Who makes these type of gates?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by turtill@hotmail.com, Jun 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. clot Guest

    clot, Jun 12, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 12, 2006
  4. G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:38:48 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Most anybody with a welder could make them, it seems to me. But have you
    >checked with Tractor Supply?

    HAHAHAHA !!!

    I knew you were a good ol' boy Roger!

    Roger is correct, you can get them at Tractor Supply Co..

    http://www.mytscstore.com/

    --

    -Graham

    remove the double 'e' to email me.
    G. Morgan, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Jun 12, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:38:48 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Does anyone know who make these sort of gates and how much they cost?
    >> http://static.flickr.com/47/159577114_8b93471e7c_b.jpg
    >>
    >> http://static.flickr.com/61/159539231_e65fdc76a9_b.jpg
    >> pete
    >> --
    >> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    >Most anybody with a welder could make them, it seems to me. But have you
    >checked with Tractor Supply? Or how about this website:
    >http://www.davisgates.com/ My guess would be if they don't have it they
    >could tell you where to get it.

    The stainless steel one could have been imported I suppose but the
    green painted ones I suppose could have been made locally by any firm
    into welding.
    Cheers,
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    , Jun 12, 2006
  7. Guest

    , Jun 12, 2006
  8. G. Morgan wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:38:48 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Most anybody with a welder could make them, it seems to me. But have you
    >>checked with Tractor Supply?

    > HAHAHAHA !!!
    >

    > I knew you were a good ol' boy Roger!

    I'll have you to know that I'm an urban legend in my own mind and keep
    up with the latest technologies.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 12, 2006
  9. G. Morgan wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:38:48 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Most anybody with a welder could make them, it seems to me. But have you
    >>checked with Tractor Supply?

    > HAHAHAHA !!!
    >

    > I knew you were a good ol' boy Roger!

    You might be a redneck if your rich uncle invites you over to help
    remove the wheels off of his house.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 12, 2006
  10. Rôgêr wrote:
    > G. Morgan wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:38:48 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Most anybody with a welder could make them, it seems to me. But have you
    >>>checked with Tractor Supply?

    >> HAHAHAHA !!!
    >>

    >> I knew you were a good ol' boy Roger!

    > You might be a redneck if your rich uncle invites you over to help
    > remove the wheels off of his house.

    You might be a redneck if your house is on wheels and your car is on
    cement blocks. (Foxworthy)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 12, 2006
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>G. Morgan wrote:

    >>>HAHAHAHA !!!
    >>>

    >>>I knew you were a good ol' boy Roger!

    >>You might be a redneck if your rich uncle invites you over to help
    >>remove the wheels off of his house.

    > You might be a redneck if your house is on wheels and your car is on
    > cement blocks. (Foxworthy)

    Oh God, here we go ...

    I like the other guy, he says to the police "No, I was drunk in a bar,
    they THREW me into public."
    --
    Do you know what you get when you play a country song backward? You get
    your job back, you get your house back, your wife back, your truck back ...
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 12, 2006
  12. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-11, <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know who make these sort of gates and how much they cost?
    > http://static.flickr.com/47/159577114_8b93471e7c_b.jpg

    That is a variant of the traditional 'kissing gate' that has been built in
    wood since time immemorial wherever animals are kept in or out of fields,
    and in metal since at least the 18th century and cheap iron. I'd say that
    anyone who can put up a fence can devise a kissing gate; if you want metal
    then any blacksmith or light engineering workshop should be able to do it.

    > http://static.flickr.com/61/159539231_e65fdc76a9_b.jpg

    Is that meant to make fat people get down on all fours to get through?
    I've seen similar constrictions meant to force cyclists to dismount or to
    deter motor-bikers, but usually they are just bent metal tubing.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 12, 2006
  13. Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:34:36 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-06-11, <> wrote:
    >> Does anyone know who make these sort of gates and how much they cost?
    >> http://static.flickr.com/47/159577114_8b93471e7c_b.jpg

    >That is a variant of the traditional 'kissing gate' that has been built in
    >wood since time immemorial wherever animals are kept in or out of fields,
    >and in metal since at least the 18th century and cheap iron. I'd say that
    >anyone who can put up a fence can devise a kissing gate; if you want metal
    >then any blacksmith or light engineering workshop should be able to do it.
    >
    >> http://static.flickr.com/61/159539231_e65fdc76a9_b.jpg

    >Is that meant to make fat people get down on all fours to get through?
    >I've seen similar constrictions meant to force cyclists to dismount or to
    >deter motor-bikers, but usually they are just bent metal tubing.

    The galvanised tubular contraption is supposed to allow wheelchair
    access and keep out motorcycles and the green painted contraption
    keeps wheelchairs out but not motorcycles although it is supposed to
    keep motorcycles out. See below.
    http://static.flickr.com/50/165029517_28e15e93f3_b.jpg

    http://static.flickr.com/63/164265809_b6da18cd15_b.jpg
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    , Jun 12, 2006
  14. Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    |>Rôgêr wrote:

    |>> You might be a redneck if your rich uncle invites you over to help
    |>> remove the wheels off of his house.

    |>You might be a redneck if your house is on wheels and your car is on
    |>cement blocks. (Foxworthy)

    RedNeck Airforce
    http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/redneck_airforce.htm

    --
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/33854/the_moron_olympics/
    , Jun 12, 2006
  15. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-12, <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:34:36 +0100, Whiskers
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-06-11, <> wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know who make these sort of gates and how much they cost?
    >>> http://static.flickr.com/47/159577114_8b93471e7c_b.jpg

    >>That is a variant of the traditional 'kissing gate' that has been built in
    >>wood since time immemorial wherever animals are kept in or out of fields,
    >>and in metal since at least the 18th century and cheap iron. I'd say that
    >>anyone who can put up a fence can devise a kissing gate; if you want metal
    >>then any blacksmith or light engineering workshop should be able to do it.
    >>
    >>> http://static.flickr.com/61/159539231_e65fdc76a9_b.jpg

    >>Is that meant to make fat people get down on all fours to get through?
    >>I've seen similar constrictions meant to force cyclists to dismount or to
    >>deter motor-bikers, but usually they are just bent metal tubing.

    > The galvanised tubular contraption is supposed to allow wheelchair
    > access and keep out motorcycles and the green painted contraption
    > keeps wheelchairs out but not motorcycles although it is supposed to
    > keep motorcycles out. See below.
    > http://static.flickr.com/50/165029517_28e15e93f3_b.jpg
    >

    > http://static.flickr.com/63/164265809_b6da18cd15_b.jpg
    > pete

    Mostly, any barrier that allows a wheelchair through will let a small solo
    motor-bike through as well, and as you've noticed wheelchairs are the
    easiest thing to keep out whether that's the intention or not.
    Pedal-cyclists are perfectly capable of lifting their machines above their
    heads or even removing the wheels etc to get them throuhg anything that a
    human body can get through or over. If you want to deter motor-bikes, a
    notice to that effect is as reliable as any barrier intended to permit
    wheelchairs.

    If the kissing-gate design in your picture stops wheel-chairs, then it's a
    bad design, or incorrectly installed - there was a problem of that sort on
    the marshes near where I live a few years ago when it was decided to make
    them 'accessible'; some of the gate designs were eventually replaced
    entirely but many just needed to be installed following the instructions,
    rather than letting the labourers make it up as they went along - one
    important access point was accessible only to those who could climb over
    the gate, at first, until one night it was mysteriously demolished ...
    that was one of the simpler types meant to do the same as your
    28e15e93f3_b.jpg, but do you know any wheelchairs that can get through an
    18" opening?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 12, 2006
  16. Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:26:49 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >If the kissing-gate design in your picture stops wheel-chairs, then it's a
    >bad design, or incorrectly installed - there was a problem of that sort on
    >the marshes near where I live a few years ago when it was decided to make
    >them 'accessible'; some of the gate designs were eventually replaced
    >entirely but many just needed to be installed following the instructions,
    >rather than letting the labourers make it up as they went along - one
    >important access point was accessible only to those who could climb over
    >the gate, at first, until one night it was mysteriously demolished ...
    >that was one of the simpler types meant to do the same as your
    >28e15e93f3_b.jpg, but do you know any wheelchairs that can get through an
    >18" opening?

    The local authority decided to buy two woods that kids had used since
    the war to mess around on motorcycles. The local authority then
    decided to erect about 100 gates like the green painted one to keep
    motor cycles out. The motorcycles can be taken through them easily but
    I cannot get through in my wheelchair. The two tubular contraptions
    are supposed to be wheelchair accessible and not motorcycle
    accessible. Of course motorcycles get through them easily but it is
    risky in my wheelchairs and my control joystick is too close to the
    bliidy side. I am trying to work out how much money has been spent
    pointlessly.
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    , Jun 12, 2006
  17. Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:28:59 +0100, wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:34:36 +0100, Whiskers
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-06-11, <> wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know who make these sort of gates and how much they cost?
    >>> http://static.flickr.com/47/159577114_8b93471e7c_b.jpg

    >>That is a variant of the traditional 'kissing gate' that has been built in
    >>wood since time immemorial wherever animals are kept in or out of fields,
    >>and in metal since at least the 18th century and cheap iron. I'd say that
    >>anyone who can put up a fence can devise a kissing gate; if you want metal
    >>then any blacksmith or light engineering workshop should be able to do it.
    >>
    >>> http://static.flickr.com/61/159539231_e65fdc76a9_b.jpg

    >>Is that meant to make fat people get down on all fours to get through?
    >>I've seen similar constrictions meant to force cyclists to dismount or to
    >>deter motor-bikers, but usually they are just bent metal tubing.

    >The galvanised tubular contraption is supposed to allow wheelchair
    >access and keep out motorcycles and the green painted contraption
    >keeps wheelchairs out but not motorcycles although it is supposed to
    >keep motorcycles out.

    I think you've been told before - they are to keep vermin out; the
    fact that you can't get in probably means it is money well spent.
    , Jun 12, 2006
  18. Guest

    , Jun 13, 2006
  19. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-12, <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:26:49 +0100, Whiskers
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>If the kissing-gate design in your picture stops wheel-chairs, then it's a
    >>bad design, or incorrectly installed - there was a problem of that sort on
    >>the marshes near where I live a few years ago when it was decided to make
    >>them 'accessible'; some of the gate designs were eventually replaced
    >>entirely but many just needed to be installed following the instructions,
    >>rather than letting the labourers make it up as they went along - one
    >>important access point was accessible only to those who could climb over
    >>the gate, at first, until one night it was mysteriously demolished ...
    >>that was one of the simpler types meant to do the same as your
    >>28e15e93f3_b.jpg, but do you know any wheelchairs that can get through an
    >>18" opening?

    > The local authority decided to buy two woods that kids had used since
    > the war to mess around on motorcycles. The local authority then
    > decided to erect about 100 gates like the green painted one to keep
    > motor cycles out. The motorcycles can be taken through them easily but
    > I cannot get through in my wheelchair. The two tubular contraptions
    > are supposed to be wheelchair accessible and not motorcycle
    > accessible. Of course motorcycles get through them easily but it is
    > risky in my wheelchairs and my control joystick is too close to the
    > bliidy side. I am trying to work out how much money has been spent
    > pointlessly.
    > pete

    I suggest that you contact local TV and radio stations and newspapers, and
    try to get a journalist to take up the matter. The important thing is to
    get access practical for those who are meant to have it - the wasted money
    on ineffective measures is too late to worry about, although it is
    something a journalist or politician could use when looking for mud to
    sling. Is there a 'Friends of the local woods' outfit? Perhaps a local
    journalist could help get one started.

    Pictures of wheelchairs stuck in the 'accessible' gates would make good
    copy for a local TV news program - on a quiet day.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 13, 2006
  20. Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:15:30 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-06-12, <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:26:49 +0100, Whiskers
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If the kissing-gate design in your picture stops wheel-chairs, then it's a
    >>>bad design, or incorrectly installed - there was a problem of that sort on
    >>>the marshes near where I live a few years ago when it was decided to make
    >>>them 'accessible'; some of the gate designs were eventually replaced
    >>>entirely but many just needed to be installed following the instructions,
    >>>rather than letting the labourers make it up as they went along - one
    >>>important access point was accessible only to those who could climb over
    >>>the gate, at first, until one night it was mysteriously demolished ...
    >>>that was one of the simpler types meant to do the same as your
    >>>28e15e93f3_b.jpg, but do you know any wheelchairs that can get through an
    >>>18" opening?

    >> The local authority decided to buy two woods that kids had used since
    >> the war to mess around on motorcycles. The local authority then
    >> decided to erect about 100 gates like the green painted one to keep
    >> motor cycles out. The motorcycles can be taken through them easily but
    >> I cannot get through in my wheelchair. The two tubular contraptions
    >> are supposed to be wheelchair accessible and not motorcycle
    >> accessible. Of course motorcycles get through them easily but it is
    >> risky in my wheelchairs and my control joystick is too close to the
    >> bliidy side. I am trying to work out how much money has been spent
    >> pointlessly.
    >> pete

    >I suggest that you contact local TV and radio stations and newspapers, and
    >try to get a journalist to take up the matter. The important thing is to
    >get access practical for those who are meant to have it - the wasted money
    >on ineffective measures is too late to worry about, although it is
    >something a journalist or politician could use when looking for mud to
    >sling. Is there a 'Friends of the local woods' outfit? Perhaps a local
    >journalist could help get one started.
    >
    >Pictures of wheelchairs stuck in the 'accessible' gates would make good
    >copy for a local TV news program - on a quiet day.

    You are quite right - unfortunately Mr Turtill has pissed off all the
    local media outlets with previous inane ramblings.
    You will not be aware, but there will be a (currently) hidden agenda
    behind this do-goodery. The real purpose behind his thinking will
    soon become apparent.
    , Jun 13, 2006