&q=who+started+the+internet&u=http%3a
    %2f%2ftm.wc.ask.com%2fr%3ft%3dan%26s%3da%26uid%3d0BEB7C9F55CEC5214%26sid%3d1
    25C9AB9F43296514%26qid%3dF036AD395A16754E99C5079ECA4C45B4%26io%3d0%26sv%3dza
    5cb0d8c%26o%3d0%26ask%3dwho%2bstarted%2bthe%2binternet%26uip%3d51071069%26en
    %3dte%26eo%3d-100%26pt%3dThe%2bHistory%2bof%2bthe%2bInternet%26ac%3d7%26qs%3
    d0%26pg%3d1%26ep%3d1%26te_par%3d102%26te_id%3d%26u%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.davesi
    te.com%2fwebstation%2fnet-history.shtml&s=a&bu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.davesite.com
    %2fwebstation%2fnet-history.shtml&qte=0&o=0 Click on this or paste it.
    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > I went to a trivia quiz last night.
    > One question asked "which organisation was responsible for the starting of
    > the internet."?
    >
    > I answered "the USA military" but was marked wrong. The accepted answer

    was
    > "the CIA"
    >
    > Now I do not want to get into complicated yes-no-maybe responses. In the
    > spirit of a trivia quiz, what organisation would you accept?

    ---

    HF, Sep 26, 2004
  5. fruitbat

    Chuck Guest

    EVERYONE KNOWS THAT AL GORE SINGLE-HANDEDLY STARTED THE INTERNET!!!

    Chuck, Sep 26, 2004
  6. fruitbat

    Thor Guest

    Pity you didn't use tiny url.
    www.tinyurl.com

    Thor, Sep 26, 2004
  7. fruitbat

    HF Guest

    askjeeves is now changed to www.ask.com
    Please note.

    HF, Sep 26, 2004
  8. fruitbat

    Bradley26 Guest

    there were networks to share information about nuke u lar research, because
    printing and mailing documents took too long

    there were networks used by defense/govt agencies for their own use

    at some point there was a release to the general public so anyone could have
    what amounted to telegraph lines

    so Id say on one hand the opening up to the public of existing networks
    started "the internet"

    Bradley26, Sep 26, 2004
  9. fruitbat

    Plato Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    > EVERYONE KNOWS THAT AL GORE SINGLE-HANDEDLY STARTED THE INTERNET!!!

    When he had the beard he looked like Riker from star trek.

    Plato, Sep 26, 2004
  10. fruitbat

    Martin Bock Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Chuck wrote:
    > >
    > > EVERYONE KNOWS THAT AL GORE SINGLE-HANDEDLY STARTED THE INTERNET!!!

    > When he had the beard he looked like Riker from star trek.

    fife doooars reqrd for mr busch
    aife aor ded
    tipĆ¼

    Martin Bock, Sep 26, 2004
  11. fruitbat

    me Guest

    fruitbat <> wrote in message
    > I went to a trivia quiz last night.
    > One question asked "which organisation was responsible for the starting of
    > the internet."?
    >
    > I answered "the USA military" but was marked wrong. The accepted answer

    was
    > "the CIA"
    >
    > Now I do not want to get into complicated yes-no-maybe responses. In the
    > spirit of a trivia quiz, what organisation would you accept?

    Bill Gates...naaah :)

    me, Sep 27, 2004
  12. >The accepted answer was
    >"the CIA"

    what bs.
    it was the DoD with the NSF.

    Developwebsites, Sep 27, 2004
  13. fruitbat

    Volund Guest

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    > I went to a trivia quiz last night.
    > One question asked "which organisation was responsible for the starting of
    > the internet."?
    >
    > I answered "the USA military" but was marked wrong. The accepted answer

    was
    > "the CIA"
    >
    > Now I do not want to get into complicated yes-no-maybe responses. In the
    > spirit of a trivia quiz, what organisation would you accept?

    Tim Berners-Lee started the World Wide Web and is still CEO of the W3
    Consortium.
    http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/
    OR
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pioneers/lee.html

    HTH

    Volund

    ---
    "There is nothing permanent except change." Heraclitus

    Volund, Sep 27, 2004
  14. fruitbat

    Volund Guest

    Volund, Sep 27, 2004
  15. fruitbat

    Wizard Guest

    There was Internet long before there was WWW ......

    Wizard, Sep 27, 2004
  16. fruitbat

    Volund Guest

    > There was Internet long before there was WWW ......

    Wow that really answers the OPs question.

    http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/timeline.asp

    Is this any better

    ---
    "There is nothing permanent except change." Heraclitus

    Volund, Sep 27, 2004
  17. Wizard, <>, the obsessive-compulsive, inefficient
    pussyfart, and cobbler, erupted:

    --
    You flouncing, hopeless, turtleneck robber.

    Kunitembelea Twaukubali, Sep 27, 2004
  18. fruitbat

    Bradley26 Guest

    Kun,

    you misquoted Wizard. that doesnt appear to be what he said.

    why would you say all those things about him?

    Bradley26, Sep 28, 2004
  19. Bradley26, <>, the odious, dodgy geography teacher, and
    boiler attendant, chortled:

    --
    You vomiting, balding, light-minded fetid bugbane.

    Nathan Kronberg, Sep 28, 2004
  20. fruitbat

    Bradley26 Guest

    oh now you asked for it punk!

    Im not obese, nor bald. Im okay at geography, physically fit, from
    California, good looking, clean and organized.

    I dont think you can say that about your... (that) on the internet

    "Nathan Kronberg" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Bradley26, Sep 28, 2004