Who makes 19" LCD TV's with Freeview

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Jun 1, 2011.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
    PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
    screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
    Analog tuners.

    With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
    one with a Freeview tuner.
    Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
    clutter, not add to it.

    I do have a size restriction of 450mm width that excludes TV's over 19"
    I've trawled through HN, NL, B&B, DSE et al without success.
    22" and bigger yes! (pricey though) but no 19"

    HN have a 19" TV on special at the moment for $199 (was $248 in
    saturday's paper) that would be ideal but it's got Analog tuners.
    After asking if it was available with Freeview tuners the sales droid's
    response was 'take it or leave it'

    (I noted the huge pile of them they had and the price drop from
    Saturday, methinks the're going to find they are not good sellers)

    Does anyone know of a 19" or smaller LCD TV with Freeview tuners and VGA
    input available in NZ?

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 1, 2011

  2. PeeCee

    Possible Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 13:00:43 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
    >PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
    >screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
    >Analog tuners.
    >
    >With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
    >one with a Freeview tuner.
    >Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
    >clutter, not add to it.
    >
    >I do have a size restriction of 450mm width that excludes TV's over 19"
    >I've trawled through HN, NL, B&B, DSE et al without success.
    >22" and bigger yes! (pricey though) but no 19"
    >
    >HN have a 19" TV on special at the moment for $199 (was $248 in
    >saturday's paper) that would be ideal but it's got Analog tuners.
    >After asking if it was available with Freeview tuners the sales droid's
    >response was 'take it or leave it'

    \

    Yes that is a utter Crap brand the Agent closed down here..

    >(I noted the huge pile of them they had and the price drop from
    >Saturday, methinks the're going to find they are not good sellers)
    >
    >Does anyone know of a 19" or smaller LCD TV with Freeview tuners and VGA
    >input available in NZ?
    >
    >Paul.

    There are some on Trademe, Plus The Warehouse list a Model with Digital
    tuner.

    Plus a Teac model.

    Possible, Jun 1, 2011

  3. PeeCee

    Squiggle Guest

    On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
    > PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
    > screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
    > Analog tuners.
    >
    > With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
    > one with a Freeview tuner.
    > Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
    > clutter, not add to it.

    Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?

    If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    Squiggle, Jun 1, 2011
  4. PeeCee

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:26:41 +1200, Squiggle <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
    >> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
    >> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
    >> Analog tuners.
    >>
    >> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
    >> one with a Freeview tuner.
    >> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
    >> clutter, not add to it.
    >>

    >Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
    >
    >If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    >and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
    capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
    a good brand/model to look for? TIA

    Donchano, Jun 1, 2011
  5. PeeCee

    Squiggle Guest

    On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    > On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:26:41 +1200, Squiggle <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >> Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
    >>
    >> If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    >> and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    > I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
    > capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
    > a good brand/model to look for? TIA

    Sorry, haven't tried to go down that route yet myself. Hopefully others
    in here will be able to recommend something.

    Squiggle, Jun 1, 2011
  6. PeeCee

    Possible Guest

    wrote:

    >On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
    >> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
    >> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
    >> Analog tuners.
    >>
    >> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
    >> one with a Freeview tuner.
    >> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
    >> clutter, not add to it.
    >>

    >Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
    >
    >If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    >and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    Only if you have a descent Graphics card or a fast Dual CPU..

    Possible, Jun 1, 2011
  7. PeeCee

    Possible Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:55:22 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:26:41 +1200, Squiggle <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On 1/06/2011 1:00 p.m., PeeCee threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >>> For some time now I have had a S&V 15" LCD TV mounted to the side of my
    >>> PC workstation. It mainly runs as a TV but doubles up as the second
    >>> screen for my PC when needed. The TV is running fine but of course has
    >>> Analog tuners.
    >>>
    >>> With the change over to Freeview coming I would like to change it for
    >>> one with a Freeview tuner.
    >>> Yes I know I could just add a Freeview STB, but I am trying to reduce
    >>> clutter, not add to it.
    >>>

    >>Do you need/want to run the TV at times when the PC is off?
    >>
    >>If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    >>and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    >I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
    >capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
    >a good brand/model to look for? TIA

    Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

    Possible, Jun 1, 2011
  8. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    On 1/06/2011 7:17 p.m., Possible wrote:

    > Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

    That guide is slow laggy crap so no loss.

    There are ways to scrape the MHEG guide into media center if you can be
    bothered.

    Richard, Jun 2, 2011
  9. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano wrote:
    \>>
    >> If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    >> and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    > I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
    > capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
    > a good brand/model to look for? TIA

    Anything with BDA drivers will work with media center. Some of the cheap
    ones dont have a good frontend so need lots of signal, but if you have a
    rooftop antenna that can deliver a watchable prime etc picture then it
    is plenty.

    I got some for $8 off ebay a while back. Work great, but add another $2
    for the PAL to MMCX adapter leads so you can plug a proper antenna in if
    you are inside and using it.

    Richard, Jun 2, 2011
  10. PeeCee

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:56:50 +1200, Richard <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano wrote:
    >\>>
    >>> If not you could get a decent Monitor and a USB/PCI-E TV capture card
    >>> and have the benefit of being able to record also.

    >> I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
    >> capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
    >> a good brand/model to look for? TIA
    >>

    >Anything with BDA drivers will work with media center. Some of the cheap
    >ones dont have a good frontend so need lots of signal, but if you have a
    >rooftop antenna that can deliver a watchable prime etc picture then it
    >is plenty.
    >
    >I got some for $8 off ebay a while back. Work great, but add another $2
    >for the PAL to MMCX adapter leads so you can plug a proper antenna in if
    >you are inside and using it.

    Thanks. We live in a rural area with poor antennae reception. But
    we're hooked up to SKY HD via a dish. That's why the following USB Sat
    Receiver kit appealed to me:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=379744525

    Donchano, Jun 2, 2011
  11. In message <is756k$61q$>, Richard wrote:

    > Some of the cheap ones dont have a good frontend ...

    Could you just say “RF amplifier�

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2011
  12. PeeCee

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-06-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <is756k$61q$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Some of the cheap ones dont have a good frontend ...

    > Could you just say ?RF amplifier??

    RF is *backend* yes? GUI is middle, movie is front end. TV is ads and some
    programmes

    Gordon, Jun 2, 2011
  13. PeeCee

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-06-02, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:56:50 +1200, Richard <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>On 1/06/2011 6:55 p.m., Donchano wrote:
    >>\>>
    >>>
    >>> I've already got the decent monitor. But TradeMe has a lot of TV
    >>> capture devices, including USB Sat Receiver kits. Could you recommend
    >>> a good brand/model to look for? TIA
    >>>

    >>Anything with BDA drivers will work with media center. Some of the cheap
    >>ones dont have a good frontend so need lots of signal, but if you have a
    >>rooftop antenna that can deliver a watchable prime etc picture then it
    >>is plenty.
    >>
    >>I got some for $8 off ebay a while back. Work great, but add another $2
    >>for the PAL to MMCX adapter leads so you can plug a proper antenna in if
    >>you are inside and using it.

    > Thanks. We live in a rural area with poor antennae reception. But
    > we're hooked up to SKY HD via a dish. That's why the following USB Sat
    > Receiver kit appealed to me:
    >
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=379744525

    http://www.hauppauge.com/

    Nova plus. Works well for me.

    Hauppauge seem to be into making TV tuners, in more models than a Japanese
    car manufacturer.

    Gordon, Jun 2, 2011
  14. PeeCee

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-06-02, Richard <> wrote:
    > On 1/06/2011 7:17 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

    > That guide is slow laggy crap so no loss.
    >
    > There are ways to scrape the MHEG guide into media center if you can be
    > bothered.

    Woger, is that you

    Gordon, Jun 2, 2011
  15. PeeCee

    victor Guest

    On 2/06/2011 6:16 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-06-02, Richard<> wrote:
    >> On 1/06/2011 7:17 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

    >> That guide is slow laggy crap so no loss.
    >>
    >> There are ways to scrape the MHEG guide into media center if you can be
    >> bothered.

    > Woger, is that you

    Don is that you ?

    victor, Jun 2, 2011
  16. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    On 2/06/2011 6:16 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-06-02, Richard<> wrote:
    >> On 1/06/2011 7:17 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes but No Freeview compliant Guide.

    >> That guide is slow laggy crap so no loss.
    >>
    >> There are ways to scrape the MHEG guide into media center if you can be
    >> bothered.

    > Woger, is that you

    Fuckoff, Im not woger!

    Richard, Jun 4, 2011
  17. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    On 2/06/2011 5:10 p.m., Donchano wrote:

    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=379744525

    Hmm, looks just like the QQ box I got off deal extreme a while back for
    much less money.

    Box works fine, the supplied AC adapter died pretty quickly as is
    normally the case with chinese domestic market ones.

    Richard, Jun 4, 2011
  18. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    > In message<is756k$61q$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Some of the cheap ones dont have a good frontend ...

    > Could you just say “RF amplifier�

    Amplified antenna I guess would work. I just got another splitter and
    hooked them up to the rooftop since the stub antenna was artifacting so
    often.

    A DSE freeview box and another one (draco I think) in the same location
    have no problems with just a piece of wire as an antenna.

    Richard, Jun 4, 2011
  19. PeeCee

    Richard Guest

    On 1/06/2011 7:15 p.m., Possible wrote:

    > Only if you have a descent Graphics card or a fast Dual CPU..

    Nope, any card now will do it. Even the inbuilt intel i-something
    graphics works flawlessly for freeview HD under windows 7 media center.

    Richard, Jun 4, 2011
  20. In message <isccns$dc1$>, Richard wrote:

    > On 1/06/2011 7:15 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >
    >> Only if you have a descent Graphics card or a fast Dual CPU..

    > Nope, any card now will do it.

    Note he said “descentâ€.

    :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 4, 2011