Who Invented the Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR and the
    Walkman, and co-invented the CD player with Philips. That German guy (can't
    remember his name) invented MP3s. The Armed Forces, if I am right, invented
    the Internet--although I've never heard who gets credit for doing things
    which made the Internet become a consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces
    thing. General Motors I am told is credited with the invention of automatic
    transmissions in cars. Henry Ford is credited with automobiles at least in
    terms of breakthroughs which made cars available to others besides the rich.

    But anyway--which company or individual likely is the one credited for the
    invention of the digital camera? I mean, maybe I'm making too much of
    this--and I in fact still used film (Nikon N80, recently even owned a
    Rolleicord twin-lens-reflex {TLR}) in much of my "hobbyist" work (also use a
    Nikon Coolpix 5700 for such "hobbyist" work). But to me, the invention of
    the digital camera has become one of THE big things in terms of key
    inventions--right up there with the Internet, the VCR, the CD player and
    color television.

    But anyway--which company or individual is credited with the invention of
    the digital camera? Beyond that, which models if any would be considered
    historic--analogous to the Minolta Maxxum 7000 of the early 80s or the
    Brownie camera of 1900.

    Let the opinions begin.

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 5, 2004

  2. A lot of the thrust behind the development of the digital camera (and the
    internet) came from the pornography industry.

    Marlo Brandon, Aug 5, 2004

  3. In article <AGhQc.2998$yh.1992@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
    <> wrote:

    > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR and the
    > Walkman, and co-invented the CD player with Philips. That German guy (can't
    > remember his name) invented MP3s. The Armed Forces, if I am right, invented
    > the Internet--although I've never heard who gets credit for doing things
    > which made the Internet become a consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces
    > thing. General Motors I am told is credited with the invention of automatic
    > transmissions in cars. Henry Ford is credited with automobiles at least in
    > terms of breakthroughs which made cars available to others besides the rich.
    >
    > But anyway--which company or individual likely is the one credited for the
    > invention of the digital camera? I mean, maybe I'm making too much of
    > this--and I in fact still used film (Nikon N80, recently even owned a
    > Rolleicord twin-lens-reflex {TLR}) in much of my "hobbyist" work (also use a
    > Nikon Coolpix 5700 for such "hobbyist" work). But to me, the invention of
    > the digital camera has become one of THE big things in terms of key
    > inventions--right up there with the Internet, the VCR, the CD player and
    > color television.
    >
    > But anyway--which company or individual is credited with the invention of
    > the digital camera? Beyond that, which models if any would be considered
    > historic--analogous to the Minolta Maxxum 7000 of the early 80s or the
    > Brownie camera of 1900.
    >
    > Let the opinions begin.

    No opinion about it. The first digital camera available to the general
    public came from Apple...the Quicktake 100. Took 8 pictures in hi-res
    mode and 16 in low-res...640x480. It was a beautiful thing. I've got
    a 150 here and it still works (16 hi-res/32 low-res).
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Larry R Harrison Jr

    ferret Guest

    Texas Instruments patented a film-less electronic camera in 1972, the first
    to do so. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Porn industry but was for
    Spy Satellites

    ferret, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Dave Busch Guest

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:18:46 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
    <> wrote:

    >But anyway--which company or individual is credited with the invention of
    >the digital camera? Beyond that, which models if any would be considered
    >historic--analogous to the Minolta Maxxum 7000 of the early 80s or the
    >Brownie camera of 1900.
    >
    >Let the opinions begin.
    >
    >LRH

    If you're looking for true digital cameras costing less than thousands
    of dollars, the Apple QuickTake 100 (Feb. 1994) has to be the first.
    By late 1995, the Casio QV-11 had an LCD monitor.

    However, both were preceded by the Sony Mavica (August 1981), which
    was more of an *electronic* camera: a kind of video camera that could
    capture and display individual frames. Think how far ahead of its
    time more than 25 years ago was a camera with a 570 x 490 pixel CCD
    sensor rated at ISO 200, interchangeable 25mm WA, 50mm normal, and
    16-65mm zoom. You could store up to 50 images on a two-inch floppy.

    Even further back was the first film-free electronic film camera
    patented by TI in 1972, but never actually built (I think) or
    marketed.

    True (non-consumer) digital photography probably had its beginnings
    during the Cold War of the 60s, when the spy folks (plus NASA) began
    switching to digital imaging as a way to bypass the nasty habit of
    analog signals to fade in and out, say, on their way back from the
    Moon or space probes.
    Dave Busch, Aug 5, 2004
  6. "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in

    Now - I don't think the question is all that easy to answr. A
    digital camera is a general thing that no one really invents. It just
    happens when it is time to happen.

    You can invent several things needed to make a digital camera.
    Here is a non complete list:
    1. The camera in the first place :)
    2. Solid state imagers (e.g. CCD or CMOS)
    3. A/D-conveters
    4. Solid state memory
    5. ...

    > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR and
    > the Walkman, and co-invented the CD player with Philips. That German
    > guy (can't remember his name) invented MP3s.

    Those are specific implementations.

    > The Armed Forces, if I am
    > right, invented the Internet--although I've never heard who gets
    > credit for doing things which made the Internet become a
    > consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces thing.

    It was the universities all over the world that spread the technique.
    In those "easier to live" days there were lots of people in the
    universities that had "spare time" to test new things - and out came
    fantastic things like UNIX. Today everything is goal oriented and
    everything must be motivated in advance, so - nothing new and unexpected
    really happens.

    > General Motors I am told
    > is credited with the invention of automatic transmissions in cars.
    > Henry Ford is credited with automobiles at least in terms of
    > breakthroughs which made cars available to others besides the rich.

    Those are also specific implementations.

    I don't think anyone invented the car.

    > But anyway--which company or individual likely is the one credited for
    > the invention of the digital camera? I mean, maybe I'm making too much
    > of this--and I in fact still used film (Nikon N80, recently even owned
    > a Rolleicord twin-lens-reflex {TLR}) in much of my "hobbyist" work
    > (also use a Nikon Coolpix 5700 for such "hobbyist" work). But to me,
    > the invention of the digital camera has become one of THE big things
    > in terms of key inventions--right up there with the Internet, the VCR,
    > the CD player and color television.
    >
    > But anyway--which company or individual is credited with the invention
    > of the digital camera? Beyond that, which models if any would be
    > considered historic--analogous to the Minolta Maxxum 7000 of the early
    > 80s or the Brownie camera of 1900.
    >
    > Let the opinions begin.

    My vote - no one and all!

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Larry R Harrison Jr

    chris French Guest

    In message <AGhQc.2998$yh.1992@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
    <> writes
    >The Armed Forces, if I am right, invented
    >the Internet--although I've never heard who gets credit for doing things
    >which made the Internet become a consumer-thing

    Tim Berners-Lee, while at CERN developed the WWW, or at least developed
    technology that what would turn into the WWW - if you see the WWW as
    more of media than a technology or a thing.

    --
    Chris French
    chris French, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Charlie Self Guest

    Chris French responds:

    >In message <AGhQc.2998$yh.1992@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
    ><> writes
    >>The Armed Forces, if I am right, invented
    >>the Internet--although I've never heard who gets credit for doing things
    >>which made the Internet become a consumer-thing

    >Tim Berners-Lee, while at CERN developed the WWW, or at least developed
    >technology that what would turn into the WWW - if you see the WWW as
    >more of media than a technology or a thing.

    Most major inventions seem to be cooperative endeavors (overall: individuals
    may not even know each other), with the spark coming from one person, and being
    taken to its current position by many others. Small things like the paper clip
    may be invented by one person, but it seems to me that most larger creations
    are much more developments than inventions, with many people involved. The OP
    posited Henry Ford more or less as the inventor of the automobile, which is
    patent nonsense: Ford invented a method for producing automobiles rapidly, long
    after the original models had worn out their tires. Who took a telescope lens
    and first used it to focus on film? Who was the first to make a pinhole camera?
    Who was the first to...and the list goes on, step-by-step, with each successive
    step getting a product or process closer to what we know today (but almost
    certainly not like what people 100 years from now will know).

    Charlie Self
    "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
    those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
    Baker
    Charlie Self, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Guest

    , Aug 5, 2004
  10. The real answer:

    A guy named Steve Sasson, working in Kodak's research labs built the first
    known digital camera. It's sitting in the lobby of my building along with a
    number of other Kodak firsts. It's about the size of two shoe boxes with a
    number of wire-wrapped boards stuffed into it and a lens poking out the
    side. The device was portable, required 16 AA batteries,captured a whopping
    10K pixels and saved the images on a cassette tape from Digital Equpment
    Corp. The proto was completed and working in 1976.If you're interested in
    how much Steve contributed to what is todays modern digital camera you
    should take a browse through the patents issued in his name. It' spretty
    impressive. Steve still works here.

    This is built upon work by others inluding Bryce Bayer, known for his
    invention of the well known Bayer CFA and the math behind the turning of
    Bayer data into real images. The patent in his name for Bayer CFA's expired
    about 10 years ago. I never met this guy, he reitred from Kodak long before
    I got here.

    BTW, the Apple QuickTake 100 was designed by Kodak and built at Chinon
    industries (now a Kodak subsidiary) along with the Kodak DC40 and DC50 which
    were all from the same design heriatage.

    William Jackson, Aug 5, 2004
  11. Larry R Harrison Jr

    nitzsche Guest

    JPL invented the charged coupled device

    The rest history.
    nitzsche, Aug 5, 2004
  12. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Skip M Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > I don't think anyone invented the car.
    >

    > /Roland

    Actually, Gottleib Daimler and Karl Benz are credited with inventing the
    automobile as we know it now, working as fierce competitors in the 1880s

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Aug 5, 2004
  13. Larry R Harrison Jr

    jean Guest

    In 1771 a french military engineer is credited with the first "automobile"
    (meaning can move by itself) when he installed a stem engine on a 3 wheel
    cart.

    Jean

    jean, Aug 5, 2004
  14. Larry R Harrison Jr

    jean Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" <> a écrit dans le
    message de news:Xns953C6304C8B57klotjohan@130.133.1.4...
    > "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in
    >
    > Now - I don't think the question is all that easy to answr. A
    > digital camera is a general thing that no one really invents. It just
    > happens when it is time to happen.
    >
    > You can invent several things needed to make a digital camera.
    > Here is a non complete list:
    > 1. The camera in the first place :)
    > 2. Solid state imagers (e.g. CCD or CMOS)
    > 3. A/D-conveters
    > 4. Solid state memory
    > 5. ...
    >
    > > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR and
    > > the Walkman, and co-invented the CD player with Philips. That German
    > > guy (can't remember his name) invented MP3s.

    > Those are specific implementations.
    >
    > > The Armed Forces, if I am
    > > right, invented the Internet--although I've never heard who gets
    > > credit for doing things which made the Internet become a
    > > consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces thing.

    > It was the universities all over the world that spread the technique.
    > In those "easier to live" days there were lots of people in the
    > universities that had "spare time" to test new things - and out came
    > fantastic things like UNIX. Today everything is goal oriented and
    > everything must be motivated in advance, so - nothing new and unexpected
    > really happens.

    Didn't Bell Labs in New Jersey develop UNIX?

    Jean
    jean, Aug 5, 2004
  15. "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR and the
    > Walkman, and co-invented the CD player with Philips. That German guy

    (can't
    > remember his name) invented MP3s. The Armed Forces, if I am right,

    invented
    > the Internet--although I've never heard who gets credit for doing things
    > which made the Internet become a consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces
    > thing. General Motors I am told is credited with the invention of

    automatic
    > transmissions in cars. Henry Ford is credited with automobiles at least in
    > terms of breakthroughs which made cars available to others besides the

    rich.

    It's not clear cut at all.

    Sony brought the VCR to the mass market, but developed only the Betamax tape
    format, the process of helical scan recording was developed by Ampex, who
    sold video tape recorders long before the tape was placed into a Betamax
    cassette.

    Similarly, Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, and GM did not invent
    the automatic transmission.

    Steven M. Scharf, Aug 5, 2004
  16. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Don Stauffer Guest

    I certainly agree with this. The current digital cameras evolved, being
    a conjunction of film photography and video. Earliest imaging CCD chips
    were designed to replace vidicons in TV cameras (plus some military
    uses). Earliest consumer use was in camcorders. Some consumer still
    cameras were made using these chips, but they were pretty low (VGA)
    resolution. Still, they sold well enough to convince companies to
    develop higher res chips.

    One early development of electronic still photography was military for
    space recon. It was a lot easier than reentry capsules with film that
    needed to be recovered.

    Lunar Orbiter was an interesting piece of history. It used a film
    camera, film was developed onboard, then run through an onboard
    scanner. Results were marvelous.

    Earliest electronic photography was analog, but digital formats offered
    advantages in image storage and transmission.

    Keep in mind that even today's digicams are analog in the front end.
    The CCD chip is analog, followed by an A/D.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Aug 5, 2004
  17. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Jeff Guest

    Al Gore invented the internet, right? :) Seriously, Vincent Cerf is
    typically referred to as the father of the internet.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 5, 2004
  18. yes, Unix was initially developed at Bell Labs

    My recollection on the history of the internet was that the ability to
    connect multiple computers separated by great distance was developed at a
    number of universities under funding from the Defense department (DARPA I
    believe) and was originally known as ARPAnet.

    William Jackson, Aug 5, 2004
  19. Larry R Harrison Jr

    greg Guest

    "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR…

    Whoa, I'm not sure I believe that.
    greg, Aug 5, 2004
  20. In article <>, Don Stauffer wrote:
    > Keep in mind that even today's digicams are analog in the front end.

    Including all that glass used to put the image on the CCD. :cool:

    Roger
    Roger Whitehead, Aug 5, 2004