    been released on VHS or DVD.

    Really strange. Anybody know why?

    Arch Stanton
    Arch Stanton, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Arch Stanton

    lugnut Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:00:38 -0500, Arch Stanton <>
    wrote:

    >I have a non-computer literate/non-'Net using friend who is a video nut
    >and has a collection of VHS and DVDs that would rival Netflix. He was
    >trying to fill in a gap in his collection with an old John Wayne movie
    >called "The High and the Mighty."
    >
    >I never heard of it but agreed to use the 'Net to find where he could buy
    >it. Sure enough, it was an Oscar winning movie, from a best selling book,
    >which made a top of the charts song and had THE movie Icon for it's star.
    >Hey, sounds good. I would like to see that one also.
    >
    >Small problem... From what I can see, this movie has never been shown on
    >TV or cable, is not in the play lists of the movie channels, and has never
    >been released on VHS or DVD.
    >
    >Really strange. Anybody know why?
    >
    >Arch Stanton

    Wayne's estate refuses to allow this one to be released for some
    reason, but I have no personal idea *why*.

    Although it seemed like not too long ago I heard something about this
    finally being released on DVD...

    -lugnut
    lugnut, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Arch Stanton

    Jim Hollis Guest

    This film has been shown in years past and think the last time was on HBO in
    the early 1980's. Paramount now has the rights and it is scheduled for DVD
    release in 2005.

    Jim Hollis, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Arch Stanton

    Arch Stanton Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:21:36 -0600, Jim Hollis wrote:

    > This film has been shown in years past and think the last time was on HBO
    > in the early 1980's. Paramount now has the rights and it is scheduled for
    > DVD release in 2005.

    Ah so. Thanks

    Arch Stanton
    Arch Stanton, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Arch Stanton

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Arch Stanton <> wrote:
    >I have a non-computer literate/non-'Net using friend who is a video nut
    >and has a collection of VHS and DVDs that would rival Netflix. He was
    >trying to fill in a gap in his collection with an old John Wayne movie
    >called "The High and the Mighty."
    >
    >I never heard of it but agreed to use the 'Net to find where he could buy
    >it. Sure enough, it was an Oscar winning movie, from a best selling book,
    >which made a top of the charts song and had THE movie Icon for it's star.
    >Hey, sounds good. I would like to see that one also.
    >
    >Small problem... From what I can see, this movie has never been shown on
    >TV or cable, is not in the play lists of the movie channels, and has never
    >been released on VHS or DVD.
    >
    >Really strange. Anybody know why?
    >
    >Arch Stanton

    <http://pittsburghlive.
    com/x/tribune-review/entertainment/movies/edblank/s_249650.html>

    "And now, at last, we'll get two Batjac movies starring John Wayne that have
    been stashed in vaults for too long, "The High and the Mighty" and "Island in
    the Sky."

    Batjac, Wayne's own production company, was run after the film icon's 1979
    death by his oldest son, Michael Wayne, who died April 2, 2003.

    Michael's office, in fielding calls over the years, always said simply there
    were no immediate plans to release the two missing links in the John Wayne
    canon because major restoration would be required.

    The trade paper Variety quotes Gretchen Wayne, Michael's widow and Batjac's
    current president, as saying "The High and the Mighty" was severely
    rain-damaged but has been restored.

    It was shown on TV just once in 1980 but otherwise has been invisible for
    nearly half a century -- "Island in the Sky" even longer.

    Paramount has acquired them, along with two other Batjac-Wayne productions,
    "Hondo" (1953) and "McLintock" (1962), and will release them on DVD through
    Paramount Home Video in May 2005.

    "Hondo" and "McLintock" have been on VHS and cable for about 11 years. The
    quartet will be available for cable showings at some point, too, probably
    about six months after the DVD releases. "

    SO , hold on a few months and get it on DVD in May!!!!!!
    GMAN, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Arch Stanton

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, (lugnut) wrote:
    >On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:00:38 -0500, Arch Stanton <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have a non-computer literate/non-'Net using friend who is a video nut
    >>and has a collection of VHS and DVDs that would rival Netflix. He was
    >>trying to fill in a gap in his collection with an old John Wayne movie
    >>called "The High and the Mighty."
    >>
    >>I never heard of it but agreed to use the 'Net to find where he could buy
    >>it. Sure enough, it was an Oscar winning movie, from a best selling book,
    >>which made a top of the charts song and had THE movie Icon for it's star.
    >>Hey, sounds good. I would like to see that one also.
    >>
    >>Small problem... From what I can see, this movie has never been shown on
    >>TV or cable, is not in the play lists of the movie channels, and has never
    >>been released on VHS or DVD.
    >>
    >>Really strange. Anybody know why?
    >>
    >>Arch Stanton

    >Wayne's estate refuses to allow this one to be released for some
    >reason, but I have no personal idea *why*.
    >
    >Although it seemed like not too long ago I heard something about this
    >finally being released on DVD...
    >
    >-lugnut

    It was water damaged and has now been restored

    GMAN, Jan 8, 2005