    Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?

    For example the NP-20 shown below.
    http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Batteries_Plus_Casio_129.html
    David, Aug 24, 2006

  2. David

    Graham Guest

    >I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which comes
    > with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd party
    > lookalike.
    >
    > My original Nokia battery significantly outperforms a lookalike even
    > though the lookalike claims almost 40% extra capacity.
    >
    > Similalry my digital camera's battery is better than the lookalikes I
    > have tried.
    >
    > Trouble is that original batteries cost a fortune to buy on their own.
    >
    > Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?
    >
    > For example the NP-20 shown below.
    > http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Batteries_Plus_Casio_129.html

    These are all Lithium Ion batteries.
    Lithium batteries are quite different, and are not rechargeable.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 24, 2006

  3. David wrote:
    > I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which
    > comes with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd
    > party lookalike.
    >
    > My original Nokia battery significantly outperforms a lookalike even
    > though the lookalike claims almost 40% extra capacity.
    >
    > Similalry my digital camera's battery is better than the lookalikes I
    > have tried.
    >
    > Trouble is that original batteries cost a fortune to buy on their own.
    >
    > Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?
    >
    > For example the NP-20 shown below.
    > http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Batteries_Plus_Casio_129.html

    I have found this firm to be excellent.
    http://www.battery-force.co.uk/index.html
    Dennis Pogson, Aug 25, 2006
  4. David

    Mark Fortune Guest

    Dennis Pogson wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >>I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which
    >>comes with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd
    >>party lookalike.
    >>
    >>My original Nokia battery significantly outperforms a lookalike even
    >>though the lookalike claims almost 40% extra capacity.
    >>
    >>Similalry my digital camera's battery is better than the lookalikes I
    >>have tried.
    >>
    >>Trouble is that original batteries cost a fortune to buy on their own.
    >>
    >>Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?
    >>
    >>For example the NP-20 shown below.
    >>http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Batteries_Plus_Casio_129.html

    > I have found this firm to be excellent.
    > http://www.battery-force.co.uk/index.html

    Yeah, we got some sample batteries from them for our mp3 players as
    duracell ones were lasting about 10 hours playtime. They sent us loads
    and their own branded ones lasted for around 20-24 hours playtime.
    Really helpful people, the prices were pretty good as I recall too.

    Think i've still got some of their batteries running my electric toothbrush.

    Mark
    Mark Fortune, Aug 25, 2006
  5. David

    Graculus Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    >I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which comes
    > with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd party
    > lookalike.

    Sony?

    Oh, maybe not, unless you like the smell of a real fire.
    Graculus, Aug 25, 2006
  6. David

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:28 +0100, "Graculus"
    <> wrote:

    >"David" <> wrote in message
    >>I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which comes
    >> with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd party
    >> lookalike.

    >Sony?
    >
    >Oh, maybe not, unless you like the smell of a real fire.

    Interestingly, Sony provided the batteries for both Dell and Apple,
    and a lot of those have been recalled.
    The Sony batteries used in Sony gear, though, have been reliable.
    Sony, in recent years, has shown a shocking disregard for their
    customers; yet they obviously have been able to supply themselves with
    reliable batteries.
    This could lead one to conclude they knew about the problems, and
    steered affected product out of house.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 25, 2006
  7. David

    Mark Fortune Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:28 +0100, "Graculus"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"David" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which comes
    >>>with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd party
    >>>lookalike.

    >>Sony?
    >>
    >>Oh, maybe not, unless you like the smell of a real fire.
    >>

    > Interestingly, Sony provided the batteries for both Dell and Apple,
    > and a lot of those have been recalled.
    > The Sony batteries used in Sony gear, though, have been reliable.
    > Sony, in recent years, has shown a shocking disregard for their
    > customers; yet they obviously have been able to supply themselves with
    > reliable batteries.
    > This could lead one to conclude they knew about the problems, and
    > steered affected product out of house.

    A large respectable company like sony playing dirty? I won't believe it.
    Next you'll be telling me they sue 12 year old girls and 90 year old
    grannies for downloading mp3's
    Mark Fortune, Aug 25, 2006
  8. David

    Graculus Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:28 +0100, "Graculus"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"David" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which comes
    >>> with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd party
    >>> lookalike.

    >>Sony?
    >>
    >>Oh, maybe not, unless you like the smell of a real fire.
    >>

    > Interestingly, Sony provided the batteries for both Dell and Apple,
    > and a lot of those have been recalled.
    > The Sony batteries used in Sony gear, though, have been reliable.
    > Sony, in recent years, has shown a shocking disregard for their
    > customers; yet they obviously have been able to supply themselves with
    > reliable batteries.
    > This could lead one to conclude they knew about the problems, and
    > steered affected product out of house.

    While I'm no fan of Sony, especially their rootkit installing BMG branch, I
    think that's a conspiracy theory too far. The batteries they make as OEM
    product for the likes of Dell and Apple will be manufactured only for them,
    as they have to physically fit whatever specifications Dell/Apple give them.
    Graculus, Aug 25, 2006
  9. David

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:37:45 +0100, Mark Fortune wrote:

    > A large respectable company like sony playing dirty? I won't believe it.
    > Next you'll be telling me they sue 12 year old girls and 90 year old
    > grannies for downloading mp3's

    No, Sony wouldn't do anything like that. Next thing you know
    somebody will accuse Disney of doing the same thing. Their lawyers
    have issued emphatic denials.
    ASAAR, Aug 25, 2006
  10. David

    Cynicor Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:37:45 +0100, Mark Fortune wrote:
    >
    >> A large respectable company like sony playing dirty? I won't believe it.
    >> Next you'll be telling me they sue 12 year old girls and 90 year old
    >> grannies for downloading mp3's

    > No, Sony wouldn't do anything like that. Next thing you know
    > somebody will accuse Disney of doing the same thing. Their lawyers
    > have issued emphatic denials.

    The weird thing was that the Disney lawyer had to wear a character head
    and wasn't allowed to speak, so he had to mime the whole denial.
    Cynicor, Aug 25, 2006
  11. Richard Tomkins, Aug 25, 2006
  12. David

    Graculus Guest

    "Richard Tomkins" <> wrote in message
    > Want to purchase some Enron stock?

    OK, I'll sell my WorldCom stock to cover it.
    Graculus, Aug 26, 2006
  13. David

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:06:30 +0100, "Graculus"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:28 +0100, "Graculus"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"David" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Sony?
    >>>
    >>>Oh, maybe not, unless you like the smell of a real fire.
    >>>

    >> Interestingly, Sony provided the batteries for both Dell and Apple,
    >> and a lot of those have been recalled.
    >> The Sony batteries used in Sony gear, though, have been reliable.
    >> Sony, in recent years, has shown a shocking disregard for their
    >> customers; yet they obviously have been able to supply themselves with
    >> reliable batteries.
    >> This could lead one to conclude they knew about the problems, and
    >> steered affected product out of house.

    >While I'm no fan of Sony, especially their rootkit installing BMG branch, I
    >think that's a conspiracy theory too far. The batteries they make as OEM
    >product for the likes of Dell and Apple will be manufactured only for them,
    >as they have to physically fit whatever specifications Dell/Apple give them.

    Sony knew.
    http://channels.lockergnome.com/new..._discussed_battery_issues_10_months_ago.phtml
    It was the manufacturing process that was going wrong, yet they
    managed to have *their* batteries come out OK.
    Gateway's next.
    (Maybe.)
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 26, 2006
  14. Dennis Pogson wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which
    >> comes with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd
    >> party lookalike.
    >>
    >> My original Nokia battery significantly outperforms a lookalike even
    >> though the lookalike claims almost 40% extra capacity.
    >>
    >> Similalry my digital camera's battery is better than the lookalikes I
    >> have tried.
    >>
    >> Trouble is that original batteries cost a fortune to buy on their own.
    >>
    >> Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?
    >>
    >> For example the NP-20 shown below.
    >> http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Batteries_Plus_Casio_129.html

    > I have found this firm to be excellent.
    > http://www.battery-force.co.uk/index.html

    I get my batteries off Ebay. Who cares how long they last. I carry a
    bunch of them.

    Richard Perry
    Richard Perry, Nov 6, 2006
  15. "Richard Perry" <> wrote in message

    > I get my batteries off Ebay. Who cares how long they last. I carry a
    > bunch of them.

    IME the ones from eBay tend to be quite a bit lower performing than brand
    names.
    Homer J Simpson, Nov 6, 2006
  16. "Homer J Simpson" <> wrote in

    > "Richard Perry" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I get my batteries off Ebay. Who cares how long they last. I carry
    >> a bunch of them.

    > IME the ones from eBay tend to be quite a bit lower performing than
    > brand names.

    Then get brand name batteries off eBay. There are sellers of Duracell and
    Procell alkalines, so probably also for lithium ion types. Many of these
    large volume sellers are kosher, they're not pushing fakes, it only takes a
    small amount of negative feedback to get them shut down, so the big sellers
    don't do that, they rely on good stock, large volume and fast sales. You
    get good batteries, because they don't sit on shelves getting old, and
    you're not paying for the overheads that kind of storage costs, and
    they're cheap to deliver straight to you, so it's a very good way to get
    them.
    Lostgallifreyan, Nov 6, 2006
  17. David

    Art Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 06:03:45 GMT, Richard Perry
    <> wrote:

    >Dennis Pogson wrote:
    >> David wrote:
    >>> I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which
    >>> comes with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd
    >>> party lookalike.
    >>>
    >>> My original Nokia battery significantly outperforms a lookalike even
    >>> though the lookalike claims almost 40% extra capacity.
    >>>
    >>> Similalry my digital camera's battery is better than the lookalikes I
    >>> have tried.
    >>>
    >>> Trouble is that original batteries cost a fortune to buy on their own.
    >>>
    >>> Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?
    >>>
    >>> For example the NP-20 shown below.
    >>> http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Batteries_Plus_Casio_129.html

    >> I have found this firm to be excellent.
    >> http://www.battery-force.co.uk/index.html
    >>

    >I get my batteries off Ebay. Who cares how long they last. I carry a
    >bunch of them.

    Beware of cheap batteries. I managed to ruin a Seiko watch with a
    cheap battery that leaked.
    Art, Nov 6, 2006
  18. David

    Butch Haynes Guest

    > Dennis Pogson wrote:
    >> David wrote:
    >>> I have nearly alwys found that the original lithium battery which
    >>> comes with my mobile phone or digital camera is better than any 3rd
    >>> party lookalike.
    >>>
    >>> My original Nokia battery significantly outperforms a lookalike even
    >>> though the lookalike claims almost 40% extra capacity.
    >>>
    >>> Similalry my digital camera's battery is better than the lookalikes I
    >>> have tried.
    >>>
    >>> Trouble is that original batteries cost a fortune to buy on their own.
    >>>
    >>> Which are the brands for decent lookalike lithiums?

    I've purchased 8-9 aftermarket Lithium rechargeables from several of the
    bigger name online battery retailers-- ranging from the "cheap Charlies" to
    the ones that charge 60% or so of the cost of factory-branded ones and are
    supposed to have "Japanese cells."

    My experience has been about the same with all of them. First I do several
    charge/discharge cycles to condition them Then if I use them right after I
    charge them, they're OK-- usually giving about 75-80% capacity of the
    factory battery.

    However, if I let them sit a few weeks after charging before using them,
    they've self-discharged much faster than the factory batts. They're pretty
    much useless if I don't top them up before use.

    That's my experience YMMV.

    Butch
    Butch Haynes, Nov 6, 2006
  19. "Butch Haynes" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Perry" <> wrote in message

    > I've purchased 8-9 aftermarket Lithium rechargeables from several of the
    > bigger name online battery retailers-- ranging from the "cheap Charlies"
    > to the ones that charge 60% or so of the cost of factory-branded ones
    > and are supposed to have "Japanese cells."
    >
    > My experience has been about the same with all of them. First I do
    > several charge/discharge cycles to condition them Then if I use them
    > right after I charge them, they're OK-- usually giving about 75-80%
    > capacity of the factory battery.
    >
    > However, if I let them sit a few weeks after charging before using them,
    > they've self-discharged much faster than the factory batts. They're
    > pretty much useless if I don't top them up before use.
    >
    > That's my experience YMMV.

    It is also worth being aware, that generally, higher capacity batteries
    have higher 'self discharge' rates. A friend uses a lot for quite high
    capacity applications, and the higher capacity cells give what they are
    meant to, if used as soon as they are charged. However leave the batteries
    for a week, and the lower capacity cells, then beat the 'high capacity'
    models. This prbably relates to the behaviour reported above...
    Panasonic, make generally good cells, that have proven for me to be
    amongst the best.

    Best Wishes
    Roger Hamlett, Nov 6, 2006