who invented the trinity?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by small giant, Dec 10, 2007.

  1. small giant

    small giant Guest

    The three monotheistic religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam -
    all purport to share one fundamental concept: belief in God as the
    Supreme Being, the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe. Known as
    tawhid in Islam, this concept of the Oneness of God was stressed by
    Moses in a Biblical passage known as the "Shema" or the Jewish creed
    of faith: "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord." (Deuteronomy
    6:4)

    It was repeated word-for-word approximately 1500 years later by Jesus
    when he said: "...The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O
    Israel; the Lord our God is one Lord." (Mark 12:29)

    Muhammad came along approximately 600 years later, bringing the same
    message again: "And your God is One God: There is no God but
    He, ..." (The Qur'an 2:163)

    Christianity has digressed from the concept of the Oneness of God,
    however, into a vague and mysterious doctrine that was formulated
    during the fourth century. This doctrine, which continues to be a
    source of controversy both within and without the Christian religion,
    is known as the Doctrine of the Trinity. Simply put, the Christian
    doctrine of the Trinity states that God is the union of three divine
    persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - in one divine
    being.

    If that concept, put in basic terms, sounds confusing, the flowery
    language in the actual text of the doctrine lends even more mystery to
    the matter:

    "...we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity... for there
    is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, another of the Holy
    Ghost is all one... they are not three gods, but one God... the whole
    three persons are co-eternal and co-equal... he therefore that will be
    save must thus think of the Trinity..." (excerpts from the Athanasian
    Creed)
    Let's put this together in a different form: one person, God the
    Father + one person, God the Son + one person, God the Holy Ghost =
    one person, God the What? Is this English or is this gibberish?

    It is said that Athanasius, the bishop who formulated this doctrine,
    confessed that the more he wrote on the matter, the less capable he
    was of clearly expressing his thoughts regarding it.

    How did such a confusing doctrine get its start?

    Trinity in the Bible
    References in the Bible to a Trinity of divine beings are vague, at
    best.

    In Matthew 28:19, we find Jesus telling his disciples to go out and
    preach to all nations. While the "Great Commission" does make mention
    of the three persons who later become components of the Trinity, the
    phrase "...baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son,
    and of the Holy Ghost" is quite clearly an addition to Biblical text -
    that is, not the actual words of Jesus - as can be seen by two
    factors:

    Baptism in the early Church, as discussed by Paul in his letters, was
    done only in the name of Jesus; and
    The "Great Commission" found in the first gospel written, that of
    Mark, bears no mention of Father, Son and/or Holy Ghost - see Mark
    16:15.
    The only other reference in the Bible to a Trinity can be found in the
    Epistle of I John 5:7, Biblical scholars of today, however, have
    admitted that the phrase "...there are three that bear record in
    heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are
    one" is definitely a "later addition" to Biblical test, and it is not
    found in any of today's versions of the Bible.

    It can, therefore, be seen that the concept of a Trinity of divine
    beings was not an idea put forth by Jesus or any other prophet of God.
    This doctrine, now subscribed to by Christians all over the world, is
    entirely man-made in origin.

    The Doctrine Takes Shape
    While Paul of Tarsus, the man who could rightfully be considered the
    true founder of Christianity, did formulate many of its doctrines,
    that of the Trinity was not among them. He did, however, lay the
    groundwork for such when he put forth the idea of Jesus being a
    "divine Son." After all, a Son does need a Father, and what about a
    vehicle for God's revelations to man? In essence, Paul named the
    principal players, but it was the later Church people who put the
    matter together.

    Tertullian, a lawyer and presbyter of the third century Church in
    Carthage, was the first to use the word "Trinity" when he put forth
    the theory that the Son and the Spirit participate in the being of
    God, but all are of one being of substance with the Father.

    A Formal Doctrine is Drawn Up
    When controversy over the matter of the Trinity blew up in 318 between
    two church men from Alexandria - Arius, the deacon, and Alexander, his
    bishop - Emperor Constantine stepped into the fray.

    Although Christian dogma was a complete mystery to him, he did realize
    that a unified church was necessary for a strong kingdom. When
    negotiation failed to settle the dispute, Constantine called for the
    first ecumenical council in Church history in order to settle the
    matter once and for all.

    Six weeks after the 300 bishops first gathered at Nicea in 325, the
    doctrine of the Trinity was hammered out. The God of the Christians
    was now seen as having three essences, or natures, in the form of the
    Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

    The Church Puts Its Foot Down
    The matter was far from settled, however, despite high hopes for such
    on the part of Constantine. Arius and the new bishop of Alexandria, a
    man named Athanasius, began arguing over the matter even as the Nicene
    Creed was being signed; "Arianism" became a catch-word from that time
    onward for anyone who did not hold to the doctrine of the Trinity.

    It wasn't until 451, at the Council of Chalcedon that, with the
    approval of the Pope, the Nicene/Constantinople Creed was set as
    authoritative. Debate on the matter was no longer tolerated; to speak
    out against the Trinity was now considered blasphemy, and such earned
    stiff sentences that ranged from mutilation to death. Christians now
    turned on Christians, maiming and slaughtering thousands because of a
    difference of opinion.

    Debate Continues
    Brutal punishments and even death did not stop the controversy over
    the doctrine of the Trinity, however, and the said controversy
    continues even today.

    The majority of Christians, when asked to explain this fundamental
    doctrine of their faith, can offer nothing more than "I believe it
    because I was told to do so." It is explained away as "mystery" - yet
    the Bible says in I Corinthians 14:33 that "... God is not the author
    of confusion..."

    The Unitarian denomination of Christianity has kept alive the
    teachings of Arius in saying that God is one; they do not believe in
    the Trinity. As a result, mainstream Christians abhor them, and the
    National Council of Churches has refused their admittance. In
    Unitarianism, the hope is kept alive that Christians will someday
    return to the preachings of Jesus: "...Thou shalt worship the Lord thy
    God, and Him only shalt thou serve." (Luke 4:8)

    Islam and the Matter of the Trinity
    While Christianity may have a problem defining the essence of God,
    such is not the case in Islam.

    "They do blaspheme who say: Allah is one of three in a Trinity, for
    there is no god except One God." (Qur'an 5:73) It is worth noting that
    the Arabic language Bible uses the name "Allah" as the name of God.

    Suzanne Haneef, in her book WHAT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ISLAM AND
    MUSLIMS (Library of Islam, 1985), puts the matter quite succinctly
    when she says, "But God is not like a pie or an apple which can be
    divided into three thirds which form one whole; if God is three
    persons or possesses three parts, He is assuredly not the Single,
    Unique, Indivisible Being which God is and which Christianity
    professes to believe in." (pp. 183-184)

    Looking at it from another angle, the Trinity designates God as being
    three separate entities - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If
    God is the Father and also the Son, He would then be the Father of
    Himself because He is His own Son. This is not exactly logical.

    Christianity claims to be a monotheistic religion. Monotheism,
    however, has as its fundamental belief that God is One; the Christian
    doctrine of the Trinity - God being Three-in-One - is seen by Islam as
    a form of polytheism. Christians don't revere just One God, they
    revere three.

    This is a charge not taken lightly by Christians, however. They, in
    turn, accuse the Muslims of not even knowing what the Trinity is,
    pointing out that the Qur'an sets it up as Allah the Father, Jesus the
    Son, and Mary his mother. While veneration of Mary has been a figment
    of the Catholic Church since 431 when she was given the title "Mother
    of God" by the Council of Ephesus, a closer examination of the verse
    in the Qur'an (5:116) most often cited by Christians in support of
    their accusation, shows that the designation of Mary by the Qur'an as
    a "member" of the Trinity, is simply not true.

    While the Qur'an does condemn both trinitarianism (the Qur'an 4:17)
    and the worship of Jesus and his mother Mary (the Qur'an 5:116),
    nowhere does it identify the actual three components of the Christian
    Trinity. The position of the Qur'an is that WHO or WHAT comprises this
    doctrine is not important; what is important is that the very notion
    of a Trinity is an affront against the concept of One God.

    In conclusion, we see that the doctrine of the Trinity is a concept
    conceived entirely by man; there is no sanction whatsoever from God to
    be found regarding the matter simply because the whole idea of a
    Trinity of divine beings has no place in monotheism. In the Qur'an,
    God's Final Revelations to mankind, we find His stand quite clearly
    stated in a number of eloquent passages:

    "...your God is One God: whoever expects to meet his Lord, let him
    work righteousness, and, in the worship of his Lord, admit no one as
    partner." (Qur'an 18:110)
    "...take not, with God, another object of worship, lest you should be
    thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected." (Qur'an 17:39)

    ....Because, as God tells us over and over again in a Message that is
    echoed throughout All His Revealed Scriptures:

    "...I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore, serve Me (and no
    other)..." (Qur'an 21:92)

    see this site for more information www.sultan.org

    and this is my mobile 00966566299135

    small giant, Dec 10, 2007

  2. small giant

    Yoshi Guest

    "small giant" <> wrote in message
    > It can, therefore, be seen that the concept of a Trinity of divine
    > beings was not an idea put forth by Jesus or any other prophet of God.
    > This doctrine, now subscribed to by Christians all over the world, is
    > entirely man-made in origin.

    Listen, moron:

    ALL religion is "entirely man-made in origin" Take your Islamic bullshit
    somewhere else. This is a photography newsgroup.

    Yoshi, Dec 10, 2007

  3. small giant

    Deep Reset Guest

    Who invented Trinity?

    Wasn't that Oppenheimer?

    Deep Reset, Dec 10, 2007
  4. small giant

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Dec 10, 11:43 am, "Deep Reset" <> wrote:
    > Who invented Trinity?
    >
    > Wasn't that Oppenheimer?

    Correct. Oppie collaborated with Leon Uris.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Dec 11, 2007
  5. small giant

    Stewy Guest

    In article
    <>,
    small giant <> wrote:

    <slightly snipped>

    The Trinity was by Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll.

    Next question, please!

    Stewy, Dec 15, 2007