Who says Chinese mfg. has hurt camera quality?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Aug 4, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Aug 4, 2010

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >EVERYONE!  Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
    > >camera reliability.  You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.

    > >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35954856

    > And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
    > error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
    >
    > But hey, what does the truth mean?

    If it was only the update process.
    The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
    live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
    saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
    customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
    the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

    RichA, Aug 4, 2010

  3. RichA

    Bowser Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >EVERYONE! Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
    >> >camera reliability. You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.

    >> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35954856

    >> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
    >> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
    >>
    >> But hey, what does the truth mean?

    > If it was only the update process.
    > The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
    > live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
    > saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
    > customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
    > the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

    So you admit that the user screwed up and that the camera's place of
    manufacturer had nothing to do with it? doesn't this mean that your original
    post was just another lame attempt at trolling and that you serve no purpose
    on this earth and should disappear and never post again? Isn't that what it
    all means? Well, that's what I read out of it.

    Bowser, Aug 5, 2010
  4. RichA

    Bowser Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 8/4/10 9:50 AM, in article
    > , "RichA"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <> wrote:

    >>> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
    >>> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
    >>>
    >>> But hey, what does the truth mean?

    >> If it was only the update process.
    >> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
    >> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
    >> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
    >> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
    >> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

    > And just where was this "camera store"?!?
    >
    > (this should be good)

    My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of his
    pathetic little mind.

    Just a guess.

    Bowser, Aug 5, 2010
  5. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Bowser" <> wrote in message
    > "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> On 8/4/10 9:50 AM, in article
    >> ,
    >> "RichA"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> If it was only the update process.
    >>> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
    >>> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
    >>> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
    >>> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
    >>> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.

    >> And just where was this "camera store"?!?
    >>
    >> (this should be good)

    > My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of
    > his pathetic little mind.
    >
    > Just a guess.

    The store may not be, but I would not bet against you on the described
    contents.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 5, 2010
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:40:47 -0500, George Kerby <>
    wrote:
    :
    :
    :
    : On 8/5/10 11:27 AM, in article YDB6o.337$,
    : "Bowser" <> wrote:
    :
    : > "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    : > news:C87EF034.3A883%...
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>
    : >> On 8/4/10 9:50 AM, in article
    : >> , "RichA"
    : >> <> wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> On Aug 4, 7:12 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    : >>>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    : >>>> wrote:
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> EVERYONE! Olympus used to be as solid as a rock when it came to
    : >>>>> camera reliability. You rarely ever heard of any kind of failure.
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=35954856
    : >>>>
    : >>>> And if you actually read the entire thread you'd have learned that the
    : >>>> error was caused by the user, not the camera or the manufacturer.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> But hey, what does the truth mean?
    : >>>
    : >>> If it was only the update process.
    : >>> The process is stupidest, most dangerous one there is, relying on a
    : >>> live online connection to complete it. At Christmas, 2 years ago, I
    : >>> saw boxes filled with dead E-510/410's at a camera store that
    : >>> customers had tried to update and had failed. You never saw that with
    : >>> the bullet-proof process used by Nikon, Pentax, etc,.
    : >>
    : >> And just where was this "camera store"?!?
    : >>
    : >> (this should be good)
    : >
    : > My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of his
    : > pathetic little mind.
    : >
    : > Just a guess.
    : >
    : Most likely an accurate guess. Living in Houston, fourth largest city in the
    : US, there are only two true camera stores. And I'm not talking about chains
    : like Ritz which has gone bankrupt. Unless Rich was in NYC, Atlanta, San
    : Francisco or Chicago, his "camera store" is a fig newton of his imagination.

    You forgot Boston. Our local chain, Hunt's, came up with a WA lens I wanted
    when both of the big NYC chains had been without it for almost a year.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 7, 2010
  7. On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 13:48:35 -0500, George Kerby <>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >> : >
    >> : > My guess is the this camera store is buried deep within the recesses of
    >> his
    >> : > pathetic little mind.
    >> : >
    >> : > Just a guess.
    >> : >
    >> : Most likely an accurate guess. Living in Houston, fourth largest city in the
    >> : US, there are only two true camera stores. And I'm not talking about chains
    >> : like Ritz which has gone bankrupt. Unless Rich was in NYC, Atlanta, San
    >> : Francisco or Chicago, his "camera store" is a fig newton of his imagination.
    >>
    >> You forgot Boston. Our local chain, Hunt's, came up with a WA lens I wanted
    >> when both of the big NYC chains had been without it for almost a year.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >My Bad. I guess I can't get them all. I have heard of Hunt's Photo and

    What a surprise! Because we ALL already know that you don't even own one
    camera. You've proved that so many times we've lost count.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Aug 7, 2010
  8. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message

    > You forgot Boston. Our local chain, Hunt's, came up with a WA lens I
    > wanted
    > when both of the big NYC chains had been without it for almost a year.

    I like dealing with them. In all my dealings I found Gary to be a straight
    shooter who is knowledgeable, cooperative and responsive.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 8, 2010