    If someone could please point me to the right direction with this ­ that
    will be much appreciated.

    Thanks!!

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008

  2. Gennady Wexler

    Pavel A. Guest

    Gennady Wexler" <> wrote in message
    news:C4E8454F.38585%...
    > Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    > adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    > wireless profile application.

    1. Open the "show wireless netrworks" GUI. If it opens and shows the scan
    list, it manages the adapter.
    If it says "cannot manage this adapter" or WZC isn't running - it obviously
    doesn't.

    2. Open properties of the adapter, Wireless tab, see if the checkbox "Let
    Windows manage this adapter" is checked.

    > Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    > out?

    You can use the WLAN API to find if WZC manages the adapter.
    But it queries WZC, not the adapter.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 6, 2008

  3. Thank you Pavel for your response, but I meant to ask a programmatic way of
    doing that, without having any user intervention to this.

    I am able to find out whether WZC is managing my adapter, what I need to
    find out who does if WZC isnt doing it - that is exactly which other 3rd
    party manager, application, process etc is in charge of wireless
    connectivity management.

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Gennady Wexler

    Pavel A. Guest

    Ok then WLAN API (the WinXP subset of it) is your friend.

    Docum:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms706563(VS.85).aspx

    MSDN forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1701&SiteID=1
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1700&SiteID=1

    Good luck,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 6, 2008
  5. None of that works if WZC service is turned off or sub'ed by a 3rd party
    managing provider though.

    So those references to APIs are of no help here.

    Do you have a code example that does what I need to do by any chance?

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Gennady Wexler

    Pavel A. Guest

    Then it is even simpler. If WZC is turned off, you already know that it is
    not managing the device :)

    Or I'm aftraid I don't understand your goal.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 6, 2008
  7. I need to know who is managing wireless connection if not WZC. We can have
    3rd party wireless networking (profiles) configuration/managing solutions,
    almost any wireless card provider supplies one for their hardware.

    What I need to do, is walk in and tell customer - hey, we need to you turn
    off/uninstall "such and such" application so that WZC can then be restored
    to manage your wireless connection. With that, we auto setup wireless
    profiles via WZC APIs and off we go.

    Let me know if you have any further questions with this?

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  8. Gennady Wexler

    Pavel A. Guest

    Well, what can be done:
    - ensure that WZC is not disabled and is properly set up.
    - check that user has SP3 or needed wi-fi KB patches.
    - check that WZC is enabled to manage all wireless adapters (use the API
    for this).
    - enable WZC logging to see how it works (described in some KB)
    - get list of installed apps and list of running apps.

    But I don't know easy way to check that a 3rd party app doesn't hijack
    adapter from wzc,
    or that 3rd party app doesn't call WZC API to drive the connection.

    If you are an organisation, can you simply install wi-fi on user machines
    and prohibit them
    by policy to install their own stuff.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 6, 2008
  9. Hi
    WZC runs a process and so are most 3rd party vendor utilities.
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=5166
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 6, 2008
  10. We are not having any control over customer based OS installations and
    applications installed on their machine. We deploy a service on individual
    basis.

    Nor WZC or wifi lan apis going to work here, since we know that WZC service
    is not going to be running, if we have a 3rd party solution managing
    wireless connectivity.

    A theory goes that when a 3rd party process holds access lock on the
    wireless device, we should be able to/(could) know what that process is, and
    be able to offer to the user an option to handle that exceptional case.

    The only scenario we don't have covered is like this: user chooses to
    install our solution, we come in and sniff that WZC is not running - then
    who is it running the show? And tell that to the user.

    It is often the case that users have no idea what that is either if they got
    their computer stocked with preinstalled and preconfigured software.

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  11. We are not having any control over customer based OS installations and

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  12. The problem is how to find out which is it the 3rd party vendor process is
    running and holding control over the wireless connectivity/profiles
    management.

    Once we know the process name (at least), we can manage it (stop if its a
    service, terminate/ask user to close it, etc).

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  13. The problem is how to find out which is it the 3rd party vendor process is

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 6, 2008
  14. Gennady Wexler

    Pavel A. Guest

    AFAIK there is no any "access locks" on wireless adapters.

    But ... "the market pays for solutions to gnarly problems, not solutions to
    easy problems"

    Good luck,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 6, 2008
  15. Gennady Wexler

    Pavel A., Sep 6, 2008
  16. Are you saying that more than one managing solution can access wireless
    adapter at the same time? E.g. A 3rd party and WZC?

    I believe you are wrong then, as there can be only one provider at any given
    time.

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 7, 2008
  17. Are you saying that more than one managing solution can access wireless

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 7, 2008
  18. "Gennady Wexler" <> wrote in message

    > Are you saying that more than one managing solution can access wireless
    > adapter at the same time? E.g. A 3rd party and WZC?
    >
    > I believe you are wrong then, as there can be only one provider at any
    > given
    > time.

    Nope you are wrong believing that only one provider can access, especially
    in XP. Since most of the 3rd party solutions have to add a psuedo protocol
    driver to gain access and there is no limit to the number of protocol
    drivers bound to the miniport, there can be a lot of providers access the
    adapter at the same time and overwriting each other. The only thing they
    really need to watch out for is that they did not use the same "toolkit" for
    the protocol layer and did not change the protocol driver's file system
    object name.

    The way that problem has been solved by others is brute force enumeration of
    known solutions... that is: Intel has process/EXE intelxxx.exe, Broadcom has
    process/exe bwlxxx.exe, etc.

    Phil

    Philip Doragh, Sep 7, 2008

    Philip Doragh, Sep 7, 2008
  20. Could you please give some pointers on the mentioned below pseudo protocol
    driver (to again access). Are there examples of how that's done?

    Gennady Wexler, Sep 7, 2008