Who knows about Internet satellite transmissions?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sigi Rindler, May 19, 2005.

  1. Sigi Rindler

    Sigi Rindler Guest

    A colleague of mine as purchased a yacht and plans to sail to various
    countries for the next years to come. He is planning to live and work on his
    boat.

    He is a translator and wants to continue work for his Japanese clients. The
    only problem is his Internet connection when being somewhere out in the sea
    or moored at harbors.
    What are the least expensive options for transmitting bigger PDF (in the 10
    to 20MB range)?

    I don't know how fast such transmissions are, but it could become extremely
    expensive according to people who had to say something about it. Still,
    nobody of these "advisors" has any experience with these things either. Does
    anybody know better?

    Sigi Rindler, May 19, 2005

  2. Sigi Rindler

    pcbutts1 Guest

    http://www.direcwayusa.com/

    pcbutts1, May 19, 2005

  3. Sigi Rindler

    ng_reader Guest

    ng_reader, May 19, 2005
  4. Sigi Rindler

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, May 19, 2005
  5. Sigi Rindler

    doS Guest

    Carrier Pidgeon..........

    > A colleague of mine as purchased a yacht and plans to sail to various
    > countries for the next years to come. He is planning to live and work on

    his
    > boat.
    >
    > He is a translator and wants to continue work for his Japanese clients.

    The
    > only problem is his Internet connection when being somewhere out in the

    sea
    > or moored at harbors.
    > What are the least expensive options for transmitting bigger PDF (in the

    10
    > to 20MB range)?
    >

    > I don't know how fast such transmissions are, but it could become

    extremely
    > expensive according to people who had to say something about it. Still,
    > nobody of these "advisors" has any experience with these things either.

    Does
    > anybody know better?

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    doS, May 19, 2005
  6. Sigi Rindler

    Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:05:03 +0900, "Sigi Rindler"
    <-net.ne.jp> wrote:

    |>A colleague of mine as purchased a yacht and plans to sail to various
    |>countries for the next years to come. He is planning to live and work on his
    |>boat.
    |>
    |>He is a translator and wants to continue work for his Japanese clients. The
    |>only problem is his Internet connection when being somewhere out in the sea
    |>or moored at harbors.
    |>What are the least expensive options for transmitting bigger PDF (in the 10
    |>to 20MB range)?
    |>

    |>I don't know how fast such transmissions are, but it could become extremely
    |>expensive according to people who had to say something about it. Still,
    |>nobody of these "advisors" has any experience with these things either. Does
    |>anybody know better?

    This is for MotorHomes and such, that I grab'd awhile ago; not sure
    what kind of reception you'd get on a boat.

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:33:12 GMT, "Dave"
    <>
    wrote:

    The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
    (from Dish Network).

    Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
    $600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
    month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
    (Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
    for 15 months.

    Check out Starband at http:www.starband.com

    For info on Direcway goto http://hns.getdway.com/

    Starband runs about $49.95 and Direcway can run up to $99.95 per
    month.

    FCC requirements are that either must be installed by a certified
    technician since mis-aligning the transmitter can screw up the
    satellites.

    Neither is mobile (as in Recreation Vehicle use) unless you have a
    Inet or Motosat system. These are in the $5000 to $6000 price range.
    Some folks are using the systems illegally on RV's. Starband has a
    pilot program where an RV owner can become a certified installer (like
    me, I am on Starband and in a 5th wheel. I have full highspeed
    wherever I go. Starband won't tell up about it on their site)

    Upload speed for satellite is about the same as a 56K modem. Download
    is up to 10 times faster than dial-up. (average is about 50kbs up and
    500kbs down)

    Other options are WiFi wireless networks which require you to be in a
    hot spot to use. This is not an option for a homeowner or someone in a
    rural area.

    Companies like SPRINT and VERIZON offer wireless internet via cell
    phone connections. This is painfully slow and expensive if you use up
    your minutes.

    Bottom line: I have seen all of them in use. Starband and Direcway are
    the best. Forget the rest.

    --
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/18/vibrating_knickers/

    , May 19, 2005
  7. <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > hot spot to use. This is not an option for a homeowner or someone in a
    > rural area.
    >
    > Companies like SPRINT and VERIZON offer wireless internet via cell
    > phone connections. This is painfully slow and expensive if you use up
    > your minutes.
    >
    > Bottom line: I have seen all of them in use. Starband and Direcway are
    > the best. Forget the rest.
    >
    >>I have done some web searches and seen that their are, in the US,
    >>providers
    >>of internet access by satellite, for those users in rural areas. Not
    >>cheap,
    >>but not prohibitive either. Would be interested to know where I can go to
    >>get some feedback on the 3 or 4 providers of such services. Checked one
    >>newsgroup but it was not too active - largely was a repository of adverts.

    You are right in that Direcway serves US, I know that it serves a few other
    places as well - can check their website at www.direcway.com. I am not sure
    they would be able to provide service everywhere your friend probably wants
    to go. US service costs, for home-grade quality, about $60 per month in the
    US.

    http://www.usenet.com

    Churchill, Dave, May 20, 2005