    albeit as slang.

    Woger, to give crap advice 99% of the time, but advice which does get a
    reponse.
    Gordon, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Gordon

    pete Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Okay people, while I have been reading this ng for longer than it takes
    > for a decade to pass, I am darned if I can remember who gave life to the
    > term Woger. So who was it?
    >
    > Secondly, let us in 2004 allow this term to enter the language as a word,
    > albeit as slang.
    >
    > Woger, to give crap advice 99% of the time, but advice which does get a
    > reponse.

    Dunno if its the origin, but I do recall a movie in which two mentally
    handicapped (are you allowed to say that anymore?) people wanted lo lead a
    life together. Toward the end of the movie, after they were married, they
    were approaching the honeymoon suite of the hotel. The male (his name was
    Roger) said he would go in and "get things ready" (or words to that effect).
    His bride responded "Awwww, Woger...." That has now become a response
    around our house for a particularly dumb remark.
    pete, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Hi there,

    Gordon wrote:
    > Okay people, while I have been reading this ng for longer than it takes
    > for a decade to pass, I am darned if I can remember who gave life to the
    > term Woger. So who was it?
    >
    > Secondly, let us in 2004 allow this term to enter the language as a word,
    > albeit as slang.
    >
    > Woger, to give crap advice 99% of the time, but advice which does get a
    > reponse.

    A response based on infuriation usually, if Woger is anything to do
    with the response.

    Not sure of the origins of 'Woger' (the term), but Woger (the NG
    bane) seems to have had origins around 1993/1994 IIRC. It was at
    that time I first noticed the rantings of a so-called 'Roger
    Sheppard', in groups like comp.sys.atari.st, and others. He
    was a Kiwi (based on a .co.nz email suffix), apparently based in
    Wellington. Myself and others in the Atari groups concluded he was
    a pimply 14 year old boy living in Wellington, whose Dad just got
    a 386 for him, as he continually knocked Ataris, Amigas, and anything
    that wasn't PC based. It seems he still uses his 386...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Gordon

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:33:18 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > Okay people, while I have been reading this ng for longer than it takes
    > for a decade to pass, I am darned if I can remember who gave life to the
    > term Woger. So who was it?

    No idea. Try searching google for woger and note the earliest occurrence ?

    > Secondly, let us in 2004 allow this term to enter the language as a word,
    > albeit as slang.

    Sounds fun.

    > Woger, to give crap advice 99% of the time, but advice which does get a
    > reponse.

    Not bad.

    How about:

    Woger pronunciation: woa¬°Ejer noun

    A follower of Wogerism;
    A person of consistently poor advice offered with juvenile insults and bad
    spelling;
    Someone who continually changes their posting alias to avoid kill
    filtering;
    Bumbling old man of annoying but harmless character;

    Examples

    "You've wogered it now, stupid!"
    "Are you a woger ?"

    Synonyms:
    Troll, trolling, foolish, incorrect, annoying, bothersome, laughable,
    myopic, fanatic, spew, disruption, irritating.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Alice: Our washing machine was taken away yesterday.
    Dave: Good heavens. What had it done?

    Note: All comments are copyright 6/01/2004 5:46:10 p.m., and are opinion
    only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my
    reccollection'.
    Brendan, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Gordon

    Nihil Guest

    In article <i43zyemlbjbz.1aq167kqwtb16$>,
    blockerDeleteIt says...

    >On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:33:18 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Okay people, while I have been reading this ng for longer than it takes
    >> for a decade to pass, I am darned if I can remember who gave life to the
    >> term Woger. So who was it?

    >No idea. Try searching google for woger and note the earliest occurrence ?

    No need, it was a dude called Malach.

    -- Nihil
    Nihil, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Gordon

    Nihil Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Gordon wrote:
    >> Okay people, while I have been reading this ng for longer than it takes
    >> for a decade to pass, I am darned if I can remember who gave life to the
    >> term Woger. So who was it?
    >>
    >> Secondly, let us in 2004 allow this term to enter the language as a word,
    >> albeit as slang.
    >>
    >> Woger, to give crap advice 99% of the time, but advice which does get a
    >> reponse.

    >A response based on infuriation usually, if Woger is anything to do
    >with the response.
    >
    >Not sure of the origins of 'Woger' (the term), but Woger (the NG
    >bane) seems to have had origins around 1993/1994 IIRC. It was at
    >that time I first noticed the rantings of a so-called 'Roger
    >Sheppard', in groups like comp.sys.atari.st, and others.

    I don't believe he was refered to as Woger back then. I'm pretty
    sure Andrew Garret aka Malach of #nz undernet irc was the first
    to use it.

    -- Nihil
    Nihil, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Gordon

    Chris Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in

    > No idea. Try searching google for woger and note the earliest
    > occurrence ?

    I did find the fallowing refarinse fhow:

    http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/LifeOfBrian/brian-23.html

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Gordon

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:45:09 GMT, Chris wrote:

    > I did find the fallowing refarinse fhow:
    >
    > http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/LifeOfBrian/brian-23.html

    It's definitely woger alright. And I'm not surprised the made a monty
    python out of him - he is STILL pretty pythonesq ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Death comes along like a gas bill one can't pay." -- Anthony Burgess

    Note: All comments are copyright 6/01/2004 11:12:17 p.m., and are opinion
    Brendan, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Gordon

    SomebodyElse Guest

    Top posted, & unsnipped with extra white space for a reason.

    Ok I'm being fairly pedantic here, but... Elsewhere recently the length of
    your sig was discussed. Here your sig outdoes the post your replying to:

    5 line post including the :
    "> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:45:09 GMT, Chris wrote:"

    Replied to using 4 lines (including blank line before & after)

    11 line signature. Getting a bit excessive isn't it?

    - Scott :p

    SomebodyElse, Jan 6, 2004
  10. On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:36:48 +0000, Nihil wrote:

    >>Not sure of the origins of 'Woger' (the term), but Woger (the NG bane)
    >>seems to have had origins around 1993/1994 IIRC. It was at that time I
    >>first noticed the rantings of a so-called 'Roger Sheppard', in groups
    >>like comp.sys.atari.st, and others.

    > I don't believe he was refered to as Woger back then. I'm pretty sure
    > Andrew Garret aka Malach of #nz undernet irc was the first to use it.

    This is about the right period. Malach was working for me when he coined
    it.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 6, 2004
  11. Hi there,

    Nihil wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Okay people, while I have been reading this ng for longer than it takes
    >>>for a decade to pass, I am darned if I can remember who gave life to the
    >>>term Woger. So who was it?
    >>>
    >>>Secondly, let us in 2004 allow this term to enter the language as a word,
    >>>albeit as slang.
    >>>
    >>>Woger, to give crap advice 99% of the time, but advice which does get a
    >>>reponse.

    >>A response based on infuriation usually, if Woger is anything to do
    >>with the response.
    >>
    >>Not sure of the origins of 'Woger' (the term), but Woger (the NG
    >>bane) seems to have had origins around 1993/1994 IIRC. It was at
    >>that time I first noticed the rantings of a so-called 'Roger
    >>Sheppard', in groups like comp.sys.atari.st, and others.

    > I don't believe he was refered to as Woger back then. I'm pretty
    > sure Andrew Garret aka Malach of #nz undernet irc was the first
    > to use it.

    Probably not back then. I'm pretty sure back then Atari users would
    refer to him as many things unprintable!! I guess that things haven't
    really changed that much... :)

    I might dig thru some archived QWK packets (good grief!) to see what
    comments Roger used to generate with his inane glop posting!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Gordon

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:47:00 +1300, SomebodyElse wrote:

    > Top posted, & unsnipped with extra white space for a reason.
    >
    > Ok I'm being fairly pedantic here, but... Elsewhere recently the length of
    > your sig was discufssed. Here your sig outdoes the post your replying to:
    >
    > 5 line post including the :
    > "> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:45:09 GMT, Chris wrote:"
    >
    > Replied to using 4 lines (including blank line before & after)
    >
    > 11 line signature. Getting a bit excessive isn't it?

    It is 5 lines long only. I am not responsible for how your reader wraps the
    text.

    I'll not be changing it this time. I've changed them in the past to meet
    the whims of the pedants, and all the while watched while dick heads - and
    others - quoted upwards of 3 pages of quotation to add ONE line to the top
    or bottom WITHOUT COMMENT from anyone here.

    So I do not consider the odd sig that is a little long for one or two
    people to be worth what has been written of it so far.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live. It is asking other people
    to live as one wishes to live." -- Oscar Wilde

    Note: All comments are copyright 7/01/2004 12:18:18 p.m., and are opinion
    Brendan, Jan 7, 2004
  13. On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:35:02 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I might dig thru some archived QWK packets (good grief!) to see what
    > comments Roger used to generate with his inane glop posting!

    No need. it's all archived on DejaGoo.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 7, 2004
  14. Gordon

    Peter KERR Guest

    Brendan claimed:

    > It is 5 lines long only. I am not responsible for how your reader wraps the
    > text.

    5 lines + 3 return chars,
    and it's your news poster that's wrapping it neatly
    at the regulation 75chars/line

    resulting in 11 lines.

    Wanking big sigs are acceptable if they contain pretty ascii art ;-)
    Peter KERR, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Gordon

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:21:53 +1300, Peter KERR <> wrote:

    >Brendan claimed:
    >>
    >> It is 5 lines long only. I am not responsible for how your reader wraps the
    >> text.
    >>

    >5 lines + 3 return chars,
    >and it's your news poster that's wrapping it neatly
    >at the regulation 75chars/line
    >
    >resulting in 11 lines.
    >
    >Wanking big sigs are acceptable if they contain pretty ascii art ;-)

    That Peter you said it this chap is a Wanker.
    K & S, Jan 8, 2004
  16. Gordon

    T.N.O. Guest

    K & S wrote:
    >>>It is 5 lines long only. I am not responsible for how your reader wraps the
    >>>text.

    >>5 lines + 3 return chars,
    >>and it's your news poster that's wrapping it neatly
    >>at the regulation 75chars/line
    >>resulting in 11 lines.
    >>Wanking big sigs are acceptable if they contain pretty ascii art ;-)

    > That Peter you said it this chap is a Wanker.

    Translation for the Woger impared...
    "That's it Peter, you said it, this chap is a wanker"
    T.N.O., Jan 8, 2004
  17. Gordon

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:03:23 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >>>5 lines + 3 return chars,
    >>>and it's your news poster that's wrapping it neatly
    >>>at the regulation 75chars/line
    >>>resulting in 11 lines.
    >>>Wanking big sigs are acceptable if they contain pretty ascii art ;-)

    >> That Peter you said it this chap is a Wanker.

    >Translation for the Woger impared...
    >"That's it Peter, you said it, this chap is a wanker"

    It was a typo should read Thanks..

    Any way there is No Woger, its a imaginary person that frustrated Idiots here
    like to kick when things do not work out..
    K & S, Jan 8, 2004
  18. Gordon

    Nihil Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:21:53 +1300, Peter KERR <> wrote:
    >
    >>Brendan claimed:
    >>>
    >>> It is 5 lines long only. I am not responsible for how your reader wraps

    the
    >>> text.
    >>>

    >>5 lines + 3 return chars,
    >>and it's your news poster that's wrapping it neatly
    >>at the regulation 75chars/line
    >>
    >>resulting in 11 lines.
    >>
    >>Wanking big sigs are acceptable if they contain pretty ascii art ;-)

    >That Peter you said it this chap is a Wanker.

    I don't think he's a wanker.

    --Nihil
    Nihil, Jan 8, 2004
  19. Gordon

    Nihil Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    the

    >>> That Peter you said it this chap is a Wanker.

    >>Translation for the Woger impared...
    >>"That's it Peter, you said it, this chap is a wanker"

    >It was a typo should read Thanks..

    Umm, that does not count as a typo.

    Face it Woger, you have the spelling and grammatical skill of a monkey.

    >Any way there is No Woger, its a imaginary person that frustrated Idiots here
    >like to kick when things do not work out..

    You're in denial Woger!

    --Nihil
    Nihil, Jan 8, 2004
  20. Gordon

    Dave Taylor Guest

    I find it ironic that the people who are concerned about counting
    characters are usually the ones who have flame wars.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 8, 2004