  1. So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
    thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

    <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1565642/acer-blames-dell-hp-poor-ultra-notebook-sales>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 11, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
    > thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

    Dell have just released the Vostro V13 for precisely this market.
    Your link is out of date.

    victor, Dec 11, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:24:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
    >thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

    It's the widespread and surpassingly inane "Solutions Syndrome": the
    inculcated notion that defines Crass and suggests that Little You are
    helpless in the face of all the challenges the modern world burdens
    you with: So, "We are here to help you (and to rip you off if we can
    while we're at it)"

    It goes something like - You, the customer, invariably "have a
    problem", so you are in need of a banking solution, a decorating
    solution, a plumbing solution, a deep-frying solution - you name it.
    Panel vans scuttle around New Zealand with "XXX... Solutions"
    emblazoned on their paintwork; knights in shining armour, all togged
    up in singlets that show off their smelly armpit fuzz and shorts
    tailored in China for a five year-old anorexic.

    I know it's daft, but the people this snake oil junk are aimed at are
    even dafter. They fall for it.

    It's not generally known that the NCEA was introduced as a critical
    "Education Solution". More recently word is that an "Increased
    Labour-Productivity Solution" is about to be sought by Key and his
    mob.

    Until this arrives, is implemented and the OECD numbers show it's
    working, the best and wisest course of action for everyone is the
    traditional "Don't Hold Your Breath Solution".

    -Newsman-, Feb 20, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 20, 7:22 pm, (-Newsman-) wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:24:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    > >So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
    > >thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

    > It's the widespread and surpassingly inane "Solutions Syndrome": the
    > inculcated notion that defines Crass and suggests that Little You are
    > helpless in the face of all the challenges the modern world burdens
    > you with:  So, "We are here to help you (and to rip you off if we can
    > while we're at it)"
    >
    > It goes something like - You, the customer, invariably "have a
    > problem", so you are in need of a banking solution, a decorating
    > solution, a plumbing solution, a deep-frying solution - you name it.
    > Panel vans scuttle around New Zealand with "XXX... Solutions"
    > emblazoned on their paintwork; knights in shining armour, all togged
    > up in singlets that show off their smelly armpit fuzz and shorts
    > tailored in China for a five year-old anorexic.
    >
    > I know it's daft, but the people this snake oil junk are aimed at are
    > even dafter.  They fall for it.
    >
    > It's not generally known that the NCEA was introduced as a critical
    > "Education Solution". More recently word is that an "Increased
    > Labour-Productivity Solution" is about to be sought by Key and his
    > mob.
    >
    > Until this arrives, is implemented and the OECD numbers show it's
    > working, the best and wisest course of action for everyone is the
    > traditional "Don't Hold Your Breath Solution".

    LOL! You reminded me of my dear but recently departed father-in-law.
    He just hated business names ending in 'solutions' which was always
    fun because my own business (providing IT services) really was
    'solutions' even if it's not part of its name.

    I think Apple Computer are the absolute masters of providing
    'solutions' to 'problems' people never realised they had. The iPhone
    is a classic case. I am interested to see if the iPad proves as
    successful. I can't for the life of me see what if could be the
    'solution' for either.

    JohnO, Feb 21, 2010