  1. skip

    skip Guest

    Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    skip, Oct 19, 2006

  2. skip wrote:

    > Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    Well, there's RUMORS (unconfirmed as usual) that Apple might now be
    looking to support both in their next system.

    Which, like their now supporting both DVD+R and -R, might be leading
    toward the same conclusion:
    Y'know, where the rest of us all say "A plague on both your houses",
    develop hardware that handles both, and we all forget about it, while
    the two companies pretend to fight it out without us? :)

    Derek Janssen
    ejanss@comcast.,ent

    Derek Janssen, Oct 20, 2006

  3. skip

    Dan Luke Guest

    > who is winniing this war?

    Who cares?

    Dan Luke, Oct 20, 2006
  4. skip

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:29:27 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

    >> who is winniing this war?

    > Who cares?

    Obviously, the OP.

    Tarkus, Oct 20, 2006
  5. skip

    Rich Guest

    "skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    HD-DVD is pounding Blu Ray ATM. Sony's only hope is PS3 buyers picking up
    Blu Ray movies in droves, because the studios' patience is running out.

    Rich, Oct 20, 2006
  6. skip

    Phisherman Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
    lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.

    Phisherman, Oct 20, 2006
  7. skip

    skip Guest

    Phisherman <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    > I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
    > lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.

    Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
    if it was worth it. not much software out there

    skip, Oct 20, 2006
  8. skip

    Justin Guest

    skip wrote on [Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:07:32 GMT]:
    > Phisherman <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    >> I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
    >> lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.
    >>

    > Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
    > if it was worth it. not much software out there

    How would it NOT be worth it?

    Justin, Oct 20, 2006
  9. Justin wrote:

    >>>I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
    >>>lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.
    >>>

    >>Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
    >>if it was worth it. not much software out there

    > How would it NOT be worth it?

    And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
    honest, here:
    Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
    The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
    crush iPod" Sony.

    If it's a format war, it's ALWAYS Sony's fault. Which means there's
    going to be something wrong with it.

    (Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
    recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
    Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

    Derek Janssen (seriously, fiver)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 20, 2006
  10. On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:20:02 -0400, Derek Janssen wrote:

    >>>Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
    >>>if it was worth it. not much software out there

    >> How would it NOT be worth it?

    > And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
    > honest, here:
    > Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
    > The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
    > crush iPod" Sony.

    ATRAC. And its derivatives.

    > If it's a format war, it's ALWAYS Sony's fault. Which means there's
    > going to be something wrong with it.
    >
    > (Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
    > recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
    > Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

    The ultimate winner will be whichever format the porn industry adopts.
    No matter what the medium is, or what its technological strengths are,
    if you can get a lot of porn on it, it'll take off.

    --
    The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
    zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. -Justice Louis D. Brandeis

    Peter H. Coffin, Oct 20, 2006
  11. skip

    Quanta Guest

    "Peter H. Coffin" <> wrote in message

    >>> How would it NOT be worth it?

    >> And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
    >> honest, here:
    >> Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
    >> The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
    >> crush iPod" Sony.

    > ATRAC. And its derivatives.
    >
    >> If it's a format war, it's ALWAYS Sony's fault. Which means there's
    >> going to be something wrong with it.
    >>
    >> (Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
    >> recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
    >> Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

    > The ultimate winner will be whichever format the porn industry adopts.
    > No matter what the medium is, or what its technological strengths are,
    > if you can get a lot of porn on it, it'll take off.

    Actually, the porn industry was very very slow to move to DVD.

    Quanta, Oct 20, 2006
  12. On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip wrote:

    > Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    There's only losers in games like this and its us consumers IMHO
    --
    $irVivor aka Terry
    20/10/2006 23:09:29

    $irVivor & =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A7ire=DFird?=, Oct 20, 2006
  13. Quanta wrote:

    > "Peter H. Coffin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>(Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
    >>>recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
    >>>Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

    >>The ultimate winner will be whichever format the porn industry adopts.
    >>No matter what the medium is, or what its technological strengths are,
    >>if you can get a lot of porn on it, it'll take off.

    > Actually, the porn industry was very very slow to move to DVD.

    No, they still lay claim to "inventing" DVD, by showing us how to use
    alternate-angle, photo galleries, and animated menus.

    Unfortunately, they peaked immediately after that, and just haven't been
    "inventing" the latest new technologies like they used to--
    So far, there just hasn't been any consumer demand for HD, UMD or
    iPod-downloadable porn, and they've got too much pride and a history to
    uphold.
    For them, it's either "both, just in case", or, like everyone else,
    they're not going to bother with it and/or they've been priced out of
    the playing field.

    Derek Janssen (and when even the porn industry can't jump on...ya got
    troubles)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 20, 2006
  14. skip

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >>>Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
    >>>if it was worth it. not much software out there

    >> How would it NOT be worth it?

    >And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
    >honest, here:
    >Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
    > The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
    >crush iPod" Sony.

    Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

    GMAN, Oct 23, 2006
  15. (GMAN) wrote:

    >Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

    For immediate gratificatiion, definitely. Far superior in picture and
    first to offer HiFi sound. Which I think shows that the general public
    just doesn't care for the finer details of picture and sound, leading to
    both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray being a big yawn in the marketplace.

    That immediate gratification remark refers to the fact that my Betamax
    tapes deteriorated greatly over the years, while my VHS tapes, dating back
    26 years now, are still in fine shape. Unrelated to the current DVD scene,
    I know, but typical of my experiences with Sony.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 23, 2006
  16. skip

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, KimbaWLion wrote:
    > (GMAN) wrote:
    >
    >>Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

    >For immediate gratificatiion, definitely. Far superior in picture and
    >first to offer HiFi sound. Which I think shows that the general public
    >just doesn't care for the finer details of picture and sound, leading to
    >both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray being a big yawn in the marketplace.
    >
    >That immediate gratification remark refers to the fact that my Betamax
    >tapes deteriorated greatly over the years, while my VHS tapes, dating back
    >26 years now, are still in fine shape. Unrelated to the current DVD scene,
    >I know, but typical of my experiences with Sony.

    Well basically the economy of scale led to advances in tape formulations in
    the VHS media where as beta media went the way of the dodo bird and no money
    was put into developing formulations for a dying format.

    Too bad too since a proper working super beta can kick most vhs ass.

    GMAN, Oct 23, 2006
  17. skip

    Bill Guest

    >> That immediate gratification remark refers to the fact that my Betamax
    >> tapes deteriorated greatly over the years, while my VHS tapes, dating back
    >> 26 years now, are still in fine shape. Unrelated to the current DVD scene,
    >> I know, but typical of my experiences with Sony.

    This makes me wonder about your Beta deck and its condition at the time
    of recording. I have a stack of Beta cassettes, recorded on a Sony
    SL-2710 Beta deck, dating back to 1984, recorded in both the Beta II and
    Beta III mode. Every tape still plays back beautifully on that same
    deck...I just pulled out and watched a program from one of those tapes
    last week. I stuck mostly with Maxell blanks at the time, though all of
    my tapes have held up beautifully...but Maxell became a favorite, as
    even their standard Beta L-750 tape showed visibly less noise than
    standard Sony or Fuji blanks did at the time, especially in the Beta III
    mode.

    The only tape that I have a problem with was the first Sony L-750
    cassette that had been purchased--and it wasn't the cassette that was
    the issue, it was the deck...a horribly calibrated Sanyo model, their
    first Beta Hi-Fi machine. The few programs that I recorded with it play
    back with horrible periodic mistracking on the Sony deck...and they
    didn't look that good when played back on the Sanyo deck either, back in
    1984, which is why I packed it up and returned it to Circuit City for a
    refund after only a couple of days.

    Bill, Oct 24, 2006
  18. Bill <> wrote:

    >Maxell became a favorite, as
    >even their standard Beta L-750 tape showed visibly less noise than
    >standard Sony or Fuji blanks did at the time, especially in the Beta III
    >mode.

    That's my problem... I bought mostly Sony tapes. Silly me.
    Although they seemed fine when new, they developed tremendous dropouts in a
    few years, and even clogged up the heads.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 24, 2006
  19. skip

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:55:50 GMT, Phisherman <> Gave
    us:

    >On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

    >I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
    >lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.

    You forgot to inflate your shoes, and your nose is on crooked...

    JoeBloe, Oct 25, 2006
  20. skip

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:20:02 -0400, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

    WOz happenin', man? :-]

    JoeBloe, Oct 25, 2006