Who is in charged of the Hosts file in XP ??

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Penang, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. Penang

    Penang Guest

    AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

    My PC gave me lots of sh*ts lately. It didn't even allow me to log on
    to Gmail !

    After scanning the PC for virus / trojans and whatnots and not finding
    anything, I searched the hosts file !

    Long and behold, inside the hosts file, GOOGLE.COM IS ALL OVER THE
    PLACE !!

    But this is strange ! Very strange !!

    I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
    access to this PC.

    I could access Gmail without any problem at all, until last Friday,
    when my PC started to act up.

    Which means, someone, or something, must have put in GOOGLE.COM to the
    Hosts file !

    Can anyone please tell me who or what is in charged of the Hosts
    file ?

    And please tell me how to STOP that "something" or "someone" from
    messing up the Hosts file of my PC again.

    Thank you all !!
    Penang, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Penang

    James Egan Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Penang <>
    wrote:

    >And please tell me how to STOP that "something" or "someone" from
    >messing up the Hosts file of my PC again.

    One way of reducing the chance of it happening again is to move it
    away from its default location. Location is settable here
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

    Jim.
    James Egan, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Penang

    Guest

    Penang <> wrote:

    >I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
    >access to this PC.

    If you run I.E. (activeX) the host file or any file can be edited on
    command.
    --

    http://bomomo.com/
    , Oct 27, 2008
  4. Penang

    Unruh Guest

    Penang <> writes:

    >AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

    I agree. You posted all over the world including in linux groups and never
    told us you were using Windows.

    >My PC gave me lots of sh*ts lately. It didn't even allow me to log on
    >to Gmail !

    This may come as a surprize to you, but Windows machines are notoriously
    prone to being cracked and malicious people taking it over and doing nasty
    things.

    >After scanning the PC for virus / trojans and whatnots and not finding
    >anything, I searched the hosts file !

    >Long and behold, inside the hosts file, GOOGLE.COM IS ALL OVER THE
    >PLACE !!

    >But this is strange ! Very strange !!

    >I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
    >access to this PC.

    Uh, but anyone in the world has network access to it.

    >I could access Gmail without any problem at all, until last Friday,
    >when my PC started to act up.

    >Which means, someone, or something, must have put in GOOGLE.COM to the
    >Hosts file !

    >Can anyone please tell me who or what is in charged of the Hosts
    >file ?

    Anyone in th eworld who can get onto your computer.

    >And please tell me how to STOP that "something" or "someone" from
    >messing up the Hosts file of my PC again.

    Run a decent operating system?

    Unruh, Oct 27, 2008
  5. Penang

    Leo Kowalski Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > Penang <****@gmail.com> writes:
    >
    >>AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

    > I agree. You posted all over the world including in linux groups and
    > never told us you were using Windows.

    Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,
    alt.computer.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    Which is the "linux" group?

    >>I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
    >>access to this PC.

    > Uh, but anyone in the world has network access to it.

    You do Bill? What's your secret?
    Leo Kowalski, Oct 27, 2008
  6. Penang

    Unruh Guest

    Leo Kowalski <> writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Penang <****@gmail.com> writes:
    >>
    >>>AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !!

    >> I agree. You posted all over the world including in linux groups and
    >> never told us you were using Windows.
    >>

    >Newsgroups:
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,
    >alt.computer.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    >Which is the "linux" group?

    I might have been wrong, but a post describing almost identical symptoms
    was posted to the linux newsgroups-- someone who complained that
    a ping to www.google.com gave hime 127.0.0.1 as the ip address.
    I am afraid I assumed it was the same poster. If not I appologize and
    suspect that there is some crack out there where the hosts file is being
    munged for google.com.

    >>>I am the only user for this PC. I am the only one who have physical
    >>>access to this PC.

    >> Uh, but anyone in the world has network access to it.

    >You do Bill? What's your secret?

    His IP address.
    Unruh, Oct 27, 2008