Who is " Email Address Withheld" at MSR Netscan

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bret, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Bret

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Bret

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Bret

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Bret

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:01:19 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Bret wrote:
    >> I see the number 2 poster to nz.comp has Email Address Withheld, and I
    >> was wondering who this poster is and how do you do this.
    >>
    >> http://netscan.research.microsoft.c...span=m&searchdate=6/13/2004&searchfor=nz.comp

    > In this case it's AD, but anyone who uses will get the same
    > response.
    >
    > http://www.privacy.net/email/

    It's a byproduct of using a certain free german newsserver.

    They require you to use your actual unmunged email address (ouch).
    The only bogus email address they let you use is , so I
    suspect there are a few people in here using it.

    I'd rather use a munged one in case someone wanted to email me.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 16, 2004
  5. Bret

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/Static/reportcard.asp?timespan=m&searc
    hdate=6/13/2004&searchfor=nz.comp

    >> In this case it's AD, but anyone who uses will get the
    >> same response.
    >>
    >> http://www.privacy.net/email/

    > Cheers EMB

    Shite! I'm #3 on that list.

    Ah, least it's in order of days active, not number of posts. I'm mean, I'm
    still in the top 10 on number of posts but that's about what I expected.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 16, 2004
  6. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:44:29 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:

    >http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/Static/reportcard.asp?timespan=m&searc
    >hdate=6/13/2004&searchfor=nz.comp
    >>>
    >>> In this case it's AD, but anyone who uses will get the
    >>> same response.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.privacy.net/email/

    >> Cheers EMB

    >Shite! I'm #3 on that list.
    >
    >Ah, least it's in order of days active, not number of posts. I'm mean, I'm
    >still in the top 10 on number of posts but that's about what I expected.

    I wouldn't worry too much, they say "Netscan data is updated monthly"
    Dated the 13/6/04 , they are getting a bit behind :)

    Bret, Sep 16, 2004
  7. AD. wrote:
    > It's a byproduct of using a certain free german newsserver.
    > They require you to use your actual unmunged email address (ouch).

    thats not strictly true.
    I use it(check my headers) and my address is as munged as I like it to be.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 16, 2004
  8. Bret

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:17:16 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> It's a byproduct of using a certain free german newsserver. They require
    >> you to use your actual unmunged email address (ouch).

    > thats not strictly true.
    > I use it(check my headers) and my address is as munged as I like it to be.

    That's good to know, I hadn't checked whether or not that was still
    necessary after their changeover.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 16, 2004